Lethargy and Limping

4 posters

Go down

Lethargy and Limping Empty Lethargy and Limping

Post by staffiemixowner2021 Mon Mar 29 2021, 00:35

Hi - New poster and staffie owner here. I adopted a staffie mix about a month ago. He's 80 lbs, and the vet estimated his age to be about 15 months. I took him for a general wellness appointment at the vet a week ago, and the vet said he's in great health and is just the right weight, but I have some concerns about his walking that I thought I might get some input on.

This dog is very high energy at home. I'm even working with a trainer to find ways to release his energy in better ways (less biting, more mental stimulation, etc.). However, I've noticed he's had some trouble walking.

I've taken him on hikes three times. The first time was the weekend I got him, and he was fine. The second time, was about two weeks later. The hike was fairly steep, and he went slowly on the way down. At the very end of the hike, he started limping on his right front leg and licking his paw. I inspected his paw but didn't find anything at the time. But the next morning I found a burr or grass awn between his toes. I removed it, but he limped for another two or three days before he was back to normal.

About three weeks after that--last weekend and the day after I took him to the vet--I took him on another hike. It was again pretty hilly, and he had some trouble going back down, again moving very slowly. The next day, he was very stiff during our morning walk and seemed to be limping a bit on his two front legs. The stiffness/limping went away after two days.

Then this morning, during our morning walk, I took him to a nearby dog park. The dog park is about a mile away, and for the last quarter mile before the dog park, you have to go up a hill, though it's not too steep. He was a little slow going up the hill. It was our first time at a dog park, and he was a bit timid. He didn't run around and didn't really do anything other than briefly sniff the other dogs. After about ten minutes, we left. Again, he went very slowly down the hill. By the time we reached the flat sidewalk closer to my house, he was moving very slowly, to the point where he was walking behind me. The whole walk roundtrip was about 2 miles, and it wasn't especially hot out (about 75 degrees). He was tired when we got home, though of course about half an hour later, he had some zoomies.

I'm concerned about his walking and lethargy on hikes/walks. He's about 15 months old (possibly a bit older), and it seems odd to me that he would be walking this slowly at the end of a two mile walk. Some thoughts I initially had about the inclines were that: (1) he's not used to them; and (2) his nails were a bit long for the latter two hikes (I had them trimmed this past week).

Based on some googling (always a dangerous thing to do . . .), his symptoms possibly accord with either elbow dysplasia or lyme disease. As for elbow dysplasia, the general limping on the front legs is a symptom, and when he sits, his front paws face outward a bit. As for lyme disease, the general lethargy and limping/stiffness are symptoms (though usually the limping for lyme disease switches legs). However, he does not have loss of appetite. I did find a tick on him after the first hike, but it seems very new, and I quickly removed it and applied Advantix the next day.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm considering taking him back to the vet next weekend.

staffiemixowner2021
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Lethargy and Limping Empty Re: Lethargy and Limping

Post by gillybrent Mon Mar 29 2021, 07:11

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Wow, 80lb is huge for a Stafford - unless you mean a Staffordshire Terrier rather than a Staffordshire bull terrier?

Do you know what his exercise routines were before you got him?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by staffiemixowner2021 Mon Mar 29 2021, 07:23

Yes, I think I did mean Staffordshire terrier mix (perhaps mixed with lab). Still learning about these breeds.

Before I got him, he was fostered for a month, and before that he was briefly in the shelter, after being rescued as a stray. When he was fostered, he was walked 3-4 times a day for 20 minutes each time. Currently I’m walking him twice a day, for 30-40 minutes each time. And then we’ve done a few hikes on the weekends.

The foster parent told me he had no limping issues, including when hiking.

Attaching a couple photos to show how he sits.

Lethargy and Limping E393e210
Lethargy and Limping 7ae27210

staffiemixowner2021

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Mar 29 2021, 10:27

The paws turning out slightly is actually normal for Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and probably for AmStaffs etc as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I wonder if the hikes have just been too long as he's not used to that sort/amount of exercise? Maybe reign it in a little for a few days & then gradually increase again & see if that helps.

A joint supplement may help, but at his age I don't think he should really need them!

What a lovely looking boy he is! Love Struck

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Mar 29 2021, 13:10

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Lethargy and Limping Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Lethargy and Limping B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Mar 29 2021, 13:17

Hi from me & Katy, welcome to our forum Smile He's a handsome boy, what's his name?
It could well be that he's not used to long hikes & you will need to build him up to them. Might be worth getting another vet check but I would of thought he would have picked up dysplasia when he checked him over thinking

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Mar 29 2021, 18:45

Hello and welcome.
What a very handsome boy, congratulations to giving him his forever home Smile
I do echo what has already been said. Long nails do not help and he’s probably not used to your hiking. How long do you hike for ?
Nifty has her 10km limit, she can’t do more as she’s a big girl Blushing

Despite popular belief, not all dogs are athletes and maybe your boy has sensitive paws to the surfaces you are hiking him on ?
I would initially think he’s just not up to the new routine and he’s tired/ still adapting, bless him. Do watch and let us know how he settles in.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by staffiemixowner2021 Wed Mar 31 2021, 02:36

Thank you all for your help!

To answer some of your questions:

His name is Finn.

The most recent hike was less than 5km, so that's why I was surprised that he struggled so much. But it was entirely uphill the first half, and entirely downhill the second half. And he did try to walk on the grass rather than the hard dirt path, so perhaps that bothered his feet.

I'll keep watching his walking for the next week or so before deciding whether to take him back to the vet. On that last long walk, perhaps the new experience of the dog park mentally tired him out and that's why he was moving so slowly at the end.

staffiemixowner2021

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down