+2
stiofan
mrsxg
6 posters

Go down

Thumbsup Whats gotten into her!!

Post by mrsxg Wed Nov 23 2011, 13:18

Sorry for posting so much!

I have no idea whats gotten into Lola, she destroyed the living room rug and my glasses cleaner, she ate my new top yesterday! When I left for 30mins!
She should have finished her season by now, we've had her for 3 weeks!

The past 10days or so she isnt herself, very destructive, not listning to me inside or out. Very possive over things... outside, sticks and her frisbee. Just what on earth!
I've got a vet appt this afternoon to check her over after eating glasses cleaner and to have her anal glands checked as she's been scooting and nibbling on her feet lots!

Im at a loss here, she's on her final chance by my husbands reckoning.. help I dont wanna lose her!! xxxxxxxxxxx
mrsxg
mrsxg
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Thumbsup Re: Whats gotten into her!!

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 13:44

A season will last from 3 -4 weeks. It's possible she's still at the back end of it.

She's also entering the dreaded teenager stage - knows everything, listens to nothing & nobody understands her!

You need to go back to basics with her training, if she won't come when you call then put her on a long line & she won't have any choice.

With the destruction, does she have anything to keep her from getting bored while you're out? I'd sugest a large kong, stuffed with something yummy, or a stag bar.

The posessiveness can be helped: when you give her something, put her on alead first, then give her the toy/frisbee or whatever. Then tell her to leave it. If she doesn't, you may have to prise her jaws open & take it. But as soon as she lets go, plenty of praise. The lead is so she doesn't run off with it in her mouth!

Try some brain exercises such as "seek" with her as well. That'll help tire her brain as well as her body.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 13:45

P.S. Have you thought about getting a crate for when you go out?

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Wed Nov 23 2011, 14:24

I wouldn't leave my two alone without putting them in the crate, they would run riot!! My older dog was a total little * as a puppy but turned out to be little miss perfect after she learnt the rules etc of the house. There are several dog crates on gumtree around the Dundee area. A 48" one went on yesterday forĀ£40
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Whats gotten into her!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Wed Nov 23 2011, 15:39

Te problem with the extending lead is she eats EVERYTHING that smells half decent! From chewing gum, sick, chocolate, marshmallows and she ate a cigarette butt today!

What do you mean teenager stage?! She's only 1! lol

I dunno if I wanna get a crate, seems cruel :/

She wont stay long enough to play hide and seek lol.

She's getting her anal glands checked later, could she be playing up because she's in pain??

She was fab the first 2 weeks and she seems to be stepping backwards now!
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Wed Nov 23 2011, 15:49

I thought crates were cruel at first, but Violet likes hers and sometimes just goes in it to have a rest. It also keeps her safe if no ones at home with her, making sure she isn't eating wires, pulling things over on herself or getting her head stuck in places that a puppies head shouldn't be!

linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Wed Nov 23 2011, 17:57

Dogs have a honeymoon period usually whereby they are settling in,then come out of there shells.

if I were you I would treat her as a young puppy,put boundries and rules in place.Crate training I would also consider,not only does it stop her been destructive it will also keep her safe from injury should she take a liking to electrical wires.

Be consistant and firm but fair with her,teenage stage is usually where they will push boundries,ignore there owner and become unruly if given the chance.
Do more training with her,give her mental things to do,i.e use some of her daily food allowance in a treat ball,make her work for it.

I was told my a very good friend of mine,a ch show judge,don't ever give staffords an inch because they will take a mile.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Wed Nov 23 2011, 19:54

Would it not be better to crate train her than have to re home her ? mine just go to sleep . Maybe you can keep her in one room using a stair gate and not leave anything precious for her to nibble on Smile
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Whats gotten into her!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 23 2011, 20:37

Sounds like the honeymoon is over. Rocky has his crate which he goes in for quiet time. Had dogs before and never used a crate before, got one this time and honestly would not be without it. That's Rocky's place his safe haven if you like.

Back to basics set the boundaries.

What do you feed and how often? How much exercise per day? You may need to look at those things too.

Please don't give in yet that's for woosies

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Nov 23 2011, 22:28

I agree with everything Caryll said ... apart from prising her jaws open!! DO NOT DO THIS !

I still have the scar's from doing this whilst retreiving my sons dummy from our Bull Terrier when he was 10 months old, and insisted on running off with them as soon as he spat them out !!

No offense Caryll, just my opinion Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 22:43

Andy wrote:I agree with everything Caryll said ... apart from prising her jaws open!! DO NOT DO THIS !

I still have the scar's from doing this whilst retreiving my sons dummy from our Bull Terrier when he was 10 months old, and insisted on running off with them as soon as he spat them out !!

No offense Caryll, just my opinion Wink

Hahaha! No problem!

I suppose I'm so used to handling awkward & strong-jawed dogs that I tend to think it's easy! My bad!

Georg, the teenager stage in dogs starts any time from about 11 months till about 18-24 months. Some only last a month or two, some for longer. It's just a name for a rebellious know-everything stage, but with consistent training & back to basics, they all get through it & become lovely calm (ish) adult dogs!

Crates are fine as long as they're not used as punishment. I used one for Dempsey from day one. He would be put in his crate at night & whenever I had to leave him alone because otherwise he would have killed himself by eating things he shouldn't!

When he got to the stage where I though I could trust him I started to leave the door open at night. Then later on I left the door open when I went out as well. Now it's never shut & he treats the crate like his den. He has a big army blanket folded in the bottom for a bed, and two soft fleeces for comfort & extra warmth. Plus I've draped an old curtain over three sides to give him a sense of security & privacy.

The crate is his den, his own personal space, and the only people allowed to go in it are me, my oh and my two kids. Everyone else is aked to leave him well alone if he's in there (not that he'd do anything nasty, I just like him to feel that he can escape there if he needs some peace!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 23:52

Agree with Caryll. She is just being rebellious. Go back to basic training and make sure that everyone in the house is enforcing the rules. She is simply testing her boundaries and will stop if rules are enforced consistantly.

Crates are simply their den. It gives them a safe placce to go and feel comfortable. Should not be used as punishment though.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Fri Nov 25 2011, 13:19

Hi all, thank you for the advice!

Turns out she was needing her anal glands done and she's been fab since getting them done! At least I know what to look out for now Smile xxxxxxxxxxx
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 14:11

I've always rather the vet does that than me! sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:28

wow they must have been bad ..lucky vet !! sick

I had never used a crate but my older staffy Jethro went berserk in the back of our ute and chewed, ripped ,destroyed everything he could get his teeth into... I got a crate and he is locked in that everytime he is in the ute. When we got Winston as a 6 week old pup, we got another crate and Winston has been sleeping in it since then... it is covered over and he even goes in there on his own. If we have to go out at night he is locked in his crate so I know he is safe and not getting up to any mischief. We put the radio on and he just lies down..and off we go.. with peace of mind!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down