my new staffie custard (walking)

Go down

my new staffie custard (walking) Empty my new staffie custard (walking)

Post by anne w Mon Jan 23 2012, 13:01

hi all, bought custard home sunday from the raystede dog home, she has settled, a few little accidents but being in kennels for so long that was expected ... but we are having a real problem with her walking outside. she is fine in the garden loves playing thank god we have a large garden but as far as on the lead she just lays down and wont move, even with treats !! she does seem a bit scared and i do understand that it will take time esp not knowing what she has been through as found on the streets of london, but has any one had this problem ? and any ideas will be very good Smile

Thanks

Anne

anne w
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : custard
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

my new staffie custard (walking) Empty Re: my new staffie custard (walking)

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 13:10

How old is she? It can take them a little bit of time to settle in and gain confidence to explore. I'm sure she will get to it in time. Best advice I can give is to not force it and let her discover things at her own pace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 15:52

Hi there. I have never had that problem but was thinking if Custard likes it out in your garden could you put the lead on her and just let her drag it around while she is exploring the garden, to get her used to it. Then when she is used to it pick up the end and walk with her round the garden and work up from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:51

She may have had a bad experience with the lead in her past.

If I were you I'd try letting her drag the lead around indoors for a while & then when she seems ok with it, just pick it up and let her lead you around. Once she's comfortable you can then introduce a little tug to lead her where you want to go.

Oh, and have plenty of treats handy for a reward!

Back to top Go down

Post by anne w Mon Jan 23 2012, 18:32

hi.. thanks for all your advice will give the lead around the garden and house a go, i think the main prob is that shes scared of the road and cars etc.. and as iv been watching her today she seems to know her garden is safe so she feels cmfortable and at ease there . on a postive note she has had us in the garden most of the day playing footy and throwing her ball Smile so i reckon shes had a good bit of excercise !!

anne w

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : custard
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down