Hello from Minnesota

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Minnesota Empty Hello from Minnesota

Post by HopeFarm Sun Sep 06 2020, 19:42

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to be here and excited to learn more about this breed.

I'll admit, right up front, I am a breeder and shower of Standard Poodles. I like to do obedience/rally with my dogs and do conformation in venues that don't require the Continental clips..so I show them UKC and Internatonal shows, where I can keep them is simpler to maintain clips (living on a farm is not conducive to big hair).

Anyway, my young adult son has special needs. He suffers from schizophrenia and anxiety. He is on meds and is high functioning, but stuggles so much with social anxiety. He LOVES dogs, and wants one of his very own, but not one of his "mom's dogs"...I have been a fan of the SBT for many years, loved the ones I've met at shows and here and there and my son absolutely adores the bully breeds. I don't want another "bigger" dog in the house, so I'm thinking this would be a good fit, but I want to touch bases with other owners/breeders before deciding for sure, this is what we are looking for.

I have horses/dogs/chickens and sheep here, so I'm looking for a dog that is not excessively prey driven. My Standards will snack on the chickens if given the chance, and I can deal with that kind of behavior, but I don't want a dog that will try to take down my sheep or chase the horses and get it's head caved in. I'm looking for an energetic, affectionate, compact dog, that has confidence, but not overbearing (so no alpha puppy). I'm encouraging my son to compete with the puppy, trying out rally obedience or something, so he start expanding his social circle. This will be strictly a companion dog/non breeding.

So I begin our research on this breed and any insight/advise will be gladly taken.
HopeFarm
HopeFarm
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Support total : 0

https://www.unlimitedhopefarm.org

Back to top Go down

Hello from Minnesota Empty Re: Hello from Minnesota

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Sep 06 2020, 20:40

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Hello from Minnesota Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hello from Minnesota B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Sep 06 2020, 20:56

Hello and welcome Smile

So I have 2 staffies, 3 horses and 2 cats.
The girls will chase cats from the garden but not my cats in the house.
They do not chase the horses and generally keep clear of their legs.
For me, it’s a question of early training. Staffies are intelligent but alot more stubborn than a poodle (being a terrier) so you just need to keep that in mind.

Just one thing, I am referring to the “english” Staffordshire bull terrier which weighs 20kgs max, compared to your American staffordshire terrier (which we call AmStaffs here) which weigh almost double of our Staffies and are much bigger, like your pitbulls.

Our Staffies are nanny dogs so great with children. Great demonstration by Nifty today when I met up with a friend, she was wanting to lick the baby Laughing
My Opium is giving the border collies and such a serious run for their money at obedience classes.
I find staffies energetic but they can veg out in front of the telly in the evening too.

I may be biased but I think with your canine knowledge to give correct education, a staffy could be a great choice and significantly different from your standard poodles Wink
Oh, and staffies are real clowns with a big sense of humour too Laughing Never a dull moment with a staffy and their legendary smile is contagious to their humans

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HopeFarm Sun Sep 06 2020, 21:41

I like AmStaffs, but you are correct, they are big dogs and not what i'm looking for..its the true little staffy that I am seeking.

It sounds like one would fit in with my current pack o'hounds and be a good fit for an active young man. While this will be my son's dog, it will still be a member of our larger household...with all the critters that come with that.

Thanks for the info, that is helpful. I'm hoping with a dog of his own by his side, he'll be inclined to get out there and join the world a little bit more.
HopeFarm
HopeFarm

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Support total : 0

https://www.unlimitedhopefarm.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Sep 07 2020, 05:15

Please do let us know what you decide and how it goes with your son.
Any questions ? Hope we can help Smile

I guess it’s the same with your poodles (sorry for my lack of knowledge of the breed) but staffies have certain genetic disorders that you must screen to avoid future heartache. This unfortunately is particularly true of blue dogs.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Sep 07 2020, 07:15

Hi from me & Katy Smile A Staffie would be a great addition to your family & I'm sure would be a loyal companion to your son. They like nothing more than to spend time with you & especially cuddling Love Struck Katy only ever chases squirrels anything bigger she stays well away from Laughing

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down