CHERRY EYE AND BREEDING

3 posters

Go down

CHERRY EYE AND BREEDING Empty CHERRY EYE AND BREEDING

Post by mysticbull Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:08

We have a bitch who was born last year and has recently had op for cherry eye, i was just wondering if anyone could answer this question: can we breed from her, as we own her mother and father both of which do not and have never had cherry eye? Also all our dogs are crossguns lineage so i am uncertain how my pup has contracted cherry eye? I have read many things about it and it clearly states that it is not advisable to breed from a dog that has had cherry eye but it is also not proven to be genetic? Unless the breeders of my dogs and their grandparents breeders have lied and not told me anyone of their dogs has had cherry eye i am slightly unsure what i should do? Also she is currently a show bitch and is doing exceptionally well my vets have advised that i may breed from her where other vets have said not to? I have bred before and never come across this disorder until now so would really like some advice from people who have same prob as me?

Kind regards

Gemma
mysticbull
mysticbull
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sky, Storm, Breeze, Bliss, Duchess
Dog Gender(s) : 1 male 4 females
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

CHERRY EYE AND BREEDING Empty Re: CHERRY EYE AND BREEDING

Post by janey Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:12

Wouldn't have a clue as I only rescue! Hi and welcome to the forum though and I hope you get some answers Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:15

Hi & welcome to the forum.

As far as I'm aware, cherry eye may be caused by a hereditary weakness of the connecting tissues of the gland. The mode of inheritance is not clear, though, so breeders are discouraged from breeding from dogs with this condition.

I personally wouldn't breed from a dog that has had this condition.

I would say that you have just been unlucky, and that it isn't a case of the breeders lying to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:24

Ive not really any knowlege of cherrry eye but if its not proven to be heditery then you cant say its passed from its lineage especially if crossguns is way back and other lines added. I would only breed a dog if its for betterment of the breed and to keep exceptional dogs proginary going due to loads of dogs in rescue but depends on what vets say and also would your girl be okay its a lot to think through . Great news on showing though the cherry eye is not putting the judges off her Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:28

By the way, I don't know where you're from, but if it's the UK, you'll need to get permission to show from the Kennel Club (if you haven't already), as your dog has had an operation. You'll need to get a letter from your vet saying what the operation was for & then send it with a covering letter to the KC.

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticbull Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:33

thanks for all your replys Smile Caryll i did that and it was all ok as there is no scarring and would never know she had it thank god! I love breeding my dogs and only breed when i have enough interest as i dont believe in just doing it for the sake of making money or anything like that, also duchess (one who had cherry eye) has a while to go yet before she is old enough to breed so i shall see how i feel then really, but its always good to hear from others on their views so thank you all!

Gemma

mysticbull
mysticbull

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:35

It'd be lovely to see some pics of Duchess!

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticbull Thu Jan 26 2012, 00:17

i shall put my profile pic up of her Smile
mysticbull
mysticbull

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26 2012, 11:00

I'm not an expert but it could be a non dominant genetic disorder meaning both parents would have to have the gene in order to pass it to the offspring. Have you tried consulting other breeders to see if they have any info?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down