2 males

3 posters

Go down

2 males  Empty 2 males

Post by mooch Sun Jul 24 2011, 07:02

has anyone here got 2 male staffys? how do they go together do you have any issues? i would like to add another staffy next year, would like 1 from the same kennel as my current boy but still need to talk to the breeder
mooch
mooch
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blitz
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

2 males  Empty Re: 2 males

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 09:07

I have a 12 year old desexed male Jethro... we recently got a male pup ( who will be desexed too ) Winston. He is now 17 weeks old. There is a hell of an age gap between my 2 , so I always supervise when they play... as Winston plays rough! And I never ever leave them alone together if I go out.. one is inside.. one outside.... just incase. Heard alot of horror stories! But they get on good... depends alot too on the nature of your dogs too I would imagine. Luckily my old Jethro is a peace lover ! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 09:56

A few people on here have two males that get on well together but like vanessa they seperate them if left alone just incase.

Back to top Go down

Post by buster2011 Sun Jul 24 2011, 10:34

my sister had 2 desexed males together for 4 years and they were fine
some times tryed to hump each other but that was it
buster2011
buster2011
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
2 males  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:38

Unless there is a big age gap I think it's best to have opposite sexes in the house. Two males can work but probally shouldn't be left alone unsupeervised.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 11:55

my family friends have a 12 year old male as well as a 5 month old pup (interesting Vanessa as there names are winston and Jet - very close to your two!)

they are together always, sleep inside together at night and are in a pen together while they are out, they are fine together, winston puts jet in his place if he has to but he's a push over. Jet is still a pup though so I can't give advice on two adult males

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 14:04

russdogmum wrote:my family friends have a 12 year old male as well as a 5 month old pup (interesting Vanessa as there names are winston and Jet - very close to your two!)

they are together always, sleep inside together at night and are in a pen together while they are out, they are fine together, winston puts jet in his place if he has to but he's a push over. Jet is still a pup though so I can't give advice on two adult males

wow that is amazing ...their ages and their names !! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24 2011, 15:18

It's definitely safer to have opposite sexes. If you neuter them both and separate them whenever there is no one watching them it may work out fine, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Jul 25 2011, 11:59

They will always be fine when the new dog is a pup, it is unlikely you will have issues whilst one of the dogs is still young and submissive. It is more likely that when the younger one reaches sexual maturity and realises that his 'older brother' is actually quite old and that he is much stronger you will get problems. Not with all dogs, there are exceptions, and if you nip it in the bud you can usaully combat it. Its just that these type of dominance issues will not appear with dogs of opposite sexes.

It is do-able to have two males or two bitches, everything just needs to be carefully controlled.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com