Can you have two males together?

3 posters

Go down

Can you have two males together? Empty Can you have two males together?

Post by Dupydoo Mon Jan 30 2017, 09:58

Hello i'm hoping i can get some other peoples knowledge! I have had a male and female living together for the last 7 years up until Dec when our female passed away.
My male is 9 years old and i am picking a puppy soon but it will be a boy, i have heard that this is unlikely to work well once the puppy becomes older.
Any advice and other peoples experiences greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance Smile
Dupydoo
Dupydoo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Doopy and Pepi
Dog(s) Ages : 9 years and 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Can you have two males together? Empty Re: Can you have two males together?

Post by -Ian- Mon Jan 30 2017, 11:40

Hi & Can you have two males together? Welcome

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have a number of seasonal just for fun Staffy picture competitions throughout the year. If you have a great picture don't be shy, post it. You might just win! Even if you don't enter do take the time to vote for your favourite and support those that enter Here

This Forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Can you have two males together? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Can you have two males together? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Can you have two males together? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Can you have two males together? Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Can you have two males together? Icon_arrow See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Jan 30 2017, 11:46

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

I can't talk from direct experience, however, I can draw on what people have posted on the forum over the years. There is certainly a school of thought that same sex in the same house doesn't work out well but there have been many over the years that have posted here with no trouble at all.

I would imagine it all depends on how they are raised and what rules are laid down from the outset, for example, if you see that the pup is bothering your older lad then remove the pup to let things settle down and not escalate. I'm also sure your older lad will set boundaries and teach the pup what's acceptable but you'll need to be on hand to monitor.

Personally, I don't think there is any reason why it shouldn't work provided the introductions are done on neutral ground to begin with and your older lad doesn't feel cast aside but fully included.
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:07

Hi and welcome from us too Smile

I agree with Ian, it can work but there are also times when there are issues. As well as being careful with introductions, I would say it depends an awful lot on individual personality. It sounds like you've already picked your pup but, if there is still scope for choice, I would suggest making sure you get a quieter one. I very much believe that the puppy turns into the dog, the character of the puppy is an indicator of the dog he will turn into. If your puppy is pushy and demanding, you're more likely to get a dog who is pushy and demanding too. To help a peaceful multi-dog life, it's much better to try and avoid two assertive personalities as then you have a recipe for neither backing down.

I would also suggest that you might want to consider neutering the youngster fairly early on. I know that many believe that later neutering is better but I personally would want to have the minimum hormones raging around when your pup hits 18 months/2 years, by which time your current lad will be 11 and may well be less tolerant as he ages (a bit like me!).

While I agree with what Ian says about not letting your pup pester your older lad too much, I would also say that it's important to let him learn where the limits are and for your older dog to be the one to say 'enough'. A human can take a puppy away repeatedly and it won't have the same effect as another dog giving a quick snap.

I bet your boy will enjoy the company, though. He must be missing his friend of 7 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dupydoo Wed Feb 22 2017, 10:07

Hello, thank you for your replies. I have not been on here for a little while as we have had chicken pox out break in our home! We went and had a look at a litter of puppies and have picked one and payed a deposit. Will be collecting him in about 5 weeks. Now doing lots of research as although we are experienced dog owners this will be our first puppy. Wish us luck lol
Dupydoo
Dupydoo

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Doopy and Pepi
Dog(s) Ages : 9 years and 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by I❤dogs Mon Feb 27 2017, 18:36

I'm also getting a male puppy fairly soon, in around 6 weeks and have a male dog at home. My jack Russell Saxon is 6 next month
I❤dogs
I❤dogs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saxon and Rebel
Dog(s) Ages : 21/03/11 and 13/02/17
Dog Gender(s) : Boys
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down