Skullkandi
Kathy
roxyrocket
shakespearesdog
9 posters

Go down

Colour Genetics Empty Colour Genetics

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:08

Ok as there has been so much talk of colours of staffs and undesirable/desirable colours and breeding etc i thought i would post this! I found it a really interesting read and fairly easy 2 understand.....

http://staffegenetik.se/eng_genetics_coatcolor.htm

Back to top Go down

Colour Genetics Empty Re: Colour Genetics

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:15

That was very interesting. So it seems that there really are skin problems in blue dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:18

Thats a very interesting article/web page. Thanks so much for posting it. I borrowed a few books about similar subjects a while ago. I will add it to favourites when I get home. Smile
I first became interested in colour genetics when I kept fancy mice.
I'm confused though wether Romeo is agouti red or reccessive red. He was born with a lot of black hairs including a ring around his tail, all these hairs grew out as he got older except for a few stray ones on his shoulders so i'd always thought agouti BUT his nose gets lighter in winter which apparently is a trait of reccessive red. I always thought it was snow nose!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyrocket Wed Mar 07 2012, 15:56

Really interesting article Blaze, thanks for sharing.
roxyrocket
roxyrocket
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:17

A fascinating read thanks for the post.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:49

been looking for something like this!
I've mastered horse genetics, and I've always wanted to master dogs as well!
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Colour Genetics Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 17:57

Thanks for a really interesting link.

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Wed Mar 07 2012, 18:45

thanx for sharing very usefull info!
marloes
marloes
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : pride and glory flying gentleman, isa v.d westmaat, soulman @ moorlandsdream, tygo @ moorlandsdream
Support total : 3

http://www.moorlandsdream.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 07 2012, 19:30

Caryll wrote:That was very interesting. So it seems that there really are skin problems in blue dogs.

Also blacks Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty Wed Mar 07 2012, 21:08

Andy wrote:
Caryll wrote:That was very interesting. So it seems that there really are skin problems in blue dogs.

Also blacks Wink

Interesting article Carly

I noticed that as well Andy other colours have their own problems also, just most on here seem to have something against the Blue dogs. its why i dont have Samson on my Avatar anymore Sad he's a great example of the breed he's dog and person friendly when i walk him all the kids shout him and stroke him. he won't ever win crufts but haho

Marty
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Mar 07 2012, 21:13

Blue Coat Colour and Inherited Conditions
In some breeds, colour varieties caused by the d/d genotype are associated with a disease known as "color dilution alopecia", CDA, leading to loss of hair and skin problems.
It turns out that not only d/d blue dogs are affected; the same disorder also occurs in black dogs, and is then known as "Black Hair Follicular Dysplasia".

it be the black staffy that carrying the blue gene

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Wed Mar 07 2012, 21:17

That's a really helpful article, thank you for sharing... I shall work my way through it and hopefully it'll help me work out what category Rolo will come under, as well as broaden my knowledge on the breed Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Colour Genetics Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Mar 07 2012, 21:19

your dog only 12 week old i will place money on him being a red brindle,

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Mar 07 2012, 21:23

Marty wrote:just most on here seem to have something against the Blue dogs.

I dont think most on here have a problem at all we love blue dogs, you just have to be carefull when you buying one my next dog weill be blue but i wont be buying one from breeder who mated 2 blues together.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 00:49

Marty wrote:
Andy wrote:

Also blacks Wink

Interesting article Carly

I noticed that as well Andy other colours have their own problems also, just most on here seem to have something against the Blue dogs. its why i dont have Samson on my Avatar anymore Sad he's a great example of the breed he's dog and person friendly when i walk him all the kids shout him and stroke him. he won't ever win crufts but haho

I'm not picking out the blues particularly - it's just that there is so little information on skin problems in blues that it makes a change to see something published. Skin & other health problems in other colours are quite well documented, like with allergies & deafness in whites.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Mar 08 2012, 09:40

