genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos)

2 posters

Go down

genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos) Empty genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos)

Post by adav6638@gmail.com Thu Dec 22 2022, 08:58

Hi Just a question I would like an answer to based off peoples experiences and what they have seen themselves firsthand.
What if I cross a female black/brindle with a male Blue staffy (All certified pure breed English staffy with completely different lines).
A depiction with photos of the family tree is here:
https://imgur.com/a/A4r0g3g

Number 1 is my female English staffy (black/brindle) that is just over one year old and has already been in heat/oestrus at least once (by her behaviour and dripping blood, etc). Number 2 is her mum which is a red/brown/fawn colour English staffy, bred to Number 3- a dark/black English staffy that actually looks like a blue staffy too but isn't
My neighbour just bought a young 5 month old pure bred BLUE English staffy (Number 4) and his parents are each pure BLUE English staffy too (Numbers 5 and 6).
My question is, we would like to breed our two dogs together in the future when the best time would be (possibly in a year from now) or even under veterinary supervision with cervical or surgical A.I of these two dogs.
What sort of puppies would these two produce?
Would they all be black/brindle only since the blue dilute gene is recessive and weaker? Would the female parents colours come through in the new puppies, such as red/brown/fawn?

lastly, would the blue/dilute gene possibly show up in the puppies even though only the dad will be blue?
What if they all come out black/brindle and now are carriers of the blue gene, and if the NEXT generation, they are crossed back to the dad, or are bred with another blue staffy for example, would the blue show then?
I would love to leave this post up for some time if we go ahead with this, and show what ends up happening.
Thank you.

P.S I am a new grad Veterinarian and everything is or will be done with strict veterinary intervention/supervision, not just by myself but other vets. Yes I have learnt about a lot of genetics and breeding but not in this exact context.

adav6638@gmail.com
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos) Empty Re: genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos)

Post by Caryll2 Thu Dec 22 2022, 14:43

Hi & welcome.

Wow, a complicated subject, even for those who have studied colour genetics!

Do you know for certain that NO blue carriers are in your girl's ancestors? As you say, blue is recessive,  so many might have the gene but not show it.

Choosing a stud from blue parents won't necessarily give you blue pups (ps - is your girl & the boy pup genetically clear of L2HGA and Hereditary Cararacts & PHPV/PPSC, either tested or hereditarily clear? If not, DO NOT breed from either of them until those tests have been carried out).

Depending on the colour backgrounds of both dogs you could get...

Black brindle
Black brindle/white
Blue brindle
Blue
Fawn
Fawn brindle.
The last two could come through from the grand dam's side, as fawn is a dilute of red, so there may be a dilute gene from her.

I may have missed one or two! Big Grin
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos) Empty Re: genetics post: Crossing a blue staffy with a black/brindle staffy colour possibilities? (see photos)

Post by adav6638@gmail.com Mon Sep 04 2023, 05:17

Just to update anyone interested/following, they did breed and had 5 puppies, all identical to the mum (mostly all black with some white) and must be carrying the blue gene. They're growing quick and stocky!

Also a side note: I'm not a new grad vet yet but meant to say would be not to far from now. All 7 of them are getting all the veterinary care they require.

adav6638@gmail.com

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down