Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue?

+2
Nifty staffy
Maddiemkay
6 posters

Go down

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Empty Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue?

Post by Maddiemkay Sat Dec 25 2021, 05:47

Hi everyone.
I’ve created an account just to post this as I’m a little bit lost on what to do.
I have an 8 month old female English Staffy x American Staffy named Lola.
As Lola’s grown up, I’ve noticed that she experiences significant pain after exercise - in the beginning I pinned it down to sore muscles, but as time has gone on I feel like something is definitely wrong.
Every time she plays with other dogs or goes on a walk, she comes home extremely sore, she begins limping and trying not to bare weight on her back hind legs. She bunny hops down and up the stairs and can’t get on to the couch - I have to lift her. She struggles to lie down and usually opts to sleep sitting up hunched over as if she’s trying not to move her spine/hips/back legs. She rocks her body weight to build momentum to get up from sitting and lying positions and often cries and howls in pain. I often find her dragging one back leg behind the other also. These symptoms usually carry on for 3 days after exercise before they subside, but even when fully ‘recovered’ I find her walking pattern to be a bit off, she sort of gallops in her walk, her back legs move together in a hopping motion in stead of one foot in front of the other at times.
I took her to the vet and they did an exam on her and found no abnormalities and she didn’t show any discomfort for them, but at home it’s a completely different story. She cries, screeches, howls, her ears will be pinned back and she’s hunched over with a pained expression, but I think maybe the excitement of the vet causes adrenaline so she feels less pain? I’m not sure - but she didn’t react for them so they just sent her home with pain killers and said it was muscular. I just feel for her to be in such severe pain for so long as only 8 months old is odd - but I’m also not a veterinarian. This has also been going on since she was old enough to even go outside to play, but as times gone on it’s got much worse.
Am I overreacting? Should I demand an x-ray? Any advice would be amazing. Thank you Smile
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Empty Re: Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue?

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 25 2021, 06:06

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Empty Re: Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue?

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 25 2021, 06:15

Hello and welcome (and Merry Christmas Smile )

What exams did your vets do to come to the conclusion of sore muscles ?
From personal experience, I would strongly recommend finding a good orthopedic veterinarian and ask for xrays of spine, hips and knees.
I’m particularly thinking that she may have ruptured ligaments in her knees.
This is particularly common in bully/terrier breeds that are highly athletic balls of muscle. My vets compare it to a professional footballer who does a stop/start or twisting motion.

My Opium can “bunny hop” when she runs.
She does not have hip dysplasia *phew* but she had pulled the ligaments especially in one knee and she has a bad back (born that way)

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Sat Dec 25 2021, 06:28

Merry Christmas!
After Christmas I’m going to book her in for an x-ray (thank god for pet insurance)
The exam they performed on her was just a physical exam - pulling and feeling her limbs/joints/bones/muscles to see if they got a reaction from her, in which Lola didn’t even flinch to anything. She was quite happy. They made her walk up the street and back which she did with ease. She really loves the vet and gets super excited when she goes, so I wonder if she didn’t react due to adrenaline because once we’re home it’s like a completely different dog. You could be onto something with knees even - she’s a ball of pure muscle and is quite active. She’s just got back from a play and I have a very sore and depressed dog and I’m feeling guilty her Christmas is spent in pain. Hopefully an x-ray when the vets open again will provide some answers. Thank you, nice to know I’m not overreacting.
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 25 2021, 06:51

You know, these dogs are real tough nuts and very rarely complain.
Fingers crossed that the xray will at least give you answers but from what you explain, reminds me of ligament problems.

Do let us know how you get on Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 25 2021, 07:00

Just one other thing, do be careful not to over do things when you excercise Lola. At 8 months old she’s still a growing baby so the 5 minute rule still applies. Therefore not more than 40 minutes at a time Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 25 2021, 18:21

You might want to go to the vets with a few videos to show what she’s like at home. I did this and the vet appreciated the idea.