I noticed that as well Andy other colours have their own problems also, just most on here seem to have something against the Blue dogs. its why i dont have Samson on my Avatar anymore
oh no don't feel like that, please put up a pic of Samson. Big Grin Blue, yellow, green, as long as its a staffy!
The only thing I have against blues is they seem to be some sort of bizarre trend atm and disreputable breeders are pumping out mushroom coloured 'blues' and overcharging by about £300 quid for an oversized and terrible example of a staffy. Theres been quite a few blue dogs arrested for looking type recently and these were kc reg dogs-no dog deserves that but they really did look so out of standard, more like ambulls if anything. Also everyone with a blue dog feels the need to announce it every two seconds 'my blue staffy bob' etc etc. Unless your asking questions about colour dilute alopcia your staffies colour doesn't have to be name dropped every two seconds! Do I litter all my posts with 'Romeo my red staffy'?!
Sorry, sorry i'm not having a go at you-far from it-but it does get on my nerves.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Mar 08 2012, 09:59

shakespearesdog wrote:
I noticed that as well Andy other colours have their own problems also, just most on here seem to have something against the Blue dogs. its why i dont have Samson on my Avatar anymore
oh no don't feel like that, please put up a pic of Samson. Big Grin Blue, yellow, green, as long as its a staffy!
The only thing I have against blues is they seem to be some sort of bizarre trend atm and disreputable breeders are pumping out mushroom coloured 'blues' and overcharging by about £300 quid for an oversized and terrible example of a staffy. Theres been quite a few blue dogs arrested for looking type recently and these were kc reg dogs-no dog deserves that but they really did look so out of standard, more like ambulls if anything. Also everyone with a blue dog feels the need to announce it every two seconds 'my blue staffy bob' etc etc. Unless your asking questions about colour dilute alopcia your staffies colour doesn't have to be name dropped every two seconds! Do I litter all my posts with 'Romeo my red staffy'?!
Sorry, sorry i'm not having a go at you-far from it-but it does get on my nerves.

Who exactly are you referring to here ?

I for one have never gone on about Max being blue "every two seconds" ... the only time I ever mention blue is in their defence about them being some form of sub-standard example because of colour, and the contraversial subject about "blue specific skin issues" pops up once again !!??

Other than that, he's just my boy and I'm proud of him the same as any of us are about our dogs, I dont even see his colour anymore if im honest .. it dosent bother me either way, I'm more interested in him developing into what think a stafford should look like regardless of what narrow minded "breeders" think Straight Face
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 10:07

Andy wrote:
shakespearesdog wrote:

I for one have never gone on about Max being blue "every two seconds" ... the only time I ever mention blue is in their defence about them being some form of sub-standard example because of colour, and the contraversial subject about "blue specific skin issues" pops up once again !!??

Other than that, he's just my boy and I'm proud of him the same as any of us are about our dogs, I dont even see his colour anymore if im honest .. it dosent bother me either way, I'm more interested in him developing into what think a stafford should look like regardless of what narrow minded "breeders" think Straight Face

total with you on this one i dont go round saying blue staff every two seconds if you lookl at my boys name its actually memphis blue but i dont go round calling him that haven't for a long long time and same here andy you dont see the colour you just see the dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 10:18

Really interesting article, thank you for sharing.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Mar 08 2012, 10:39

Other than that, he's just my boy and I'm proud of him the same as any of us are about our dogs, I dont even see his colour anymore if im honest .. it dosent bother me either way, I'm more interested in him developing into what think a stafford should look like regardless of what narrow minded "breeders" think

total with you on this one i dont go round saying blue staff every two seconds if you lookl at my boys name its actually memphis blue but i dont go round calling him that haven't for a long long time and same here andy you dont see the colour you just see the dog

When i said 'everyone' I was of course generalizing but I see it an awful lot, on here occasionaly, on other dog and random forums and in general when out and about. A lot of people -and I haven't said you-seem to think that because their dog is blue its special and rare, I don't think the second most common colour can be rare and all dogs are special in their own way. Wink Perhaps I should have specified but theres no need to get so defensive. I love staffies of every colour and dogs of every breed. I'm not a breeder and I don't think blue is a sub-standard colour. If it was up to me Liver would be in the breed standard and dogs wouldn't be penalized for light eyes and noses. Just because you don't name drop doesn't mean others don't.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Mar 08 2012, 11:06

Being defensive can come naturally when it seems to be a regular thing !!

and TBH, I have found that the only people who talk about the blue colour all the time, and think they are rare, or have problems that other colours dont, are those that have never had one !! ... Max's colour is ALWAYS the first thing people seem to mention when I'm out with him, and they "have never seen one that colour before" Rolling Eyes
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Mar 08 2012, 11:13

I'm sorry if I offended you Andy but it really wasn't my intention. I'm a great admirer of Max. You don't see blue dogs in general thats true, its not a common coat colour.
As i've always said a good looking dog is a good looking dog regardless of colour.
I don't have a problem with blue staffies, although i'd rather have a blue great dane. Wink
This is a very interesting read and explains why a lot of so called blue staffies look brown;
http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/dilutes.htm

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content