PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN...

5 posters

Go down

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Empty PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN...

Post by Jsquared12 Fri Jun 11 2021, 21:37

It's my turn to pick a pup, they're 6 weeks old tomorrow. I know there is no wrong answer but would love and welcome any opinions or input. 

I intend on putting the dog in a 3-4 week training camp around 7-8 months old. 

I've got a 6 year old son. From the first pictures at 3-4 weeks I've had my eye on the black collar. He just seemed to stand out from the rest physically at an early age. I think he still does. But now I'm a little nervous...
The breeders assesment today was:

Black Collar - hes the biggest, strongest willed, the alpha, stubborn....Haven't seen him back down. Hes a good staffy. Wouldnt have him around any other males. Youd definitely need to put him in training, hes high power and a lot of enery.

Blue Collar - Is laid back, nice build. Chill. Not the runt, not the alpha. He is dreamy eyed. Very nice coat of red. Darkest one of litter.

Grey - Has a nice build. Nice temperament: mild. Very vocal and....Confident.

I'm just a little anxious that the black one is the ONLY one they went out of their way to say would need training and all of the other things. They're 6 weeks old. I'm wondering if that's like saying a child will be bad because they were a bad baby haha

Thanks in advance for any input. Tell me what you guys think. I'm not asking to pick my dog for me lol, but i'd love and welcome some opinions and comments on the 3 dogs. Anything catching anyone's more experienced and trained eye?

I've attached pics of the 3 males I'm deciding between

https://servimg.com/view/20347326/5

https://servimg.com/view/20347326/7

https://servimg.com/view/20347326/8

Last edited by Jsquared12 on Fri Jun 11 2021, 22:09; edited 1 time in total

Jsquared12
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Empty Re: PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN...

Post by Jenc Fri Jun 11 2021, 22:03

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN... Empty Re: PICKING FIRST STAFFY PUPPY! SO TORN...

Post by Jenc Fri Jun 11 2021, 22:13

Hi from me & Katy Smile Welcome to our forum Big Grin tbh all 3 males are really gorgeous Love Struck What is does this training camp do & are you involved in it? I don't think much of sending your dog away to be trained then have to re-train to work with you! My brother has gun dogs, one he trained is amazing the other went to gun dog boot camp, he had to re-train her to work with him thinking

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Fri Jun 11 2021, 22:43

To be honest, all you need is some sit, lie down , come ,drop it and proper walking on leash, teaching those few shouldn't be a struggle and it surely will increase your bond with your dog and your dog will teach you a LOT about him, you will have a lot of time to do it, if you fail go to some trainer instead of sending your pal to a camp Wink

rotten991

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Oggi the schnitzel and zoey
Dog(s) Ages : 2mo and 7mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jun 12 2021, 14:13

Hello and welcome.
Wow, what an exciting moment finding the new family member.
Here are my thoughts.

When you say picking first staffy puppy, is that the first pick of the litter or your first time picking a staffy and/or first time dog owner ?
Is this training camp for preparation for showing or to prepare a particular activity like search and rescue ? If it’s just to ensure you have a well trained family dog and despite certain practices in certain countries, I really believe that you can do without bootcamp.
All you need is common sense, listen to your staffy and an open mind to maybe have to research to find the solution.

As to your choice of the pup, you definitely need to think hard on what type of environment your dog will be living and see which would suit this best.
Do you need a fast sports car or a multi people carrier or an economical city car or a big 4x4 ?
Are you looking for a family dog or the next showing and breeding champion or a dog with which you will do lots of activities like agility and the such ?

What I mean is that it’s really great the breeder has been able to assess their personalities and to share.
In terms of looks, all are gorgeous so you can’t go wrong there Smile
Would you have the possibility of meeting them and to see how the contact goes ? One you like might ignore you whereas one you think less of might cling to you and reveal the bond between you.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Jun 12 2021, 15:01

Totally agree with Nifty!

Can you visit the pups and see which one you bond with?

As to boot camp -  a definite 'no' from me. Staffords are intelligent, but they are also quite sensitive & a training camp may kill its spirit.

Read the book "When Pigs Fly" - it gives a lot of really useful training tips!...

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/When-Pigs-Fly-Training-Success-Impossible/30932372493/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-UK_Shopp_Tradestandard-_-product_id=COUK9781929242443USED-_-keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwtpGGBhBJEiwAyRZX2qGCpQHw8lpkcJqa9e-mrqW31ucng4ms8k54-E5EWPm1uE6JpPKNrhoC_2wQAvD_BwE

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down