What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers.

+11
Rob
Irene
harlou
alexiastra
Dan
Andy
Skullkandi
perry1960
Steve
janey
jigerstar
15 posters

Go down

lock What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers.

Post by jigerstar Wed Dec 21 2011, 21:47

I just want to know because some people told me staffys will love strangers for there whole life and never guard you is that true and what age will they become wary of strangers because I live in quiet a rough area and I fear for myself and my dog that we might get attacked so I want the dog to be wary of situations like this its making me think twice about making him socialize with other people but only my family.
jigerstar
jigerstar
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Royce
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : -16

Back to top Go down

lock Re: What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers.

Post by janey Wed Dec 21 2011, 21:52

Can't really help, mine loves everyone. She gets protective now and agan over the odd person.

IMO there not really that great for protection, there to soft x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

lock Re: What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers.

Post by Steve Wed Dec 21 2011, 22:01

you keep asking some every dodgy questions... you should be able to look aftyer yourself, if you cant get to the gym or an boxing club...

an staffy wouldn't stop me getting to you!!

Last edited by Steve on Wed Dec 21 2011, 22:16; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21 2011, 22:02

we have had lemmy since he was 8 weeks and he thinks everyone is his friend and loves nothing more than to say hello and be fussed by strangers and people we know. lottie however is a rescue and she has had some crap to put up with so she thinks the whole world is out to get her. it depends i supose on how you bring up your dog

Back to top Go down

Post by perry1960 Wed Dec 21 2011, 22:29

Steve wrote:you keep asking some every dodgy questions... you should be able to look aftyer yourself, if you cant get to the gym or an boxing club...

well said steve applause
perry1960
perry1960
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : BOYCIE
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 00:15

Steve wrote:

promises promises Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 00:40

If you'd wanted a protection dog you shouldn't have got a staff! Most staffs love friends & strangers alike, and that's how it should be. I hope you don't intend to train your dog to be aggressive towards people, because all that will do is get staffs an even worse name than they already have, and will end up with your dog being put to sleep by the authorities.

Do you actually have a staff? Because we still haven't seen any pics, and your avatar is an American Bully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Thu Dec 22 2011, 13:15

Caryll wrote:If you'd wanted a protection dog you shouldn't have got a staff! Most staffs love friends & strangers alike, and that's how it should be. I hope you don't intend to train your dog to be aggressive towards people, because all that will do is get staffs an even worse name than they already have, and will end up with your dog being put to sleep by the authorities.

Do you actually have a staff? Because we still haven't seen any pics, and your avatar is an American Bully.

This is very true. A Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a properly bred and trained one will not be an "agressive" dog. You want a status dog or a protection staffy? Look at some backstreet breeders or a large stafford or an American Bully or something. I have to back up what Caryll said, please don't try and train the dog to be human aggressive. I don't want to go into this any more...it's a dangerous topic.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Dec 22 2011, 13:59

Steve wrote:you keep asking some every dodgy questions... you should be able to look aftyer yourself, if you cant get to the gym or an boxing club...

My sentaments exactly Straight Face
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:34

Staffs aren't the dogs that spring to mind when I think of protection, they love people far too much. I know Bella is still young but she amazes me every day with how happy and excited she gets to just see people walking past her and I love that she is that way.
And I have to agree with both Steve and Caryll, if a staff is people aggressive it wouldn't be a deterrent (not in the rough areas around here anyway) and would be destroyed by the authorities

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:36

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Question: How does the American Bully differ from Staff (i.e. breed standards)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:39

there 5 different type of american bully probably the main reason they wont be added to the KC official breed any time soon.

you get from pocket size to extremely big ones

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:41

About 70lbs ... Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:42

http://theabkcdogs.org/breeds/american-bully/standard/

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Dec 22 2011, 14:59

My Jack is very placid/friendly boy to everyone and I hope that never changes.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Dec 22 2011, 15:10

Steve wrote:http://theabkcdogs.org/breeds/american-bully/standard/

Blimey, some of those doggies are WIDE!
alexiastra
alexiastra
What age does a staffordshire bull terrier start getting wary of strangers. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 15:14

Well, my RoXy is a "X" but i'm sure she's convinced that everybody and everything is put on this earth to be her best friend....she wants to say "Hi" to everybody, complete with super-waggy tail and slobbery kisses

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 17:04

Steve: Thanks, Andy Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Thu Dec 22 2011, 17:11

my Olly loves everyone,and all dogs ,he was just attacked today by a nasty little french bulldog it bit his eyelid all he wanted to do was play !
the owner then said hes never done that before ! I BET !!!!
harlou
harlou

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Thu Dec 22 2011, 17:31

harlou wrote:my Olly loves everyone,and all dogs ,he was just attacked today by a nasty little french bulldog it bit his eyelid all he wanted to do was play !
the owner then said hes never done that before ! I BET !!!!

