To have a trainer.......................or not?!

3 posters

Go down

To have a trainer.......................or not?! Empty To have a trainer.......................or not?!

Post by laineybell Fri Jul 29 2011, 10:53

hiya all
Jemma is really good off the lead (when there are no distractions around.)
i bought her a flexi lead, with a length of 16ft i believe, which she is on most of the time now, as it stops her tryin to yank my arm out of its socket!!
me n the OH do let her off to have a run about in the field, but she will not listen to either of us if there are any distractions, i,e dogs, pigeons, rabbits, nice smelling grass etc.
i have been emailing a dog trainer about a 1 2 1 session to wrk on her recall. the fee is £25 an hour, then £5 every 30mins after 1 1/4 hours.
she sed
' Lack of recall is a complicated behaviour and can be caused by a number of seemingly unrelated issues, such as lack of leadership, lack of respect, learnt behaviour and so on, therefore, recall is a behaviour that is covered on its own'

advice???

We have tried everything ppl have told us on here, and tried youtube, but she jus sees the dog, and theres no breaking her concentration at all.
laineybell
laineybell
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jemma
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

To have a trainer.......................or not?! Empty Re: To have a trainer.......................or not?!

Post by laineybell Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:12

ive decided to give it a go, have got the lady coming at 2pm.
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

To have a trainer.......................or not?! Empty Re: To have a trainer.......................or not?!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:34

I've got the same problem with Suki as well but have never really considered a dog trainer. Let us know how it goes for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:42

good luck for today and let us all know how it goes

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 29 2011, 11:46

Good luck, luckily I haven't ever had the need to but do let us know how it goes Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 13:45

Good luck, I've never bothered with a trainer with harv we have just persevered and we are getting there and he's been brilliant recently after a lot of training.

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Fri Jul 29 2011, 13:46

10 mins nail biting
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29 2011, 13:50

dance interseted to see how it goes. Best of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Sun Jul 31 2011, 02:00

I think yes some people know alot about training dogs, And know what there doing, But sometimes you cant beat professional help, Good sure It be well worth the money! Keep Us updated!
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 08:01

How did it go
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 08:50

yes I am interested to know too..
Winston is easily distracted when we are out and about but so far he has come back each time... could be a fluke !! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jul 31 2011, 12:38

coffee in your own time Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 13:52

...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

everybody sing now.. "why are we waiting..?? ..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01 2011, 10:05

Curiousity is a pain in the back side when it comes to recall, i'v always left the dog on the leash until they become neuteral about all these petty little things, so when it comes to being off the leash they just think oh well ill go back to the one who's calling me i'v seen it all before kinda thing, I'm working on that with Cassie at the moment, she is very terrier like and must get into everything and make a fuss of everyone, it helps if you stick to roughly the same walk and same times that way its all the norm, It seems to be working with Cassie anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Tue Aug 02 2011, 10:56

hey, sorry, net went down over the weekend lol.
she seemed gd, but all she told me to do was train her to the whistle.
jemma did respond to this, but i have decided to leave her as she is until the puppy classes r finished other wise she will get confused.
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 11:53

janey wrote: coffee in your own time Laughing

vanessa wrote:

...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

everybody sing now.. "why are we waiting..?? ..."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

laineybell wrote:hey, sorry, net went down over the weekend lol.
she seemed gd, but all she told me to do was train her to the whistle.
jemma did respond to this, but i have decided to leave her as she is until the puppy classes r finished other wise she will get confused.

Was that it? Surprised

Did she tell you how to do it, or just "do it"!

I'd agree with you, though. Stick to the puppy classes till they've finished, you don't want to confuse her.

Back to top Go down

Post by laineybell Tue Aug 02 2011, 16:06

she spent 15mins in the house training her to come to the whistle, took her outside to the lake and spent some time whistle training her there.

it worked, but to b honest, it was nuffin i cudnt have found out from the net. x
laineybell
laineybell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 04 2011, 02:51

I always found dog trainers, Are only good to hire, When you have a specific problem, Or a area of training you really need help on, Or your to busy and got to much money and dont have time to train the dog yourself, Or old lady etc etc, But overall most of the dog training you can do yourself, You got good price with your dog trainer, I go to puppy training classes, The dog trainer, Chargers £60 a hour plus traveling expenses for one to one at your house, Which yes hes a professional with qualifications experience, But bludy rip off If you ask me, But yes price you been given Is very good, We wouldnt get that In my area where I live, I area classed as a rich area so they say lol Because all people from london living here and going to work on the train, Anyway enough of me lol Good luck keep us Informed! Smile
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down