Steve
Beccaface
Kathy
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

decided to get the snip Empty decided to get the snip

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 06:21

I had always planned to have Russell castrated, but the OH had other ideas, he wanted to get puppies from him but after hearing all the stories on here I convinced him that it was not a good idea to breed him with all the Staffy dogs in shelters etc..
but also from reading on here I decided keeping him intact wouldn't be such a bad thing and planned to only have him de sexed later in life to avoid health issues.

lately Russell has been losing his patients a lot with younger dogs (the two staffy boys that he spends a lot of his time with). and it is not that he just snaps once and lets it go, he actually gets into an all out brawl with them without warning. Yesterday I was really upset about it because I'm afraid of people thinking he is a bad dog after seeing him go for other dogs (not that he has done it that much).

any way, the OH and I had a big talk about it and decided that we would have it done in the hope that it may calm him down and make him less dominant. I know a lot of people here believe that castration wouldn't have any effect on his behaviour and that is okay, but in my personal experience I have found that our family dogs (all de sexed) have been a lot more chilled out than those that I have met intact, so it is just my opinion.

who knows, maybe it wont change the way he acts and that is okay, we will deal with his behaviour. I just think its worth the chance that it could. so he is booked in for this Friday (Christmas eve eve) what a horrible present for him Sad
I'll be looking after him all day to ensure he is okay after the op.

sorry that was a very long winded post!

Back to top Go down

decided to get the snip Empty Re: decided to get the snip

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 06:31

It's a decision only you and your family can make. Everybody has differing opinions for various reasons. I'm all for it personally.

Be brave Russell.....you'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 08:23

I don't know if he heard me on the phone to the vet but he has been moping about a bit today Sad poor boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 08:25

we just had billy done and he seems better for it

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 09:50

Aww he'll be fiiine Smile .. Vinnie is done and so was my old boy and vinnie just galavants up to dogs big or small and nver a issue with dominance Smile .. Skye is on the road to it she is almost there but shes been neutered come february as she had her 1st season Smile

I too am all for castration and neutering

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Dec 19 2011, 09:56

We got Rocky from a rescue centre and they "do" all dogs before they are rehomed. They dont want the same problem reaccuring, more dogs in rescue centre, I guess this policy makes sense.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 12:16

I had Tyson done for the same reasons and on advice from the vet. I did not know that there was so many opinions on this. On reflection I am not sure I would have done anything different. Dont worry about Russell he really does not know what you intend to do he is more likely picking up your vibes Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 13:03

As Lis said its a personal choice and only you can make the right one for what suits your life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 23:29

Ty wrote:I had Tyson done for the same reasons and on advice from the vet. I did not know that there was so many opinions on this. On reflection I am not sure I would have done anything different.

Do you think it made a difference to his behaviour?

Thank you every one for all the positive comments. it actually was a very hard decision to make! being educated makes things more difficult I think haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 03:47

we have the same going on with lemmy getting stroppy and acting up think its time for him to loose his bits too. the testosterone is running rife and i dont think he can handle it never mind me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 05:18

yeah its tough! but i think sometimes it can be just the best option!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 08:31

Before Ty was getting 'stropey' as we say here and was starting to mount other dogs and me if I was on the floor playing with him. We saw a lot of the lipstick then. There is none of that now.

At training there is an intact 2 and a half year old male called Zeus. He is a magnificent animal and his male handler works hard with him. They have been coming to training since Zeus was 4 months. The trainers tell me that Ty has accomplished in his year at training what took Zeus 2 years.

I cannot say that Ty is easier because of the snip but I do think I would be not be internally strong enough to handle the powerful Zeus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 12:35

I personally think having a male dog castrated can make a big difference to thier behaviour......or the way they listen to YOU more to the point. Testosterone racing through thier bodies can and will overcome most other things including your commands etc, i think the absance of this can mean a much more focused dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Beccaface Tue Dec 20 2011, 13:02

This is SO nice to hear, I've always said from day one I want Ollie done, and my fiancé has said otherwise, I'm going to show him this thread and hopefully change his mind, I don't want to breed Ollie or anything and to be honest, I'm sick to death of him trying to hump me or trying to get me to touch his bits, it's quite vile. It's the part of Ollie's personality I dislike. I'm defiantly getting him done, because when you all say about them listening to you more, Ollie seems to ignore me and think "Not listening to you". 100% getting him done now.

