further house training?

Go down

further house training? Empty further house training?

Post by duggie Sun Nov 06 2011, 06:49

Our wee pup sasha has come on leaps and bounds in the short time that she has been with us Smile

however she will spend the night in the kitchen without any accidents but in the mornings when i convince her to come outside for a pee ect she goes for one but it takes alot of coaxing but then maybe 20 minutes after being out she comes into the living room and often has a pee its not such a big deal a good scrub an a spray with urine naturalizer and its ok but i`d like to stop this asap

i know she is only 8 weeks old but is there anything i can do to discourage her ? to day i loudly she uh huh and told her to go to bed she swiftly bolted away to her bed and had a little whine i feal utterly rotten but i also dont want her thinking its ok to go in the house!

if only she`d treat the rest of the house like she dose the kitchen lol

duggie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

further house training? Empty Re: further house training?

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 10:24

Like you say, she is a very young pup and going all night without toileting at her age is amazing, most need to be taken out at least twice in the night until they're about 12 weeks old so you're very lucky!

All you can do is take her out every hour, praise, praise and more praise when she does do her business outside. If she does it inside, only tell her off if you catch her in the act cos she'll have no idea what you're telling her off for if you do it after she's done it. Never smack her or rub her face in it, a firm no is enough. She'll catch on soon enough. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 10:35

duggie wrote: to day i loudly she uh huh and told her to go to bed she swiftly bolted away to her bed and had a little whine i feal utterly rotten but i also dont want her thinking its ok to go in the house!

Big, big no no!

Never tell a pup off for peeing inside. The only reason they pee inside is because they haven't yet learned to do it outside. You're actually telling her off for something that is totally out of her control!

All you can do is take her out every hour, plus after food, sleep & play so she can get used to going outside. If she has an 'accident' indoors, don't say a word, don't get angry or impatient. Just pick her up & take her outside, then go back & clean up.

An 8 week old pup does not yet have full control of its bladder, and accidents will happen, even if you take her outside regularly as above!

Just be patient & consistent & she'll get there! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by duggie Sun Nov 06 2011, 11:01

She is doing really well during the night so thats a big +

i read that telling them no while in the process of doing something indoors learns them to differentiate between inside and out i have read so much i dont know what whats right and whats not lol!

duggie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 11:07

With a lot of things, a quick "no" is fine, but with toilet training you'll be telling her off for something she can't help. She can't control her bladder the way an older pup or adult can, so when they need to go, they just go. That's why taking her outside regularly & praising her when she goes outside, but ignoring when she goes inside works better. She won't feel stressed about peeing, but will start to want to go outside so she gets the praise.

If you tell her off for peeing indoors, you could end up giving her a complex about peeing in front of you, even outside!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 12:14

Agree with Caryll. Don't tell her off when she goes inside. Just remove the smell and take her out every hour with lots of praises when she goes. Takes some patience but she will catch on.

Back to top Go down

Post by duggie Sun Nov 06 2011, 12:40

i must confess it was only once i said uh huh to her she has pee`d again but i just took her out side to finish

like i said above i use a urine naturalizer my mum gets from work, if i hope i dont get in bother for saying this but i dont know who makes it but they use it in care homes for the service users who have accidents the stuff is the bee's knees smells good too!

duggie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 12:45

I think you are on the right track. Just be patient and she will catch on. At her age she doesn't really have alot of contol over her bladder. If you tell her off she will be ashamed and think using the toilet is a bad thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 14:34

she is doing really well going all night, ive been really lucky with woody too as hewent all night right from the off. he only ever goes inside now when stressed or when he does it on purpose out of badness!!! it will get better

Back to top Go down

Post by duggie Wed Nov 09 2011, 05:54

just to update the thread a little

sasha appears to be a little more reluctant to pee/poo in the living room it might be down to the fact she treats it like a second "den" she's slept on the sofa for two days now! and back to bed at nights i also notice once she wakes up she no longer wastes time she heads right for the door and sometimes yelps rather loudly to alert us she needs out Either its freakishly coincidental or we have a verry bright pup

I know it might not be a good idea letting her sleep on the sofa but i think if she's part of the family she has just as much right to a spot on the sofa as i do!

duggie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 11:17

duggie wrote:I know it might not be a good idea letting her sleep on the sofa but i think if she's part of the family she has just as much right to a spot on the sofa as i do!

Absolutely your choice! I didn't let Dempsey sleep on the sofa when he was a pup cause he'd have eaten the cushions. But now he pleases himself. He starts off in his crate, goes on the sofa or one of the armchairs during the night and then goes back in his crate early hours of the morning!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down