' C'mere Bulls-eye! ' My favourite dog quotes from literature

2 posters

Go down

' C'mere Bulls-eye! ' My favourite dog quotes from literature Empty ' C'mere Bulls-eye! ' My favourite dog quotes from literature

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Aug 05 2011, 22:07

The hundred and one dalmatians- Dodie Smith

'And sitting there, on a newspaper, was a Staffordshire Terrier with a short clay pipe in his mouth. That is, it looked like a clay pipe. It was really made of sugar and had a fine long stem. Now the Staffordshire drew the bowl of the pipe into his mouth and ate it. Then he looked up from his newspaper- which he was reading as well as sitting on- and stared in astonishment at the army of pups rushing helter skelter towards him.
'Help, help, help!' barked Pongo. 'We are being persued. How soon can we get off this road?'
'I don't know, mate.' barked back the Staffordshire.
'You'd better hide in my van.'

The Staffordshire, wagging his tail enthusiastically, hurled himself at the man's chest, nearly knocking him down.
'Look out Bill!' said the man, over his shoulder. 'The Canine Cannon Ball's feeling frisky.'
Bill was an even larger man, but even he was shaken by the Staffordshire's loving welcome.
'Get down you Self-launched Bomb.' he shouted, with great affection.

The van stopped. The Staffordshire started to bark loudly.
'Let him out Jim.' said Bill. 'Before he breaks the sound barrier.'
Down came the tailboard. Out shot the Staffordshire. This time he managed to knock Jim right down, before turning to Bill, whom he tackled low.
'Just about winded me, he has.' said Bill, proudly. 'Grrh, you Flying Saucer, you!'
Jim got to his feet and spoke lovingly to the Staffordshire.
'If England had six of you, we shouldn't need no army.' he said. 'Come home and get your supper, you Misguided Missile.'
The Incredible Journey- Sheila Burnford

'The young dog braced himself for the inevitable attack; a few yards away the collie croached low, lips drawn back, then sprang for the vulnerable throat before him. The young dog was a hopeless fighter, lacking both the instinct and the build; for heavy and strong though he was, his mouth had been bred to carry game birds, and the jaw structure, with its soft protective lips, was a disadvantage. His only hope for survival against the razor-like slashing of the other dog's teeth lay in the thick protective folds of skin around his throat.
All too soon it was obvious that he was fast losing ground, and the effects of his inadequate diet were beginning to show in his endurance. He was on his back with the collie on top, ready to give the final slash, when the old dog took over. Up to now he had merely been an interested spectator, taking a keen interest from a proffesional point of view, for a good fight is meat and drink to a bull terrier. Now a look of pure, unholy joy appeared in the black-current eyes, and he tensed his stocky, close knit body, timing his spring with a mastery long born of practice.'

'...the terrier was enjoying himself and still eyed the collie speculatively. Then his perculiar blend of bull terrier humour got the better of him, and he used an old fighting trick of his breed, which was normally he kept, so to speak, up his sleeve, for those occasions when he intended not a killing, but merely punishment.'
Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens

'Dogs are not generally apt to revenge injuries inflicted on them by their masters; but Mr Sike's dog, having faults of temper in common with his owner, and labouring perhaps, at this moment, under a powerful sense of injury, made no more do but at once fixed his teeth into one of the half-boots. Having given it a hearty shake, he retired, growling, under a form; thereby just escaping the pewter measure which Mr Sikes levelled at his head.'

There are more I intend to add but I haven't got the time to go through all my book shelves at the moment! All quotes were copied out faithfully from the original texts. Discussion is welcome, do you like/agree with these portrayls? Do you have a favourite animal themed book, it doesn't have to be about dogs! Would anyone like to recommend dog or animal based reading, I could recommend a fair few if anyone is interested. Smile

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

' C'mere Bulls-eye! ' My favourite dog quotes from literature Empty Re: ' C'mere Bulls-eye! ' My favourite dog quotes from literature

Post by Lizzie Fri Aug 05 2011, 22:44

"Self launched bomb", "misguided missile" and "If England had 6 of you we shouldn't need no army" could all have been writted about my boy Laughing

Really enjoyed being reminded of those, thank you.

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down