Thanks guys and thank you to the thread starter.
Beccaface
Beccaface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ollie | Phoebe (Cat).
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 15:25

He will be fine! I think it is a great xmas pressie for him! Blushing
Jethro was done at 6 months and Winston was just done last month at about 8 months..it is such a simple operation for a male. It has helped Winston immensely as he had far too much testosterone flowing through his little body. When I took him walking he wanted to widdle and * his leg on everything..I think he even widdled on Jethro at one stage!..now it is nice to walk him without him stopping every 5 seconds. Plus in my opinion they look nice and neat..Winston was starting to walk bow legged! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 07:03

lol, i didnt realised they stopped peeing on every thing too! Russell actually peed on a small puppy at the dog park the other week I dont want to s to make it worse the pup was leaned up against her owners leg, so got her too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:11

Good luck for tomorrow (Friday) Russell. We will be thinking about you, hugs from Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:12

PS... Seems to me male people seem to have real issues about this

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:14

All the best for tomorrow Meg. Big hug for you both >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:24

yes will be thinking of Russell and his initiation into manhood tomorrow! X

don't worry Meg..he will be fine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:26

i'm not going to get my sam done.

all this you have to get your dog done to stop unwanted litters or health issues is just plain garbage and i hate the camgpain. if dog get out and get stuck with another dog the owner as been an poor teacher and should be ashame of them self and the health issue bit is just like us if it their time it their time nothing we can do about it.

russel is very unlikey to change he may get fat..

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:33

..interesting.. my vet said the only reason desexed dogs get fat is cos they eat too much and don't get the exercise they need!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Dec 22 2011, 16:35

i take my xena out 2/3 times an day 45 plus everyday of her life and it hard keep the weight off her i dont feed her to much if anything i dont feed her enough

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 23:57

Steve wrote:i'm not going to get my sam done.

all this you have to get your dog done to stop unwanted litters or health issues is just plain garbage and i hate the camgpain. if dog get out and get stuck with another dog the owner as been an poor teacher and should be ashame of them self and the health issue bit is just like us if it their time it their time nothing we can do about it.

russel is very unlikey to change he may get fat..

I wasn't worried about him getting out and making babies, its the behaviour that I'm thinking about, testosterone etc. also I believe there are health concerns as the dog gets older, because I have seen it in friends staffys. I think he will change if not a lot, he may a little. and i don't think he will get fat because he is a very lean dog and I exercise him plenty and feed him correctly... he may, yes, but I will be prepared for that diet etc.

any ways, dropped him off this morning and he was very happy and excited to go with the nice lady into the back room :S obviously not knowing what's in store, I just hope he isn't too upset about me leaving him alone, I kinda wish you could just be there for it all, surely it doesn't take that long

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 22 2011, 23:59

Steve wrote:i take my xena out 2/3 times an day 45 plus everyday of her life and it hard keep the weight off her i dont feed her to much if anything i dont feed her enough

just thought I'd mention, there are plenty of intact dogs who also struggle to keep off the weight e.g. Caryll's Dempsey.
I think it really depends on the dog. I'm not saying it wont happen but I don't think its all due to the castration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 02:44

aww Russell sounds like Winston.he raced off out the back with the vet nurse..as happy as larry! If only he knew what awaited him! Laughing

I actually watched when Jethro was desexed and it doesn't take long at all for a male.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 02:57

I just picked him up, the first thing when I opened to vets doors, Russell howling and barking and crying and I said "is that my boy?" all the nurses nodded haha. they said all the staffys do it.
he is now asleep on the floor, when I came home he kept wondering around whining, poor baby, it must hurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 03:37

aww bless him! bet he looks like a little sleepy angel now...

yes when Winston and Jethro both had ops the same day the vet said there was alot of staffy singing going on out the back! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 09:19

i think you have done for all the wrong reasons Sad it not going change his behaviour if russell doesn't like dog he still wont like dog. like i said about health issue if it their time if their time getting him chop thinking he going be more health it wrong Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 11:40

but that is just your opinion though, I believe from personal experience (as do many vets) that it does alter behaviour, calm a dog down and decrease the testosterone.

