What are our rights? (South African law)

5 posters

Go down

What are our rights? (South African law) Empty What are our rights? (South African law)

Post by Vish Mon Jan 09 2012, 07:55

So we live in a house but next to a gated security complex of freestanding homes.
So one of our neighbours is a resident of that security complex.
Yesterday for the first time we receive a note on our front driveway gate saying that we need to do something about our puppies barking else he will get the body corporate of his complex to sign a petition (don't know what the petition will state)

What are our rights and what can he do according to the law in South Africa? Can he get our pups taken away or make us give them away?

Does anyone know...? at wits end
Vish
Vish
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter & Zoë
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

What are our rights? (South African law) Empty Re: What are our rights? (South African law)

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 07:59

Not sure, but whatever you find out, I hope it all works out .. would hate for them to be taken away, that's a bit harsh ! Sad

Back to top Go down

What are our rights? (South African law) Empty Re: What are our rights? (South African law)

Post by Vish Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:04

Me too... hope it all works out!

We've never been good friends nor enemies... just civil neighbours who greet each other when we do see each other in the one year we've lived at our place.

If there was a problem, why not approach us and explain the issue and look for a solution together as opposed to being an arrogant b@st@rd!!
Vish
Vish

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter & Zoë
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:14

I have a neighbour like yours, althouth our differences aren't to do with pets, but bloody parking spaces ! Although he did say to me once when he first seen Monty 'shouldn't he be on the safety register ?. Cheeky b.stard I should have got Monty to bite his nackers !!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:29

Hell No! Tell him to bring it on! Seriously you will need to check on by-laws about dogs/barking but all he can do is lodge a complaint. Your dogs can only be removed by a court order and that is very hard to get.

I would approach him in any event and see if this can be resolved in a friendly manner. Dogs bark so get over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:35

Ty wrote:
I would approach him in any event and see if this can be resolved in a friendly manner. Dogs bark so get over it.

Agreed with this. Sounds like he's just a miserable old sh1te !

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 09 2012, 14:44

when we had River i think it was 3 days a miersable old man had a go.. told me he was gonna report me.. i asked for what, he said for treading on my grass. to which i replyed " wot like this" then procedded to stamp on his grass Blushing infact it turned nasty and i stoped on it twice and he assulted me lol.. but i stood my ground and said if you report me for walking past your house with my dog i will have you for assult so wot its gonna be?.. to which he whacked out a few more insults and went inside Laughing not a good advocate i know and i did provoke him but dont start on me 16 yr old son or the momma gets mad Laughing Laughing i was nice at first but he was all aggressive and i dont have aggression from me, i am a women and men dont talk to women like that....

i hop eit works out for you thou if you try being nice it should all be ok. have you searched on google for any info.. google is my friend in times of trouble.. Smile
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What are our rights? (South African law) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 09 2012, 15:12

I would send him a letter in the post saying if he prespasses on your property again you will prosecute him. Dogs bark, it's what they do. I have tried to be nice with people like this and it dosn't work they just don't get it. You have to be firm and authoritive. Be sure of your legal requirements to owning a pet where you live, what it states in your tenancy agreement for example.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Tue Jan 10 2012, 08:14

Hi Vish.

We live in Port Elizabeth, within a security complex. If your house is not in the complex their body corporate can do nothing about your dogs. They have a say about dogs within their own complex, limiting the number of dogs, removing unruly dogs etc. They have no right over your dogs as you do not form part of the complex. They can make a complaint to some animal group, or the police, but I don't think anything will come from it. You might get a warning to keep your dogs quiet etc, but they won't just take your dogs away. In my opinion, he is using scare tactics - besides, not all people in his complex will sigh the petition, because they wont even know about your dogs. He is probably closest to you.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 08:39

Duke of Lorraine wrote:Hi Vish.

besides, not all people in his complex will sigh the petition, because they wont even know about your dogs. He is probably closest to you.

That's a very good point, I wouldn't worry, although I'm sure you are, but do keep us posted if he tries anything on ! Maybe we can all come over with our dogs and have a dog party, then we will show him what barking really is about Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:24

Thanks Lynne (Ty) and Chanty (Duke of Lorraine), so glad we have others here from SA.

If the law's anything like it is here, the police won't give a damn and the local authorities might bother to send you a letter asking you to ensure that your dogs aren't a nuisance.

Are your dogs kept outside? Do you know how much they bark?

Back to top Go down

Post by woolfie Sat Jan 14 2012, 12:29

little things like keeping doors and windows closed which face towards problem neighbour might be enough to deaden the sound he receives in his home. if all else fails tell him that if he has your dogs removed you will buy 12 of the largest speakers you can find and play some awful music for him to enjoy instead Wink

woolfie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zulu
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down