Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...?

+3
jshrew
Steve
flame
7 posters

Go down

Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? Empty Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...?

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:30

hi all nail biting

Is there anyone who lives in Essex on the forum who knows where they is a good place where i can take river and let her off the lead and give her some proper exercise. i want to let her of the lead so she can have some training on recall ( so far her recall has been good. She looks for me wherever i go and comes when called) and also to have a good run. there is a place near to me, a country park but that's mainly for kids and there are loads of people with dogs who react in a not so nice way. We do go there sometimes but its not really ideal for what im looking for. ( i do know i have to be aware of other dogs kids and stuff) she is mostly always on the lead and i would like to explore new places with her rather than the same old places with the same old reactions thanks Smile
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? Empty Re: Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...?

Post by Steve Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:40

dont you have an playing field?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? Empty Re: Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...?

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:44

no i dont think so. Where i live its mostly private and where there are playing fields its surrounded by houses like a square and full of kids and parks and has signs up Sad.
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:46

do you have any rivers near by?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:51

i dint know but i will do a google search! what a cunning plan. thank you. there is one at the bottom of our road, well more like a stream with a puddle haha..but again in a built up area..
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jan 08 2012, 14:57

you could just walk on the streets but you will have to keep her on the leads, becasue she on the lead double your walking time.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:13

i do walk her on the streets, there is a little green type thing at the bottom of where i live we go to take about 40 there and back, i just wanted her to have a good run, and practice recall and be able to play fetch and stuff. as i have said there is the country park but cant do much there as im on the look out all the time and in panic mode. thank you
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:22

I have the problem that Ledger has to be in the right mood to come back on command tbh he does about 80% but its not enough for him to go off lead regularly I just carefully select when I'm in an area that I can see no other distractions are about and don't push my luck with how long he is off lead its a shame as he loves a good run but until he is 100% he will remain on the flexi lead (I tried one of those 10m long lines but found it really difficult to handle)

I also keep meaning to take him upto the beach figuring the lack of trees and possible squirrels and a good view in all directions will be better for giving him a bit of freedom
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:22

We have the same problem. Nowhere to let Rocky off lead and have a run so just have an hour walking on the lead a couple of times a day. This can become boring though. Our local park is always full of dogs and not always ones that get on well with Rocky. He has been attacked recently and is now very nervous around dogs too.

It would be great to have a field or someplace where he can run free, it's so frustrating. We have long leads of about 5 metres so he gets a run though.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:27

i might just go and buy one of those extending lead on string things...least she coul dhave a bit of a run.. walking gets boring for them well and me lol
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jan 08 2012, 15:34

flexi compact 3 for large dogs

one of these
Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUBLtRwqG9GLPJyuJ5sS2UzPFdFLZ_3mTw-zRyhHdFWq5tZE9n

not one of these
Anywhere in Essex where we can do the exercise thing...? 41eRh3Kx1AL._SL500_AA300_

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 16:28

ok yes one of those..is it because the other one at the bottom would break?
thanks
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:37

We are in the same situation. We live near a big bank which is used by a lot of dog walker but there are too many corners and bushes etc that people suddenly spring upon you from. Tinkerbell's recall is not great so we need to do some serious work on this. With no distractions around it is good but if she so much and smells another dog or sees a person she would be off to great them.

We use a flexi lead for her which is great. She has the freedom but I feel more at ease that she is still attached to it. She stops dead when I say wait so running her back in is easy.

We have a field in front of the house which is enclosed with a fence and on one side the drop is so great if she did get out she wouldn't be able to get down. But on either side there is a wall which is lowered which allows access to and from the field. We went in there for the first time yesterday. But I did watch for dogs etc. As it happened she was so busy playing there was no way she was going to run away to see anyone. But in the summer it will be different because it is always full of dogs so she will have distractions.

For walking on her recall or allowing her some freedom you could try a long line. This trails on the floor but can be better than a flexi lead. I aim to get one, but for now it is easier to use a flexi as I only normally have one hand free because I have my little one in the buggy too!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Mon Jan 09 2012, 21:49

Where in Essex do you live? I'm training recall with Ty now. We have got him a 50ft training lead off e bay. All in with delivery was under £9.

Heres the link..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-FT-TRAINING-TRACKING-DOG-LEAD-LARGE-BLACK-/110734778238?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item19c84e9f7e

Last edited by Caryll on Mon Dec 17 2012, 15:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please use full links, not shortened ones. Thank you!)
Jon
Jon
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 09 2012, 23:33

thank you will check the link now. i know Essex is a big place lol. i live near Colchester.
flame
flame

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Mon Dec 17 2012, 13:57

I live next to Epping Forest. Still in Essex and it's amazing for dogs! My staffy x goes there every day for 1, 2 hours. He loves it. Let me know if you want to come around and we could do a staffy walk.
Mani
Mani

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down