I also wonder about your bedding as you say Lola doesn’t lie down.
What works for us is a big and thick orthopedic memory foam mattress with a “plush donut bed” on top. Even in their weird and wonderful sleeping positions, their body is well supported Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sat Dec 25 2021, 19:41

Hi from me & Katy, welcome to our forum & Merry Christmas Smile
I would certainly ask for x-rays to see exactly what's going on! I would limit her exercise to just lead walking for now until you get some results from the vet.
Katy has arthritis in her back knee due to damage from charging around & spinning when younger. She has hydrotherapy once a week to strengthen her bad leg.

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Dec 28 2021, 05:31

Hi Maddie,
Just wondering how Lola is getting on. Have you managed to get an appointment for xrays ?

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Tue Dec 28 2021, 10:14

Hi there!
I can't call the vet until tomorrow due to the public holidays over Christmas. I'm hoping to book an X-ray whenever they have an available appointment.
I let Lola rest up Christmas and Boxing day, today she was going stir crazy so I took her for a short walk along the soft grass on our local oval. The walk couldn't have been longer than 10-15 mins and she was incredibly happy, but once again when she got home the pain started to kick in and she started to struggle with her back legs/hips.
Really hoping these x-rays give some answers because I'm becoming more and more convinced this is far from normal. If the x-rays come back clean I'll honestly be at a loss for words. I'm calling the moment they open tomorrow to get an appointment. Thank you for the help also <3 I'll keep updated.
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Dec 28 2021, 21:22

Awww, poor girl.
Just be aware that alot of vets can’t read ligament issues from xrays so they might suggest echograph as well.
Good luck, hope you get some answers

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Wed Dec 29 2021, 11:00

Lola’s booked for an X-Ray next Thursday! If it comes back clean they’re going to look at ligaments and run further exams/tests. I showed the vet photos and videos highlighting some of Lola’s symptoms and they have concerns surrounding her hips and lower lumbar spine. I’ll keep posted Smile
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Wed Dec 29 2021, 11:00

Lola’s booked for an X-Ray next Thursday! If it comes back clean they’re going to look at ligaments and run further exams/tests. I showed the vet photos and videos highlighting some of Lola’s symptoms and they have concerns surrounding her hips and lower lumbar spine. I’ll keep posted Smile
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Dec 29 2021, 15:51

Hopefully you will get some answers then. Hope all goes well Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? 3198918699

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Dec 29 2021, 19:38

That’s a big step in the direction of finding out what’s going on and how to counter.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Fri Dec 31 2021, 12:25

It's possible it's Panosteitis...

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/panosteitis-in-dogs

Not an unusual condition in dogs - if it is, it'll go away on its own, but you may need pain management for a while.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Thu Jan 06 2022, 02:52

Lola had her x-rays.
She’s been diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia of both sides and needs a total hip replacements. Nothing is holding her up bar muscle and joints are dislocated. I’m absolutely beside myself.
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Jan 06 2022, 15:16

Oh the poor thing Crying or Very sad She must be in so much pain! When are they planning on operating on her?
Sending you both big hugs Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? 3198918699

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Jan 06 2022, 18:15

Oh no, I really feel for you. Sad
But at least you know what’s going on and what the options are.
I’m not very familiar with hip surgery, are there several techniques applicable to Lola’s condition ?

Do take the time to digest this news but be aware that as soon as you can go to surgery, they do really recovery quickly and will be walking unaided 24-48 hours after the op !

If you are able to go ahead with surgery, ask your vet if they can operate both sides at the same time. As she’s already bearing most of her weight on her front end (typical for this type of muscled dog), she should be able to take double replacement which is also easier for shorter/simultaneous and more balanced/symmetrical recovery Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Sun Jan 09 2022, 00:01