I'm sorry you think its wrong, but at least I have a reason, some people just do it because they've been told to. every rescue that ever goes through is desexed, I just don't think it is as big a deal as some people make it out to be.
just my opinion though i guess. whats done is done!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 12:08

it not my opinion it is an fact an DA dog is not going change becasue of having an chop. if the vet is telling you this then hes just wanted your money.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 13:29

Just before we got Winston desexed he was being a real twit when he saw other dogs..barking and carrying on..even though he gets on okay with other dogs normally. Since being done it has settled him down and he is not as bothered now when he sees other dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Dec 23 2011, 13:32

my sister dog billie is DA before getting done and she still is DA

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Fri Dec 23 2011, 14:44

This is a good article, pros and cons etc.
http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/neuteringmaledogs
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
decided to get the snip Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 22:58

Russell isn't DA though, he gets on and loves all the other dogs at the dog park and of our friends, he even gets on with the two I first mentioned in this post, it's just sometimes he gets over playing - they want to keep playing and when they don't take a hint he goes for them (and they go him back). but I wouldn't call him DA.

thanks for the link stiofan. I will give it a read.
He has already been done though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 23 2011, 23:02

vanessa wrote:

Just before we got Winston desexed he was being a real twit when he saw other dogs..barking and carrying on..even though he gets on okay with other dogs normally. Since being done it has settled him down and he is not as bothered now when he sees other dogs.

there we go, perfect example of what I believe will come of this op Smile
and I have seen it in many of my past family and friends dogs as well - this is how I have come to the conclusion that it will help. and I don't think you can say that it is wrong of me to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Dec 23 2011, 23:18

Hope all goes well Smile Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 00:24

it did Smile he was drowsy and sookie last night but today he's running around and happy, I'm trying desperately to keep him calm and stop him from hurting himself lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 00:27

russdogmum wrote:it did Smile he was drowsy and sookie last night but today he's running around and happy, I'm trying desperately to keep him calm and stop him from hurting himself lol

That is always hard to do. Good luck and hope he makes a speedy recovery

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 00:37

russdogmum wrote:
vanessa wrote:

there we go, perfect example of what I believe will come of this op Smile
and I have seen it in many of my past family and friends dogs as well - this is how I have come to the conclusion that it will help. and I don't think you can say that it is wrong of me to do so.

I certainly wouldn't say you were wrong to have him castrated! All I'd say is that it doesn't always have the desired effect. Hopefully it will. Either way, I'm sure he'll be right as rain really soon.

Good luck with keeping him quiet! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 04:32

Thanks Caryll! He has been pretty good for most of today, happy to relax because the heat is getting into the 30s outside, inside its sleepy time

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Dec 24 2011, 06:09

How's he with the stitches? Any licking etc. I hate those cones!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 06:54

This topic is always a hot one here. Just out of interest, Endo the bully I am watching is intact and this is what I have noticed when studying both dogs behaviour:

Endo constantly cocks his leg....on everything from every tree outside to Tyson'd bed to the washing machine inside. I really dont like this.
Endo has been trying to mount Ty (and the bedding). Tyson cannot seem to keep his nose away from Endo's rear end and is now mimicking the mounting.

So far their interaction has not lead to even the slightest agression but after all is said and done I am glad I dont have to live with Endo too long.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Dec 24 2011, 11:29

Hope Russell is feeling better soon!

