Thunderstorms

Go down

Thunderstorms Empty Thunderstorms

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 00:35

Okay, we've been pretty lucky we think so far... Vlad seems to be fairly relaxed with big bangs of thunder, lightning, rail and hail. He was woken the other night by a huge crash, but settled back down when my husband heard him cry out when it happened and went out and soothed him. Last night and early this morning it was so loud it sounded like someone was letting off bombs and as we have a colour bond iron roof, the hail was deafening... and Vlad slept through until after 8.30am! We've tried to make him see we aren't worried about them and if there is a bit of rain or noise, he's fine... so he'll go out and pee and poo and if he is in the mood will play in the rain. What I would like to know, is does this change and is he only like this because he's a fearless little puppy that is still happy exploring?

Back to top Go down

Thunderstorms Empty Re: Thunderstorms

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 03:27

That's great Alicia, well done Vlad thumbs up

Kita has always been like that, unfortunately Izzy doesn't have that gene Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Sun Dec 25 2011, 09:33

We've just had 4 odd hours of non stop thunder this afternoon. Thankfully Jimi doesn't bat an eyelid, it doesn't bother him at all.
Summerisle
Summerisle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 11:57

thats good he isn't bothered. either is Russell, I got up at 3am (woken by the storm too) and let him inside (not because he was upset by the storm, he was happy and snug in his kennel under the veranda, but I felt like he should be scared and come inside hehe).

I think it can change, only because people we know have a staffy who can't stand storms but it only came about as he got older, he is 12 years old now. but he wasn't worried when he was younger. I think it has something to do with air pressure and things as well that make them uncomfortable

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 12:28

Mine have never been too bothered by storms. They were a bit scared as pups but as they grew up it didn't bother them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 13:43

pixie79 wrote:Okay, we've been pretty lucky we think so far... Vlad seems to be fairly relaxed with big bangs of thunder, lightning, rail and hail. He was woken the other night by a huge crash, but settled back down when my husband heard him cry out when it happened and went out and soothed him. Last night and early this morning it was so loud it sounded like someone was letting off bombs and as we have a colour bond iron roof, the hail was deafening... and Vlad slept through until after 8.30am! We've tried to make him see we aren't worried about them and if there is a bit of rain or noise, he's fine... so he'll go out and pee and poo and if he is in the mood will play in the rain. What I would like to know, is does this change and is he only like this because he's a fearless little puppy that is still happy exploring?

You might have hit the nail on the head there as Tilly sems to get more and more edgy as she gets that bit older, but its the stupid things that get her like riding in the car when she can see daddy in the front and she turns into a quivering wreck, thunderstorms don't seem to bother her or fireworks as long as the house isn't deathly quiet with all that going on outside, sometimes we just leave the TV on all night (low) and she seems to cope fine.

We have bought her a Thundershirt for in the car , tried it once so far and she was still a quivering wreck but she did look pretty Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 26 2011, 01:53

Pups have several 'fear stages'; one at 8-11 weeks, one at 6-14 months, and some say that there is another one in between (although this hasn't been scientifically proved). During those periods you should try to avoid scenarios that will scare your pup/young dog.
http://www.doglistener.co.uk/puppies/criticalperiods.shtml

If you think he's getting worried by thunder, try investing in a Thundershirt - they really do work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 07:55

Thanks everyone Big Grin Hopefully he remains to not be too fussed about thunderstorms, but we will definitely look into a Thundershirt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 11:36

I wonder if these would work for other situations such as adapting to a new home, learning to walk on lead. flying etc. Antone have any experience?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 13:39

I think that we should not 'reward' any anxiety with cuddles as this reinforces the negative reaction. Just continuing on as if everything is is normal is the way to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 14:41

jstaff wrote:I wonder if these would work for other situations such as adapting to a new home, learning to walk on lead. flying etc. Antone have any experience?

They are for all situations where a dog gets anxious , so flying , driving , separation anxiety, fireworks, highly recommended and used by vets and all in all about an 80% success rate apparently. Check out Vanessa's post. They were being pushed big style at Crufts this year

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3905-thundershirts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down