Lola had a couple of options for surgery but we went with what was recommended which is a complete double hip replacement which will need to be done in two surgeries.
If she got both bionic hips put in at the same time, Lola would be pretty much a paraplegic while recovering - getting one at a time done allows her to still be able to eventually move around while recovering.
There’s a back up option of a surgery to do with cutting her femoral bones if her body decides to reject her bionic hips but because she’s so young and active we’re hoping her body won’t reject them.
I’m yet to hear back from a specialist on when they plan to operate - they’re trying to decide if they do it now as she’s in pain, or wait until she’s a year old and her body’s fully developed to prevent any issues as her body’s still forming and growing.
Lola will need to go through rehab after both surgeries as she’ll be out of action for a long time which will most likely decrease her muscle mass and strength.
I’ve been quoted anywhere between $7500 to $12,000AUD so I’m stressed about that but hoping with a mix of insurance, my savings and possibly a small bank loan I’ll have it all done.
Lola has an Instagram account @lolathestaffyxstaffy where I’ll be updating on her journey, as it’s going to be a long one.
Thank you guys for your support and help - def not the diagnosis I wanted but I’m happy we know what’s going on and how to help her. Everything happens for a reason, she’s a strong boisterous puppy - she’s the best dog this could happen to as she’s always ready to go, so I know for a fact she’s not going to let this keep her down any longer than it has to Smile
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jan 09 2022, 06:06

Thank you so much for the update. Lola really is lucky to have you as you’re clearly ready to do everything you can for her.
If there is a way to keep Lola as comfortable as possible for the next few months, I can understand how a later bionic hips surgery can have increased success.

However these following months pan out, I’m sure everything will go for the best and you’ll both be bouncing back.
Do drop in from time to time and let us know how you’re both getting on.
I already wish Lola a very speedy and strong recovery Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? 3198918699

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by brown Mon Jan 24 2022, 00:51

Nifty staffy wrote:Hello and welcome (and Merry Christmas Smile )

What exams did your vets do to come to the conclusion of sore muscles ?
From personal experience, I would strongly recommend finding a good orthopedic veterinarian and ask for xrays of spine, hips and knees.
I’m particularly thinking that she may have ruptured ligaments in her knees.
This is particularly common in bully/terrier breeds that are highly athletic balls of muscle. My vets compare it to a professional footballer who does a stop/start or twisting motion.

My Opium can “bunny hop” when she runs.
She does not have hip dysplasia *phew* but she had pulled the ligaments especially in one knee and she has a bad back (born that way)

agreed! same thing actually happen to my dog we brought him to the vet. maybe you could bring your dog to tplo vet. we also get 2nd opinion because we try to avoid surgical treatment

brown

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddiemkay Tue Mar 22 2022, 13:04

Hi everybody.
I know this post was a while back but I thought I would update.
Lola just got home from surgery!
I took her in this morning to have her right hip replaced with a bionic hip, despite both hips having severe dysplasia - the right hip was a lot worse so it was the priority for surgery.
However, once she was under for surgery, there were complications with the fitting of the bionic hip. They had to abandon the bionic hip completely while she was under anaesthetic and went for plan B of a Femoral Head Ostectomy, in which her femoral head was cut to stop the grinding, her muscles will then grow over it to create a false joint. She’s going to have one leg slightly shorter than the rest with reduced flexibility but besides this she will live her life pain free if she recovers well. Later in life however it’s almost a definite she will suffer forms of arthritis.
We’re waiting until further on in her recovery to see how we’re going to approach the left hip. Todays only day one.
She will need physiotherapy and hydrotherapy in a couple of weeks time.
Maddiemkay
Maddiemkay

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Mar 22 2022, 18:03

Oh, wow, that must have been so worrying for you!

It's good that she'll have a pain free life - arthritis can be controlled with supplements and meds if necessary at a later date, but it might be worth investing in a holistic supplement to support his joints in the meantime.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Mar 22 2022, 20:25

Oh bless her Love Struck At least she will be more comfortable now. Start adding things to her diet now to help with the oncoming arthritis. Katy has cbd oil, salmon oil, rose hip powder, turmeric paste. She's also on Metacam & had a Librella injection just after Christmas Advice On My Staffy Pup - Hip/Spinal/Leg issue? 3198918699

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:47

Thank you so much for the update and glad to hear the surgery went well, even if it was improvised plan b. Smile

I do agree to look into supplements now. I was recommended Flexadin Advanced but I’m currently going to add a glucosamine chondroitine MSM supplement too

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down