Should I get a trainer in??

4 posters

Go down

Should I get a trainer in?? Empty Should I get a trainer in??

Post by msjaffacake Fri Aug 26 2011, 19:28

Hi
Ozzy is 8 months next week. Need some advice whether I should get a trainer in because:
He pulls so bad on a lead
He jumps up at people and when told to get down doesnt listen
He seems to be barking alot more for attention
He whines when we leave a room if the door is closed.
When we say "NO" he barks at you as if to say "dont tell me what to do!"
He bites for no reason, he gets really excited and grabs your arm and doesnt let go! I dont think its aggressive behaviour but when he grabs hold, and lets go he jumps again and keeps biting me. Nothing will stop him except a water bottle. I am full of bruises.
He is in a crate at night and likes it never really had a problem, but recently moved it into the lounge from kitchen as its big. He cant seem to settle for some reason, if I get up in the night to go to the loo he cries for me and he never used to.
My bf says it might be because I have "mothered" him too much with affection, I just give him lots of cuddles and he lies on me on the couch.
Is this puppy behaviour that he'll grow out of, or do I need a trainer to help while he's young? Is it his hormones? I cant enjoy him when hes biting me especially. I have tried really hard from day one to make sure we are the bosses and leader of the pack, what am I doing wrong? Sad
msjaffacake
msjaffacake
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Should I get a trainer in?? Empty Re: Should I get a trainer in??

Post by janey Fri Aug 26 2011, 20:12

I don't mean this to sound rude, but has he had any basic training at all? and if so what?

You need to get on top of this asap, and if you haven't the time and can't do it then yes, a trainer may be a good idea, they can teach you how to do it.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26 2011, 20:26

you can do it yourself but you have to be so dicipline sp which is very hard

i would recommend a trainer and they will give you excersies to do on your own
he is still a puppy so trrining him should not be a problem, just make sure that you choose correctly

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Aug 26 2011, 23:05

You can train yourself typical stafford nothing else Smile
Staffords love to pull its what they are built for they have a lot of power and like to use it try be firm and consistant some say use a halti? If you use a harness try a collar when pulling stop turn around confuse the dog use treats but you can improve Smile
If he jumps up at people push him down tell him no and do the same in the house until he stops he will listen when he realises your not happy when he does it turn away and ignore him when youve stopped him from jumping up all the other things will be easy to control:)
They like to be with you at all times in my house if I get up and go out the room up they get and follow its kind of nice really closing them out is not what they want Smile
Changing position of the crate is not good they really love routine it will take a little time for him to settle in new areas try not to give attention when he wants it
He is showing you the only way he knows by barking its play time and they play rough mouthing is so typical to the breed try offering alternatives rope toys try to distract him ,Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27 2011, 00:51

Your boy is having normal behaviour issues so don't worry. If he is your first dog and you are not used to training, or your methods don't seem to be working, I would advise getting a trainer. As pups evertything they do is a learning experience for them and they learn quickly and can be a bit stubborn at times. You and everyone else in the house all have to be consistent.

If he is whinning and you go t ocomfort him he will learn that if he wants to get comfrt all he has to do is whine. This can be difficult to ignore but it is important to do so.

If he pulls while you are on a walk give a slight tug on the leash and turn in the opposite direction. Make him sit and wait patiently before continuing the walk. This can be hard but eventually he will get the idea.

They hate to be ignored so if he is being aggressive or jumping turn around and ignore him. If he persists either walk away or move him into a seperate room until he calms down. If he is meeting someone from outside the house try to have him sit and wait calmly to meet the person.

All of this may sound hard but they are fast learners and really do want to make you happy. Also there is absolutley nothing wrong with going to a trainer to learn other techniques for you to use. Good luck Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by msjaffacake Sat Aug 27 2011, 07:58

Thanks very much for your replies. I will take all comments on board. Very good advice. This is MY first dog but I have grown up with dogs. This is my first staffy though.
Hes so adorable when hes good but when hes bad hes a proper tinker!! Its made me feel alot better you saying its normal. I thought I had a really bad dog Sad
When we went to buy him he was the one that picked us, he came over to us and was licking my face so I thought "Hes the one!"
We use a harness on him, to start with it was a normal collar and lead but he was choking himself sick. Some people have suggested a choke lead. Some say its cruel? What do you think?
I get him to sit on the edge of the road for safety and he does that for the most part he is very good. But if he sees a leaf or another dog on the other side he will bolt for it and its a good job i have him on a lead coz he would run into the road.
When I get up in the night he does cry because he hears me (he should sleeping lol) and I ignore him and go back to bed, feeling bad I must say. But when I get up in the morning I hear him whining but I am just going into the room because i am done, I hope he isnt thinking whining gets me in the room?
Yes he knows basic training for the top poster,
He is toilet trained
Friendly with other dogs and people, its just the jumping
He knows sit
Down
Drop
"In your crate"
Shake paw
High 5!
Half and half on the stay but getting there
He sits and waits for his food
He is very clever, i never thought Id have a dog that would actually drop! lol.
I went into him just this morning and normally hes all jumpy and bouncy and excited to see me! But I opened the crate, didnt say anything, didnt stroke him which I normally do. I just opened it and ignored him until he sat nice and quiet then I said "Good boy!" I fed him he did his business then he was waiting for me in the lounge and was sitting I went over and rubbed his chest which he loves and his tail was wagging (still sitting) and he was all calm then too and didnt jump at me, and i was praising him for that Big Grin
He loves running around and jumping he can get so high!! Were thinking of taking him to a puppy agility class where he can run through tunnels and stuff! I think it will do him good and meet other doggies. I wish he had a doggy friend he could play with off lead. We never let him off lead. we have a beach nearby and would love, one day to be able to let him run around it, but people are soo wary esp with staffys when their off lead and tbh I have never seen a staffy off a lead.
Sorry for the long reply! Thankyou so much xx
msjaffacake
msjaffacake

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Sat Aug 27 2011, 09:03

Not sure if this will help but when Clover gets to bouncy and starts jumping up I get her to lay down. Pretty hard to jump up when shes flat on the floor lol
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Should I get a trainer in?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down