My sheepdog had a real herding instinct which was so bad when he was a pup he always tried his hardest to get out the garden/field to herd the cars going past. We lived on the road to a country park and so summertime was especially busy. At around 6 months of age, he got out down the drive and tried to jump a fence. He didn't make it though and ended up getting caught by his groin on the barbed wire. We spoke to a trainer after this and we were advised to castrate him to see if it would calm him. We were prepared to do this anyway as I had no intentions of breeding him and had heard of many health benefits working in the vets.

He did calm down after he was castrated, his herding instinct was there until he died. But he wasn't as adamant to chase and we got to the stage (with training) that we could walk on a road and get him to leave cars alone. He could never be let off near a road though.

I do think the castration helped calm him, that wasn't the only reason because training was the main big reason but he did calm in the months after castration.

So I do believe it can calm a dog, but agree with Caryll that it doesn't work for every male dog. Fingers crossed Russell is one of those who will calm. Hope he is ok today and not as sore!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 11:38

How is our Russell doing this morning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 24 2011, 13:40

He has been absolutely fine! he has internal sutures so no stitches to worry about, and he doesn't have to wear a cone either. I haven't seen him lick it at all - although I don't think I ever saw him clean down there before this, always been a dirty boy whom I have had to check/wipe before he jumped on the couch to snuggle with me sick

I really don't think he even knows what has happened or that anything has changed. he still keeps doing that staffy pose with the legs out laying on his belly and dragging himself along which worries me a bit that he might be stuffing things up, so I try to stop him when I can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Dec 24 2011, 15:12

russdogmum wrote:He has been absolutely fine! he has internal sutures so no stitches to worry about, and he doesn't have to wear a cone either. I haven't seen him lick it at all - although I don't think I ever saw him clean down there before this, always been a dirty boy whom I have had to check/wipe before he jumped on the couch to snuggle with me sick

I really don't think he even knows what has happened or that anything has changed. he still keeps doing that staffy pose with the legs out laying on his belly and dragging himself along which worries me a bit that he might be stuffing things up, so I try to stop him when I can.

Oh good! Frosty was fixed yesterday and comes to me after Christmas so I am hoping for the same thing! Thanks for sharing your experience! My wife is threatening to have Monte done because of his little dreaming thing! Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat Dec 24 2011, 16:03

cool, pleased to hear all went well Meg Smile

We took the very difficult decision to go ahead and I totally agree an informed decision is def. a more difficult one in mho!!

Milo was done on the 22nd and had a check up today, all well. I'll be taking the stitches out on day 10 and I can't wait as our usual exercise can resume Smile He's been sporting the same staffy pose as usual like Russel since the op. too and I've been stepping in like you lol!

I do agree with Steve re health not being a reason to castrate and the whole breeding thing wasn't an issue for us not because we wanted him to breed but firmly believed the opportunity was virtually nil in our circumstances. We really did it for the same reasons as you. We did it with the hopes it would give us a calmer dog who would be more manageable and one who would keep his friendly and so far totally friendly and outgoing character, yes there's no guarantee I know!

Before anyone goes on about training don't! Milo is well trained and socialised and has good manners, yes he's not perfect but he's really not far off but we're certainly working on it still (!!) which in my book is good enough Smile
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 25 2011, 12:12

good to hear Milo is going well too! Big Grin
I am a bit sad because we aren't allowed to take Russell out for a good run for 2 weeks, and we leave for Africa on new years eve so Russell will be staying with friends (who will exercise him when they have him) but I would love to give him a good long stint at the dog park before we leave, better not risk it though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sun Dec 25 2011, 21:10

Hey Gem Smile

nice trip but yes bummer on the walking front! Our vet has said to us to treat Milo as normal from day 10 which is when the stitches come out. I wonder if you could maybe therefore get a few days of walking in? Depends on the method of castration I'd assume. Milo has had a small incision not even an inch just above his scrotum with 3 external stiches. You should be having a post op. check up so you could ask your vet if a *gentle good run out before you go? x
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down