Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie

3 posters

Go down

Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie Empty Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie

Post by angjane Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:28

hi, my 8 year old female staffie has been acting very strange over the last week or so.

She keeps standing by the dining table staring at the wall or the table she has also taken to standing next to the radiator. She normally loves her bed which is looked after and clean. I ask her to get into her bed and she refuses. she seems to go to sleep in her bed over night though.

she also seems to drink rather alot lately too. she is eating normally healthy appetite. Although she had a couple of days of being off food.

I have also noticed she is eating more grass but no apparent vomiting. she is also in and out of the garden..sometimes just out and in.

she has taken to following my husband around constantly by his side wherever he goes...he makes a fuss of her then she gets hyperactive in a very big way...when you ask her what s wrong she looks up as if she is trying to tell you something and is very exciteable!! then she goes back to being strange...standing pacing and head hanging...wierd i know.

she has had a tick looking lump between her shoulder blades for about a year which is not a tick but its slightly bigger and bothers her if you touch it. doubt its anything to do with that.

I have looked online and cant believe that dementia is an issue as she is only 8.

could anyone shed light on this behaviour or perhaps a vets visit is needed your help is very much appreciated.

angela

angjane
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie Empty Re: Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 13:05

Hi & welcome.

Oh, dear, there are so many things that it could be. Dementia is certainly one, despite her only being 8 years old, a slight stroke could be another. However, it could also be anxiety over something that you haven't noticed!

I would take her for a thorough check up at the vets - by all means mention the lump - as it could be something that's very easy to treat!

Please do let us know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie Empty Re: Standing, staring, walking about acting so strange my staffie

Post by Kathy Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:34

Could be any number of things, have you changed her food recently. If you have the central heating on this may explain the extra water drinking.

May be well to have a vet give her a thorough check over to put your mind at rest if nothing else.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by angjane Wed Jan 09 2013, 08:32

Hi All, Thank you for your replies, We changed her food from wet to dry about 6 weeks ago now but she was on that dry food for a couple of years previously so perhaps not food.

Dementia could be an issue then, the other thing is my husband is very sick and has been in bed for 10 days getting up briefly so perhaps she is feeling unsettled by this as she adores him, im talking like she is human!! but she thinks she is a human!

will keep an eye on her this week and maybe book her into vets.

Angela

angjane

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 08:46

Don't forget to come back and let us know how she gets on and what the cause was.
Also hope the OH hasn't got man flu. It's soooo painful and dangerous Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jan 09 2013, 09:35

I would suggest a trip to the vet too just to rule anything out. Do let us know how you are getting on.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 09:49

I would go to the vet to see what the problem is just to be safe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 10:46

Mike wrote:
Also hope the OH hasn't got man flu. It's soooo painful and dangerous Wink

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by angjane Wed Jan 09 2013, 10:49

HMmmm...not man flu! or is it! ....

angjane

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 10:55

angjane wrote:HMmmm...not man flu! or is it! ....

OMG! Don't encourage him! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 21:58

>Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 19:18

A visit to the vets may be your safest option. If she's had that lump for a year, the vet should hear about that.

Best of luck to you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 19:20

How's things?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 20:40

Im sorry your girl doesnt sound well Sad
Drinking alot can be a sign of many things, but 1 thing that stands out is Kidney failure.
Dementia could also be the reason she's standing and stairing at the walls.
My old girl Blitz had Kidney Failure and Dementia.
My advice would be to get her checked with the vet.
Kidney failure can be managed by diet, binders and in some cases tablets.
I hope she's ok, please, keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 20:55

Im no expert on Dementia, but can speak from experiance with our old girl. For some quite some time before we lost her, she began acting strange, sometimes she would act as if the days were night, and vice versa. She'd be pace the house all hours, acting confused. On occasion she would look at us as if we were strangers. Things steadly went down hill. She'd walk under tables, walk into walls, stare at unseen objects. She'd seem to seek the smallest spaces to fit in, and stare blankly. Nearer the end, she would jump back into a sitting position and blink very fast as if something was or some1 was about to strike her. The vet said at this could of been the Dementia worsening or she had developed epilpsy.
Sadly, we lost her not long after.
Please, when you read my 2 posts, dont think " this is it", it could be many things. Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 23:19

My dog had a significant stroke (by significant i mean we had to let her go) but her behaviour was walking in circles constantly and her face was literally drooped on one side and she was panting heavily even though it wasn't warm. She would lie down randomly and jump up like something had bit her. She would try to eat but not successfully and she drank but not very...normally.

Hope you find out what is wrong with your girl x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13 2013, 23:08

Any news , i hope she's well x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down