Poor Olly Sad hope he is ok x x

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Thu Dec 22 2011, 17:36

I would be more concerned by the fact that staffys are so easily stolen due to their love and trust in people, rather than when will my dog protect me...
Rob
Rob

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Thu Dec 22 2011, 17:45

If you want a dog for protection theres plenty out there that can be trained to do that job, you dont want a staffy to do that job, as everyone says there people loving dogs and for the breed thats how they should stay..
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 18:45

They love every one. To be honest i am worried about the content of your messages. If you are afraid for yourself move, if you are afraid your dog might get attacked, dont get a dog. Staffies are NOT guard dogs and should not be treated as such. It only fuels the stereotype.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 19:43

If you have bought a Stafford to be wary of people and protect you then you have the wrong breed of dog a Stafford craves human attention if you come under serious threat then any dog would protect you not just a Stafford

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 19:45

Staffys love people

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Thu Dec 22 2011, 20:34

Steve wrote:http://theabkcdogs.org/breeds/american-bully/standard/

I've always felt sorry for this breed of dog. The only type I'd ever have is a Classic build and THAT would be used for guarding and protection. The rest just make me think: "Nice hippo."
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jigerstar Sat Dec 24 2011, 15:36

To be honest there not the wrong breed for protection my fellow friend has one and its massive brindle and white and his dog protected him when he was attacked the dog lunged at the attack bit through his arm and left the guy paralyzed and the police did not put the dog down because there were witnesses so to be honest my personal opinion staffys can guard if they want to and they are highly protective when it comes to the situation the only thing there not protective of is your property and FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT TRAINING MY DOG TO BE AGGRESSIVE IF SOMEONE ELSE SAYS THAT I'M JUST GOING TO IGNORE WHAT YOU SAY.
jigerstar
jigerstar

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Royce
Support total : -16

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Dec 24 2011, 15:41

If an dog was attacking me i would pull his front legs apart!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat Dec 24 2011, 16:43

I don't want to have Milo as a guard dog or to defend me when out but I do feel more comfortable when he's with me! Before I got him I'd never walk in the woods on my own, yet I know he's likely not going to do anything to defend me or my children at all! doh He seems like a pu*sy cat to me justt he other day he was seen off by our pet hen!! rolling on the floor

I kind of think I know what jigerstar is getting at though tbh. Some people are vulnerable for all manner of reasons. I think if someone wanted to mug me or such I doubt I'd be capable of looking after myself but I'd like to think I'd give them a blinking good run for their money! My husbands' best friend who's a 6'4 fit, rugby player and his friend who's also a big lad got floored and beaten up about 4 years ago by a group of awful thugs the other guy landed up in a London hospital with a severe head injury as he was struck by some kind of blunt instrument. I think they had little chance being against a group big, fit healthy lads or not, you just can't tell especially if weapons come into play banghead I can't put into polite words what I think of people like that Sad
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 16:47

jigerstar wrote:To be honest there not the wrong breed for protection my fellow friend has one and its massive brindle and white and his dog protected him when he was attacked the dog lunged at the attack bit through his arm and left the guy paralyzed and the police did not put the dog down because there were witnesses so to be honest my personal opinion staffys can guard if they want to and they are highly protective when it comes to the situation the only thing there not protective of is your property and FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT TRAINING MY DOG TO BE AGGRESSIVE IF SOMEONE ELSE SAYS THAT I'M JUST GOING TO IGNORE WHAT YOU SAY.

They are the wrong breed to choose specifically for protection. Yes, some (most?) will protect their owners, but not all. The staff as a breed is extremely human friendly, and many staffs would only use sufficient force to ward off someone they think is a danger - ie they may bark or growl, but would not attack unless highly provocated to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat Dec 24 2011, 16:48

I forgot to say lol!! The american bully's are not my cup of tea at all although the classic I think is very nice apart from the clipped ears! The extreme is just plain wrong in mho and looks like an inbred! I feel really sorry for these dogs and other who are pure breed such as the pug with it's squashed up and inward features and the basset off the top of me head for eg my opinion though that's all.
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sat Dec 24 2011, 16:54

Well, it's always nice to feel your dog is on your side, because there is only so much that one human can do against thugs and a dog is can be a brilliant preventative measure, especially if it looks the part. It doesn't have to be madly aggressive, but either way, they'll put someone off.

