A little concerned about my pups eating and weight...

+3
linzy
iluvmypups
Jaymo
7 posters

Go down

A little concerned about my pups eating and weight... Empty A little concerned about my pups eating and weight...

Post by Jaymo Fri Sep 16 2011, 19:39

Hi all,

I have an 8 week old pup (Daisy) and am a little concerned about how much she is (or rather isn't) eating. We're feeding her on James Wellbeloved puppy food and she's only eating approx 100 - 150g a day. We have a cat too and she keeps sneaking to the cats bowl to try and eat her food (dry), which she seems to enjoy more than her own!

She seems happy enough and is full of energy etc, but I'm just wondering if this is something to be concerned about?

Also, comparing her picture to other puppy pics on here, she looks a little slim and doesn't have that "chunky" look that she used to have when we first got her. Is this normal? I know puppies grow at different rates etc, but I'm just a bit concerned worried ....I'm guessing that this is probably down to her not eating enough.

Cheers

Jaymo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

A little concerned about my pups eating and weight... Empty Re: A little concerned about my pups eating and weight...

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16 2011, 19:42

billy was like that when we first got him, he was so fussy so we changed him to raw and now he eats most meals, as long as you cannot see daisys ribs then i am sure everything is ok. dogs seemed to eat when they want to, sometimes they can eat for england and sometimes they dont eat much.

Smile

Back to top Go down

A little concerned about my pups eating and weight... Empty Re: A little concerned about my pups eating and weight...

Post by Jaymo Fri Sep 16 2011, 19:47

Thanks Lynne Smile

Jaymo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by iluvmypups Fri Sep 16 2011, 19:56

my pup was the same when we got her shes just over 8 weeks now and eating healthily i tried 3 types of food including the one your using and iams puppy she wouldnt touch it..(she was on meat when we picked her up) we have now found one she loves and eats without any coaxing and all in one go if she gets the chance, its bakers complete puppy food worth a try if your concerned hope she finds her appetite soon Smile
iluvmypups
iluvmypups
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : daija and roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female,female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Fri Sep 16 2011, 20:02

I was really worried about our pup when we first got her that she was too skinny and not eating enough. Now, 10 weeks later, she eats like a piglet and is too heavy for me to pick her up Smile
linzy
linzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Fri Sep 16 2011, 20:08

Our Dora is the same. Quite slim really, not a chunky pup, she is nearly 8 weeks.
She isn't eating a huge amount either, nowhere near as much as the can recommends, but she seems lively enough.
I'm quite relieved that your Daisy is similar because I worry Dora is too slim.
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
A little concerned about my pups eating and weight... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Fri Sep 16 2011, 20:14

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!

iluvmypups, we'll definitely try the Bakers Complete. It looks very similar to the Whiskas complete that she's been robbing off the cat!

Jaymo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by iluvmypups Fri Sep 16 2011, 20:29

[quote="Jaymo"]Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!

iluvmypups, we'll definitely try the Bakers Complete. It looks very similar to the Whiskas complete that she's been robbing off the cat!
[/quote/]

haha she may be having an identity crisis! my roxi even meows like a cat when she yawns rolling on the floor good luck hope the bakers complete works for you Smile
iluvmypups
iluvmypups

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : daija and roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female,female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17 2011, 01:09

Jaymo wrote:Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!

Please don't buy Bakers. It's full of additive - colours/flavours/scents - that can cause hyperactivity & hypersensitivity. The colours etc are there for the humans, not the dogs. Dogs don't care what shape food looks like or what colour it is.

Try tempting her with a little tinned fish (sardines with oil or tomato sauce) mixed with her food, most dogs can't resist it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17 2011, 01:13

She'll find her appetite soon enough. They all grow at different rates as you said and most handlers worry that they don't seem to be eating or growing enough so you're not alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Sat Sep 17 2011, 11:12

Just googled Bakers Complete and have read several forums where members don't recommend it either due to hyperactivity etc. Thanks for the heads up Smile

Will try her on the JWB wet food.

Jaymo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Sep 17 2011, 11:27

Yes you need to try her on a good quality food, tinned meat is mainly water and poor quality.
When my 2 were babies I gave then egg and cheese for breakfast not too much but its good protein my boy had it till he was about 18 months old and cried every morning till he got it.
Ive always mixed a little fresh meat/fish with the kibble really just to encourage them to eat it .
But you cant change the dogs conformation its genetic make up will determin how and what shape it will be when developed so when you look at other pups and feel yours is smaller then thats just the way it is and they are different simple as that Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlene_Frank Sat Sep 17 2011, 12:00

When i first got Frank he wouldnt eat much either, and to be fair still the food we put down to him in the morning is still there at dinner time, we tried him on a few different foods before the James WellBeloved which Frank seems to love! but we have all 4 flavours so its not the same one all the time, and like others have said in his "tea" he gets grilled chicken, liver, sardines, ive even let him try salmon lol he eats what he likes!

My problem was Frank was still a right little chunk considering i didnt think he was eating that much, but i went to the vet with him and she said he is prefect! nothing to worry about! Big Grin

xx
Charlene_Frank
Charlene_Frank

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Frank and Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Months and 21 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Sat Sep 17 2011, 16:00

Success!

We bought her some JWB wet food pouches, mixed in some of the JWB kibble and she ate the lot.

So good to see her eating a proper meal Smile

Jaymo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevali Sat Sep 17 2011, 16:35

Wainwrights dry puppy food.
Bag of frozen mince nature choice and chicken and veg nuggets.
Stevali
Stevali
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Archie
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down