my dog wont listen to the come commandc

4 posters

Go down

my dog wont listen to the come commandc Empty my dog wont listen to the come commandc

Post by kirstyleigh Fri Aug 28 2015, 19:10

Can anyone give me any tips on how i can get my dog to come she when i call her in from the garden when im walking her of the lead she comes pretty much straight away the second i let her out in the garden and i call her to come in she just runs round and i end up having to catch her because she had a op on her leg bout 4 months ago and my garden isnt really suitable as such for her to run around because there is alot steps ive tired calling her to a whisle and treat which works but i dont really want her to think she is going to get a treat every time
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

my dog wont listen to the come commandc Empty Re: my dog wont listen to the come commandc

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 28 2015, 20:34

Try a long line it does take practice you could try making a big fuss of her when she does come back. If she has a favourite toy ir ball id use that instead how old is she ? Shes gorgeous

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

my dog wont listen to the come commandc B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

my dog wont listen to the come commandc Empty Re: my dog wont listen to the come commandc

Post by kirstyleigh Fri Aug 28 2015, 20:40

She 18mnths she has only just started doing it tbh before it would take me 2 /3 calls but then she would come in thank you for you reply will give the long lead a try
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 28 2015, 20:43

Sounds as tho shes going through the teenage phase i would say shes testing the boundaries just be consistent and if necessary take her training back to basics Smile they do like to test us at times Smile

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Aug 28 2015, 20:45

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Aug 28 2015, 20:49

Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the treat. Keep going with that but every now and then trade the treat for loads of fuss but what you want at the moment is for her to expect one each time. As she gets older you can reduce the treats.

Crystal is right about the teenage phase, they can suddenly turn on the "I can't hear you" thing so a long line could be of use for the time being.

my dog wont listen to the come commandc B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:55

-Ian- wrote:Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the treat. Keep going with that but every now and then trade the treat for loads of fuss but what you want at the moment is for her to expect one each time. As she gets older you can reduce the treats.

Crystal is right about the teenage phase, they can suddenly turn on the "I can't hear you" thing so a long line could be of use for the time being.

I concur
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29 2015, 07:44

It sounds like she needs a good blast, they do at that age, and it's always going to be hard to break her in the middle of that.

What's the problem with the steps? I'd be inclined to let her have a good run before trying to call her in.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Sat Aug 29 2015, 10:10

She had a luxating patella they operated on it a few months back and she still a little uneasy on her leg the vet said jumping up steps and jumping and running round would prolong the healing process its difficult because i cant give her a good run like she used to have which is why i think she isnt listening to me
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29 2015, 16:48

Oh I see. Sorry, I misread your original post that you'd had the op! All is now much clearer.

To be honest, I think you'd be better having her on a long training line, not the flexi ones but just a 12ft or longer webbing line. She's going to find it really hard not to want to run and it must be so worrying fearing that she'll damage herself again.

What's the long term prognosis?

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Sat Aug 29 2015, 17:17

Tbh its frustrating just because she has no common sence on what might hurt her and before the op i would give her a good run and she would relax for hours and she would listen and now all she want to do is just burn of her energy she is getting walks but because the field where i let her run is a about 20 mins away by the time ive walked her there and back she going lame on her leg so i dont want her to over do it but thanks for the advice will look on ebay for a lead now Smile
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down