staffs v horses and bulls

5 posters

Go down

staffs v horses and bulls Empty staffs v horses and bulls

Post by Staffs'r'Us Thu Jan 26 2012, 14:06

I am lucky to live in the country surrounded by miles of woods and fields BUT on both our walks there are livestock in the fields through which the public footpaths cross. My dogs are kept on leads but we are experiencing more and more problems with the horses and bulls. 2 years ago my white staff and I were charged by 2 bullocks I fell to the ground and would have been trampled had my Angel not baited the bull to chase her. She hid under the hedge whilst I ran to the gate and joined her. She was on a lead but I let go when I fell. Recently we have tried twice to cross a field with horses with my 2 on a lead but the horses kept running at us and I decided against it as dogs were getting agitated. I have tried to research thus online but just forums of horse owners moaning about irresponsible dog owners worrying their horses. Was wondering if anyone who owned both dogs and horses could advise me what to do? I am merely walking my dogs on a lead through a right of way surely this should be safe. In summer the field holds a full suckler herd plus bull and I often avoid. I am running out of safe walks and that's why I moved to the country! Help!
Staffs'r'Us
Staffs'r'Us
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bob and Bubs
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

staffs v horses and bulls Empty Re: staffs v horses and bulls

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26 2012, 15:00

Bulls are banned from being in a field that has a public path in it unless it has a herd of cows with it. (are you 100% sure this is public paths) but farmers usually don't listen to this and do it anyway and god help anyone who says anything about it. All you can do is avoid it.

As for the horses, horse owners are even worse. If the horses are coming up to you wave you arms about and tell them to stop. Never think about treating them as they would only trample you to get more. If the field is owned by the person there isnt a lot you can do about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffs'r'Us Thu Jan 26 2012, 15:10

They are young bulls. They put a fresh pair in every year - I think cos they are not mature they can get round the law. You're right about the horses they appear quite aggressive. In the summer when they put the bull in with the herd there are signs. It's just frustrating as I am running out of options where to walk the dogs! There are public footpath signs on all the routes we use but it does not feel safe to use any of them!
Staffs'r'Us
Staffs'r'Us

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26 2012, 15:16

Young bulls are exempt from the law. They are meat animals being fattened for market.

I've always tried to avoid walking my dogs in fields with either horses or bullocks because there can be problems. people have been killed by trampling or crushing.

Really, all you can do is avoid the field when there are animals in them. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffs'r'Us Thu Jan 26 2012, 15:34

Bloomin farmers think they own the countryside - oh they do lol Wink why on earth call it a public footpath? Thanks everyonefor your support Big Grin
Staffs'r'Us
Staffs'r'Us

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26 2012, 15:55

Public footpaths are there for people, not dogs. Sad

Cattle & horses will rarely chase or crowd humans as long as you don't disturb them, but many will crowd & chase dogs. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid, so it's far easier to avoid it.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Jan 26 2012, 16:16

Oh dear. I'm not too sure about cattle but if a horse is threatening you you should spread your arms, make yourself big and shout at it. Horses are naturally quite flightly and this should discourage them.
You could try carrying an air horn? But this might make the cattle panic and you'd get into trouble with the farmer if they got injured. Sad
Or let the dogs bark at them, this would also scare them off, but again you could run into trouble for 'worrying' them.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Thu Jan 26 2012, 18:11

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 04:00; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
staffs v horses and bulls Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Fri Jan 27 2012, 19:00

We also live in an area where one of our favourite local walks can have cows and bulls wandering around, as well as living on a lane that is used as a bridle way so we have lots of horses walking by. Polly has been taught to ignore them so she wouldn't think of barking at them, she would rather turn tail and run in the oposite direction. The last time that we were out and the cows chased us, hubby turned around and yelled and waved his arms at the cows who couldn't get away fast enough, I then had to try to get Polly to come out of the gorse bush she was hiding in staffs v horses and bulls 149129
We now take the dogs up to a small local lake no horses and no cows.
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Sun Jan 29 2012, 13:07

i have lived with both horses, cows and staffies. my mum is a hard core horse fanatic, and i used to ride them too. if the horses go to charge you, stand your ground or charge them back and yell at them, they are quiet easy to spook if you fake bravey. the bulls on the other hand... i have actually been chase up a tree once or twice by my grandfathers when the young bulls were in, they are not like horses, they are hard to fake bravery at. if you can get your hands on a air horn that might work, of even a broom handle to give it a right smack if they get too close. I originally come from a farm, so i know how both parties feel. but if there is a public path, there should be no threatening animals in there.
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 29 2012, 23:40

Romeo wrote: but if there is a public path, there should be no threatening animals in there.

As already said, though, public footpaths are for people. No account is taken of dogs being there. So if you want to take your dog across a field, on a public footpath, and there are animals in that field, then keep your dog on a lead and on the side of you furthest away from the animals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffs'r'Us Tue Jan 31 2012, 22:37

Thank you all - we are now avoiding the horses and I'm braver with the bulls unless they are by their water or food which has conveniently been placed right by the entrance! I have discovered another walk which appears horse, cattle and dog free - for now! The digs are always on leads in these situations - I always endeavour to be responsible and follow the country code but I'm not sure the cattle and horses have read it too?!
Staffs'r'Us
Staffs'r'Us

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 22:40

Someone ought to teach them to read! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffs'r'Us Tue Jan 31 2012, 22:46

Cheers Romeo its nice to hear from someone aware of both sides although inconvenient I would never want to upset anyone - its hard to tell if horses/cattle are being curious or aggressive and when either are headed toward me I am just aware they are very BIG! It's knowing how long to act brave and when to turn tail!
Staffs'r'Us
Staffs'r'Us

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 22:51

Staffs'r'Us wrote:Cheers Romeo its nice to hear from someone aware of both sides although inconvenient I would never want to upset anyone - its hard to tell if horses/cattle are being curious or aggressive and when either are headed toward me I am just aware they are very BIG! It's knowing how long to act brave and when to turn tail!

I usually err on the side of caution! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down