Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help??

5 posters

Go down

Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Empty Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help??

Post by twilkes Tue Dec 13 2011, 03:46

Hi everybody! This is my first post but i have been reading around here alot. I have a year and a half old staffy i got from a rescue shelter and she has been doing fine. Recently we moved into a new house/had a baby (human lol)/ rescued a puppy from the street. My staffy, Bentley, has been doing great up until now and its about 6 months since all these new events have taken place. She is no longer eating as much and always leaves food untouched in her bowl. I didnt think much of it until i noticed her ribs poking out the other day. Is it possibly stress the reason why she wont eat? Iv moved her inside the last few days so maybe she would become less stressed/depressed and eat before i can take her to the vet. I also bought her a more expensive better tasting food to see if she would eat more and she has slightly. Does anyone have any tips to help her put on more weight? Thanks in advance!

twilkes
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Empty Re: Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help??

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 04:20

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. She could be eating less from stress and a dog won't let itself starve. With that being said and given this has been going on for 6 months I would advise a trip to the vet.

Back to top Go down

Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Empty Re: Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help??

Post by Ben Tue Dec 13 2011, 04:45

I agree. Probably time for a trip to the vet. Something else might be wrong.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 13 2011, 09:19

Hi & Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Staffy not eating/losing alot of weight, help?? Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 09:42

Hi and welcome from me Millie and Bella Smile

Millie went through a phase of not being interested in food/picking at her food when I first brought Bella home but it only lasted around a week. I would take a trip to the vet just to make sure it wasnt anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 10:27

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Going off food/weight loss can be caused by an awful lot of things from stress to boredom, with loads of things in between! I take it she isn't being sick & doesn't have the runs? Is she drinking water ok?

I'd get her checked by a vet. It may be absolutely nothing, but at least it'll put your mind at rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by flipearl13 Tue Dec 13 2011, 16:02

try taking her on longer walks, she should gain appetite and be thirsty after
flipearl13
flipearl13
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noa
Dog Gender(s) : F

Back to top Go down

Post by twilkes Tue Dec 13 2011, 22:28

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. This behavior has not been going on for 6 months , more like a week. But I can see her ribs sticking out and she has definitely lost alot of weight plus she won't eat. She is not throwing up or being sick though. i have an appt with her vet on friday but does anyone have any tips to get her to eat until then

twilkes

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 13 2011, 22:52

TBH I'm not suprised. Its a huge change for her! And 6 months isn't much time for a new baby and a new pup.

Was she outside before as you mention bringing her in?? What food is she on?

New baby and a new pup, is there any dominance issues?

Its a big ask for any dog to adapt. Time is key.

Feed them seperatly, are there any other issues?

Sorry for the questions but these are huge steps for a young dog to deal with Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 22:54

I take it you haven't changed her food?

You could try giving her some scarmbled egg and/or mashed potatoe & see if that tempts her.

Back to top Go down

Post by twilkes Tue Dec 13 2011, 23:48

Well we lived in an apt which she lied inside with us but we moved into a house recently where she lives inside. We did switch her food 2 weeks ago from puppy to adult pedigree. And there are no dominance issues we have run into :/

twilkes

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 13 2011, 23:58

Give it time Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dan2011 Wed Dec 14 2011, 01:02

cook her scrambled eggs she will gulp it down but make sure you dont give it to her hot , luke warm is best so it still smells nice but wont burn her.
dan2011
dan2011

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 11:33

twilkes wrote:Well we lived in an apt which she lied inside with us but we moved into a house recently where she lives inside. We did switch her food 2 weeks ago from puppy to adult pedigree. And there are no dominance issues we have run into :/

Could it be that she doesn't like the new food? You could try mixing a little wet food in with the dry - maybe a tray of the same make you're feeding now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down