Intolerent to chicken protein ?

5 posters

Go down

Intolerent to chicken protein ? Empty Intolerent to chicken protein ?

Post by Double_G Sat Dec 10 2011, 20:34

Iv been having a bit of trouble with dave over the past couple of weeeks,the problem being him passing blood so away we whent to the vet and she said the there was a chance he's grow intolerent to something most likely the protein in his food,which made it click id been giving him the skin of my chicken every other day,so we put him on a 'bland' food and give him some antibiotics which sorted it,i then tried him with a little bit of his old food 'royal cannin' which confirmed it was the problem being as the protein in that is poultry,anyway i was woundering if anyone else has had this problem because a friend has a blue staff with exactly the same problem.

Oo forgot to mention iv put dave on barking heads food if any ones used it can you please let me know your thoughts on it as im going to buy a 12kg bag tomorow for over the xmas and dont want to waste £50 if theres a better allternative.

Cheers Garry.
Double_G
Double_G
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dave
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Intolerent to chicken protein ? Empty Re: Intolerent to chicken protein ?

Post by Guest Sat Dec 10 2011, 20:39

Suki has lots of allergies. We feed her a dry food made of deer and sweet potatos. Here is a link that may be usefull to you.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sat Dec 10 2011, 20:48

Thanks jstaff,the only other food that is avilable to me on that list is arden grange which iv tried him on before,do you think this is onpar,better or worse then barking heads because i dont really no what im looking for in the ingredients,i think a/grange is quite abit cheaper aswell.
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Dec 10 2011, 20:48

Ha ha, had loads of probs with Moo and it was RC that got us on the road to recovery.

Fish4Dogs is what Moo is on now, after a couple years of trying! I will only give Moo fish now Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat Dec 10 2011, 22:25

Oh allergies are no fun! I hope you find a new food that works for you. Beware that it can be allergy to other proteins than the meat (RC foods generally have corn protein + other grains that also are common allergens).
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 00:41

If it is chicken, then I sympathise, Dempsey is intolerant of all poultry!

Fish4dogs might be a good one to try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 02:40

Double_G wrote:Thanks jstaff,the only other food that is avilable to me on that list is arden grange which iv tried him on before,do you think this is onpar,better or worse then barking heads because i dont really no what im looking for in the ingredients,i think a/grange is quite abit cheaper aswell.

We took Suki to a dermatologist and she is allergic to just about all types of protein other than Kangaroo and Deer. Their allergies can also change as they grow older. We ended up trying her on several different foods and settled on Natural Benfits Sweet Potoato and Venison since she tolerates that the best. When we would change foods we did it slowly over a number of days and then monitor the symptoms to see if they were improving or getting worse. With some trial and error we got it sorted out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sun Dec 11 2011, 12:47

Caryll wrote:If it is chicken, then I sympathise, Dempsey is intolerant of all poultry!

Fish4dogs might be a good one to try.

Yea im more then certain its chicken protein as it seemed to trigger it with chicken skin and r/c's main protein is poultry.

I was actually looking for fish4dogs when i found the barking heads salmon,i like to make sure i get my food local incase i might run out for some reason,this has narrowed down my choice of foods.
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 13:02

We have to get our food by the internet as they don't have it locally. Takes a couple of weeks but it's worth it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 16:11

If the barking heads works, then fine. Whatever suits is the one to use! Otherwise, try getting your supplies online as they are often cheaper that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Tue Dec 13 2011, 05:19

Our previous dog Duke was also intolerant to poultry, and suffered some skin allergies as well, which the vet thought was part of the poultry intolerance. Unfortunately here in South Africa, the "best" dog food we can buy is Science plan and Eukanuba. The vet eventually suggested we put him the Eukanuba Dermatosis food, as this helped with the skin allergies, and also, consisted of fish and rabbit, and some veggies like beet thrown in. He became much better after that, he stopped scratching and his skin was healthy. Hope you come right
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by skewbald Sat Dec 17 2011, 09:06

Hi, ive read that ur dog waz having probs with chickhen. My murphy seemed 2 have the same syptoms of we went 2 vets they put it down 2 clotitis! we now feed him on home cooked meals such as brown pasta, browm rice, carrots, sweet potato, some greens and beef,tripe rabbit! not all in the 1 feed just mix it up from time2time although it might not wrk for all dogs but it has done wonders 4 murphy! No more blood in stools and i 4got 2 mention a bit of oily fish from time 2 time. PS it didnt stop him from being a brat! i hope your dog gets well soon! best of luck!
skewbald
skewbald

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MURPHY
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down