Heart Failure

5 posters

Go down

Sleepy Heart Failure

Post by kathie450 Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:39

I have a 13.5 year old staffy bitch who has been diagnosed with heart failure. The vet has put her on Fortekor 5mg tablets one a day. She has been on them for a week and not much difference has been seen with her having her little "episodes". I can only describe them as "fainting". She gets a bit breathless then falls to the floor, but doesn`t go unconsious very often.In fact that has only happened twice. After a few minutes she is fine and carries on wth whatever she was doing before. The vet has said that she may have one big attack and not recover from it. Has anyone else had this problem with their pooch?
kathie450
kathie450
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: Heart Failure

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:44

Hi & welcome.

So sorry to hear about your girl. It's so worrying when these things happen. Although I've not experienced it myself I've known others who have.

A Bull Terrier owner is going through a similar thing at the moment - her BT was diagnosed with Heart failure about 6 months ago & is on medication. She has little episodes like yours, but is still going strong at the moment. Hope that helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:54

Hi, thanks for that! I think it`s maybe a case of finding the meds for her, but It scares the bejezus out of me when she has these episodes. Off to the vet again on Wed for another check up and maybe change of meds.
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:57

Never experienced it myself, nor known anyone that has so all I can say is we are all here if you ever need a vent and ear to listen. Hiya from me and Moo and I really hope you can find the right meds so your girl can lead a near normal life Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 18:03

aw so sorry to hear that. haent had anything like that but my thoughts are with you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:41

So sorry to hear this. Older dogs always cause you to worry. Hope the medicine works for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:48

I can only guess at how frightening and distressing that would be. I hope they can figure out a regimen that helps her.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 22 2012, 21:12

Hi and welcome Kathie from Rocky and me. That must be very upsetting and not to mention scary for you. Not had to deal with anything like that myself sorry can't be of much help. Change of medication may be the answer. Fingers crossed for you >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Jan 22 2012, 22:20

Sorry cant help but hope you get the help she needs >Big Grin<
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 15:43

hi there Kathie ... I can't help you either but as the owner of Jethro who is 12 and a half I am always interested in older staffy posts. Hope they sort out the right medication for you and Esta.

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Mon Jan 23 2012, 17:28

Hi Vanessa,
Esta went to the vet again this afternoon and has been put on different tablets and also had a blood test to see if she has a high enzyme reading. If she has then she definately has heart failure as he suspects. Its horible to know that at any time she could have an attack and not recover. Hope your boy is ok and healthy!
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 15:24

Hi Kathie.
Don't know when you get the results of Esta's tests but hope all goes well.
My vet said Jethro is great for his age ..( though he has had a few big ops the last 2 years..lumps and warts cut off...haematoma and compacted salivary glands ) But he has always been an anxious boy... scared of his own shadow..and I reckon he is starting to get a bit of doggie dementia. He takes arthritis powder and oil everyday and that has really helped to keep him mobile too.
Give your precious girl a cuddle for me! X

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Wed Jan 25 2012, 16:49

Hi Vanessa, just to let you know that Esta has had her blood results back today. Not good news unfortunately. It`s confirmed she has heart disease which showed in the enzymes in her blood. Very high levels apparently. She is on new meds but again not doing much. The vet said he could put her on meds not licenced for dogs and would give here side effects but I have decided against that. She has enough to cope with I reckon. She`s not in pain or discomfort at the moment so I`ll keep going with the meds she`s on for now. If and when things change then I`ll re-assess the situation. She`s such a happy little girl, I hate this happening to her Crying or Very sad I`m really glad that Jethro is doing well. Esta has omega 3 oils in capsules that are keeping her mobile and it`s doing her coat good too! Have given her the hug and she sends one back to Jethro!! xx
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:14

oh Kathie that wasn't the news I would like to have heard...and I am damn sure it wasn't what you wanted to hear either!
yes there isn't alot you can do really is there.. like you say as long as your precious girl isn't in pain..that is the main thing.
wish I could do or say something to help...
take care XX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 25 2012, 23:03

Let's hope that the meds will at least keep her comfortable.

Like Vanessa, I'd love to be able to say or do something to make it all go away, but I can't. Sad

Please do stick around & keep us updated, though. And we'd love to see some pics of Esta when you have time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down