he won't listen to us outside

2 posters

Go down

Sad he won't listen to us outside

Post by Rocko2011 Fri Nov 18 2011, 01:21

whenever me or my partner let rocko out the garden to play off the lead he won't listen to neither of us or come to us when we call his name to come in he seems to think we'r playing games with him by running around for us to chase him no matter how many times we say come in or come he won't come we have even tried using a firm tone which he listens to when we are in the house but not outdoors even on the lead he doesn't listen to us he pulls and tries to run on the road we have took treats out to train him to sit outside before crossing roads but that hasn't done the trick i'm scared he'll over power me one day and run on the road and have an accident I would hate anything to happen to him as he's my baby and i love him to bits Love Struck .
also i would like him to listen to me more aswell i try using a firm voice but he won't listen to me as much as he listens to my partner.
i know I haven't got the deep male voice lol
thanks alot for any advice.
Rocko2011
Rocko2011
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rocko
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: he won't listen to us outside

Post by Skullkandi Fri Nov 18 2011, 03:04

It seems you are not the Alpha dog here. Now strangely, I'm actually stumped, because I just got Junior and Kellev listening me automatically, and I can't remember how. It came automatically to me.
I take it little Rocky is 5 months?
Try putting a lead rein on him, a horses lead rein and when you let him out in the garden, call him and then put a foot firmly down on the lead rope and then slowly reeling him in.

On the lead when outside, try the changing directions quickly with a cheerful but not babying voice. He's a puppy and there are alot of things out there that are more interesting than the thing on the end of his lead. Make yourself seem interesting, change direction often, go somewhere different.

As a rule, I despise and hate flexileads, so I would suggest a long line, so you can let the line go, but still have control.
A long line is my answer for all :3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
he won't listen to us outside Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18 2011, 05:45

I agrre with the long leash as well. Train him on that and you can easily regain control and reward him when he listens.

If he is pulling turn around and walk the opposite direction every time. He will get the idea. When using treats hold them in your fist and have him follow you for a time until you give him one. This should have him looking up at you for direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18 2011, 08:56

Nothing to do with being 'alpha' I'm afraid. He just doesn't understand what you want him to do.

As said already, try using a long line (you can get them quite cheaply from ebay) and let it trail. Before he gets too far away, call him & if he doesn't respond immediately pick up the line & gently guide him back to you with loads of silly praise & maybe treats or squeeky toys. The lines are about 40' long, so you can let him get quite a distance & still be able to get control.

You say you're worried that he'll overpower you - what do you mean by that? Is it because he pulls on the lead?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko2011 Fri Nov 18 2011, 21:59

yeah he pulls on the lead well i'm going to buy a training horse lead off ebay this week.
i know he's only a puppy and is all about play play play lol but want him to listen to both us indoors and outdoors.
thankyou for all your advice thumbs up
Rocko2011
Rocko2011

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rocko
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Fri Nov 18 2011, 22:05

No fear. I walk Junior on a lead rope most of the time now, cause hes offlead when i do walk him, i just sling it round my neck
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18 2011, 22:16

Rocko2011 wrote:yeah he pulls on the lead well i'm going to buy a training horse lead off ebay this week.
i know he's only a puppy and is all about play play play lol but want him to listen to both us indoors and outdoors.
thankyou for all your advice thumbs up

When he starts to pull, turn around & walk the other way, don't say a word until the lead goes tight & then say "Heel" or "Close" or whatever word you want to use and give the lead a slight tug. Every time he pulls do the same thing. Eventually he'll get fed up not knowing which way you're going, and will start to watch you and hang back a bit. You'll feel an * with people watching you & it'll take ages to get anywhere to start with, but it does work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Nov 23 2011, 19:13

How's it going?
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down