house training

2 posters

Go down

house training Empty house training

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:10

Hi again.

Anyone recommend a good way of house training our 12 week old pup ?

We have tried to encourage her to use puppy pads and news paper even slightly scenting the puppy pads with the pups own little accidents and we also tried to move her to the pads mid stream Big Grin All she seems to want to do though is tear them up.

Milly is walked 3 times sometimes 4 times a day and we try stay out with her till she uses the toilet Cool but nine times out of ten she will come in after her walk and do it the house.

Any suggestions ?
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

house training Empty Re: house training

Post by janey Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:19

Perseverance, when your out with her stay out with her until she goes, it's a boring task, but you'll be suprised how quickly she will pick it up after the praise and love she'll get. I don't like pad training, you end up having to train them to go on the pad and then outdoors again. When you say walk do mean just the garden? Make sure any mess she does in the house is properly cleaned otherwise she'll associate it with where to go.

Least of all, she is really young, and will pick it up in time, some catch on quicker than others Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:44

The three P's - Patience, persistence and perserverance!!

My Charlie wasn't house-trained until he was just over 6 months old. There were times when I thought he was NEVER gonna get it. I just stayed calm, and took him out loads, I praised him profusely when he did it outside, and when he had an accident, I wagged my finger at him and said 'No! Bad Boy!' firmly (but only if I actually caught him in the act).

One day I realised that he hadn't had an accident in the house for over a week and that was that.

I wouldnt bother with the pads though, cos she'll get used to going on them and then you'll have to retrain her to go outside.

Good luck! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 18:54

No, I wouldn't use pads either.

If you have a garden, take her outside every hour & give LOADS of praise when she goes to the toilet out there. If she has an accident indoors, don't say a word, just clean it up & take her outside.

As shontelle says, the three 'p's work wonders!

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Sun Jul 10 2011, 20:06

janey wrote:When you say walk do mean just the garden? Make sure any mess she does in the house is properly cleaned otherwise she'll associate it with where to go.

She goes for proper walks on grassland at the back of where we live, she goes with my other 2 dogs a Jack Russell and our old heinz57 .

The Jack Russell Jessie is also a bitch and i kind of hoped Milly would pick up what to do from her.

thanks for the advice ill ditch the puppy pads

i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 10 2011, 21:30

I would also let her go outside when she wakes up, after eating and after a play session becuase puppies tend to go then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down