My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age?

3 posters

Go down

My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age? Empty My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age?

Post by jigerstar Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:51

What age does a staffy pup stop biting?
jigerstar
jigerstar
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Royce
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : -16

Back to top Go down

My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age? Empty Re: My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:54

What are you doing when he bites?

Back to top Go down

My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age? Empty Re: My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age?

Post by Jackieb Mon Jan 23 2012, 17:00

Biting or nippin like play biting ?

Mine used to do a lot of 'mouthing' they tend to explore everything with their mouth. A cpl of occasions when she would mouth too hard we said a firm 'no' and would stop the attention she was getting.
She knew it was wrong and would lick us like mad as if to apologise, really didn't take much to stop the mouthing and nips.

You don't want to be doing anything to encourage the behaviour such as rough play etc, at least until the boundaries have been set.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:57

from what i have learned today.. a dogs mouth is effectively there hand... so and i am no expert only what i have learned today and it works with so many things.... when you puppy bites your hand..say oi..( not shouting or threatening or that will just add to her aggression.) then give him something else to think about and do.. like oi...click fingers and point upwards (sit) then reward after he has got it. dont worry if it takes awhile he is still young.. and dont repeat to many time he will get confused.. distraction with anything is the key..

of course...he might think biting your hand is ok and what you want him to do as from your other threads he seems a tad aggressive for a pup anyway barking a stranger at your door etc,, and if you show him more aggression then thats how he will learn.. its all about calming signals..
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:05

of course i forgot to add, i assume its nipping rather than full on im gonna bite you, you sucker!
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My 4 month old staffy keeps on biting when does this stop what age? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down