Poor Am bullies, bless them.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat Dec 24 2011, 17:05

you know Jazz poor am. Bullies Sad they remind me of Belgian Blue cows that have double muscle

GOOGLE BELGIAN BLUE CATTLE
SHOCKING!!
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sat Dec 24 2011, 18:10

Staffy looks intimidating and are very strong animals but they not guard dogs and it's not in there nature to be violently aggressive.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 19:10

jigerstar wrote:To be honest there not the wrong breed for protection my fellow friend has one and its massive brindle and white and his dog protected him when he was attacked the dog lunged at the attack bit through his arm and left the guy paralyzed and the police did not put the dog down because there were witnesses so to be honest my personal opinion staffys can guard if they want to and they are highly protective when it comes to the situation the only thing there not protective of is your property and FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT TRAINING MY DOG TO BE AGGRESSIVE IF SOMEONE ELSE SAYS THAT I'M JUST GOING TO IGNORE WHAT YOU SAY.

STAFFIES ARE NOT AND WILL NEVER BE GUARD DOGS, they seriously love people waaaaaaay to much and you should not have got one if that was your intention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sat Dec 24 2011, 20:02

EDIT: Just seen the reminder of the topic and too answer that. If you're going to get a dog of any sort socialise it with everyone to a point. Listen Jigg, go to a Protection Dog site, Schutzhund, to be exact and do some reading into Protection training etc etc. That will tell you everything you need to know. That's where I get my training material from.

Well, I can see where Jigg is coming from, but I can also see what you guys are saying. I am lucky with my lad that I have actually been able to train him for very very BASIC protection, but I would never ever rely on him.
Wanting a Stafford or a dog to protection for the right reasons does NOT mean you are a coward.
I'm sorry to say Jigg, that you would be better off choosing an ACTUAL guarding breed or something along the same lines, but is also legal. Start looking at certain Mastiff crosses or maybe even Ridgeback crosses. A staffy is not going to live up to your protection expectations. Watchdog, maybe, but that would be all. They would not attack.
I would honestly start looking at a different breed, sorry sweetheart.
But I think your question are just curiosity and I'm happy to help out with that. No fear.
I'm not having a go, and hopefully that shows. I'm chilled to answer these questions, but yeah, this forums isn't for those types of questions, I do believe.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 22:13

jigerstar wrote:I just want to know because some people told me staffys will love strangers for there whole life and never guard you is that true and what age will they become wary of strangers because I live in quiet a rough area and I fear for myself and my dog that we might get attacked so I want the dog to be wary of situations like this its making me think twice about making him socialize with other people but only my family.

jigerstar staffys will deff protect you against dog attacks but wont be very good with an attacker sorry
ps have you just moved as in an earlier post you said you lived in a quiet area

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 13:21

bigwazza wrote:
jigerstar wrote:I just want to know because some people told me staffys will love strangers for there whole life and never guard you is that true and what age will they become wary of strangers because I live in quiet a rough area and I fear for myself and my dog that we might get attacked so I want the dog to be wary of situations like this its making me think twice about making him socialize with other people but only my family.

jigerstar staffys will deff protect you against dog attacks but wont be very good with an attacker sorry
ps have you just moved as in an earlier post you said you lived in a quiet area

Hahaha I thought that too, mabe they wear maybe they are a street full of Ninjas that can do untold harm without anyone hearing , and I don't think a staffy will help out there either Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Tue Dec 27 2011, 17:39

If i can work out how to upload pictures i will upload some of my olly ,who is a very big muscular staffy ,one person jokinglly said he has a head like a skip! He is the most gentle loving dog i have owned he would smother anyone with kissessssss people or dogs that why nasty yappy little pests keep biting him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harlou
harlou

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Tue Dec 27 2011, 21:14

Laughing Is this guy for real???!!!! Seen some of the posts on here and it all screams troll to me! Some people seriously have too much time on their hands.

If your bored and want something to do come do my housework for me instead of posting stupid messages!!!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by skewbald Wed Dec 28 2011, 06:48

This person seriously does not have a notion! He comes out with such baloney! I have tryed given this person the benefit of my doubts! But Hi u have 2 draw the line at some point! He's either a blaggard r just on something! Take urself off somewhere dont b wasting anymore time! Go play on the swings kid!
skewbald
skewbald
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MURPHY
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 08:21

My Vlad just loves everyone too much. He wants to be friends with everyone... has no aggressiveness in him, and I truly believe that is the way he'll always be. Other dogs, people and animals are all lifeforms he thinks are his friends... Love the comparison to them having a head like a skip! LOL. The most damage Vlad would cause is when he comes running over to me and almost send me flying as he jumps into me for a big fuss! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 28 2011, 19:08

This topic is now locked. It is going round in circles and annoying members.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down