New Staffy on the block

4 posters

Go down

New Staffy on the block Empty New Staffy on the block

Post by Bololoco Wed Sep 01 2021, 21:54

My third post. Apparently, it should have been my first....oops!

Anyway, Bololoco's the name, chewing and grunting is the game.

2 and a bit year old Staffy/Boxer. Ridiculously cute and loving yet immensely challenging.

Came to me via a very ill friend who was finding him difficult to handle. I think the poor guy had sat in his cage for a lot of the day, so now he's in better circumstances, he's learning that play is fun.....and tiring, although the more he plays, the less tired he gets and therefore the more tired I get!

His previous name was Bolo. "Be On the Look Out", so when I got him and started exercising him, he was so out of breath that his panting sounded like a locomotive, so the new name is Bololoco. Loco also means crazy, which is very apt as he has a habit of chasing reflections, so within a fortnight, the kitchen Lino has been heavily scratched and needs replacing!! He also chases flies. WTF?

Funnily enough, I have other names for him but they're too rude to print. Just think....on the first day I had him, he got overly amorous with my leg. He also snorts like a pig....you work the rest out!

Anyway, within the first week, he's cost me £300 in vets bills with a swollen lump on his cheek, only to find out there was nothing actually wrong with him and that all he needed was some anti-inflammatory's.

I think the problem was caused by his collar. Obviously, being a boisterous teenager, he pulls like a train (Loco), which lead to the collar rubbing against his neck, causing it to inflame, although I've discovered that if he's given the handle of the lead to hold in his mouth, he walks normally. It should be noted that the handle of his lead was destroyed on day 2, so I have tied a monkey fist knot made of rope onto the end....a much cheaper solution than buying new leads!

So now, I'm really after a decent harness, but nothing ridiculously over-priced as some brands are. Perhaps one on which I can attach a cart to carry the shopping. Why let all that pulling power go to waste? Suggestions appreciated.

I know this all sounds like a bit of a moan but I think he's blinking well excellent. The greetings I get in the morning are nothing short of incredible and he also likes home cooking. Minced beef and onions in gravy anyone?

That'll do for now.

Bo
Bololoco
Bololoco
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New Staffy on the block Empty Re: New Staffy on the block

Post by Jenc Thu Sep 02 2021, 07:42

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
New Staffy on the block Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New Staffy on the block B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Sep 02 2021, 07:49

Hi from me & Katy Smile Sounds like you are doing a great job with him & letting him be a dog Smile All bullies are a handful but also adorable Love Struck How about this harness, padded so won't cut in & leaves the shoulders free to move! Different colours & sizes plus D ring on the back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TLH5651-Reflective-Stitching-Visibility-Adventure/dp/B077GWKZGR/ref=sr_1_20?crid=637YVJUAI6MI&dchild=1&keywords=dog+harness&qid=1630565127&sprefix=dog+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-20

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bololoco Thu Sep 02 2021, 20:12

Thanks for the link. It looks quite good, although i'm really after one with metal clips...not sure plastic will withstand too much pulling.

Icefang make one with a metal buckle, although it looks quite bulky and may be uncomfortable.

More suggestions please from anyone that reads this.
Bololoco
Bololoco

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Sep 02 2021, 21:33

Katy is on a collar of the same make with a plastic clip, she's 30kgs & has never broken one yet! She can pull but is dog reactive so kicks off & hasn't broken it after 2 years!

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bololoco Fri Sep 03 2021, 18:04

Ok, well i'll take a closer look, although I may end up with a Julius harness. I don't like them but they do have a big grab handle.

Bolo doesn't seem to make the first growl, but yes, dog reactive is definitely a way of describing him. Saying that, he's met a few dogs who've played with him without it getting out of hand.

I think some dogs owners allow their dogs to be growly and barky when they really shouldn't. Mine is quite a softy really, he just wants to be happy, not be prompted to fight.

Yours looks like a softy too. I'm sure they'd play very well together as they're of roughly equal size.
Bololoco
Bololoco

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Fri Sep 03 2021, 21:33

Katy doesn't want to fight she barks to keep them away! She has dog friends but met them as pups!

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bololoco Fri Sep 03 2021, 21:53

Jenc wrote:Katy doesn't want to fight she barks to keep them away! She has dog friends but met them as pups!

Bolo rarely barks. The neighbours dog does and it doesn't phase him at all. His main problem is selective hearing, he doesn't necessarily respond to his name when called unless it suits him....treats etc.
Bololoco
Bololoco

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 04 2021, 14:43

Bolo's a gorgeous boy!

Re: harnesses. The plastic clips on good quality harnesses are VERY strong & should easily withstand the power of a Stafford.

Ruffwear harnesses are pretty good, with good chest support, but no top handle.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Sat Sep 04 2021, 14:45

Bololoco wrote:Ok, well i'll take a closer look, although I may end up with a Julius harness. I don't like them but they do have a big grab handle.

Be careful with the Julius harnesses, if you have a dog that pulls backwards they can easily slip out of the harness! I know to my cost. Blushing
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy on the block Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Bololoco Sun Sep 05 2021, 16:38

Caryll2 wrote:Be careful with the Julius harnesses, if you have a dog that pulls backwards they can easily slip out of the harness! I know to my cost. Blushing

Surely that harness was too large of the straps hadn't been tightened properly?
Bololoco
Bololoco

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Mon Sep 06 2021, 07:50

Bololoco wrote:
Caryll2 wrote:Be careful with the Julius harnesses, if you have a dog that pulls backwards they can easily slip out of the harness! I know to my cost. Blushing

Surely that harness was too large of the straps hadn't been tightened properly?

Nope. It fitted perfectly. It's the one big flaw with the Julius - they're designed for a dog that pulls forwards, not backwards. If a dog works out that it can pull back in a certain way, the back of the harness rises & the whole thing pulls forwards over the dog's head. It's a well known problem which Julius either can't or won't address.

Plus, of course, the chest strap can impede shoulder movement. I use a Ruffwear harness on Badger & he's never managed to pull free of it. They are quite pricey, though.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy on the block Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Bololoco Mon Sep 06 2021, 18:30

Caryll2 wrote:Nope. It fitted perfectly. It's the one big flaw with the Julius - they're designed for a dog that pulls forwards, not backwards. If a dog works out that it can pull back in a certain way, the back of the harness rises & the whole thing pulls forwards over the dog's head. It's a well known problem which Julius either can't or won't address.

I'll look into that as I'm not fixed on the Julius harness. I also understand that Staffy's are desirable dogs to steal, so may consider something lockable with in-built GPS transmitters, although that may be costly to buy a ready made one.

Perhaps I could try putting something together myself? The components are relatively cheap and I know how to use a sewing machine and can manually stitch what needs to be stitched manually.

Caryll2 wrote:I use a Ruffwear harness on Badger & he's never managed to pull free of it. They are quite pricey, though.
Yes, prohibitively so.
Bololoco
Bololoco

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down