Advice re DA towards my boy please.

4 posters

Go down

Advice re DA towards my boy please. Empty Advice re DA towards my boy please.

Post by Lizzie Fri Jul 08 2011, 18:21

Need help please. Harry who is just 3 years old regularly has to meet a neighbours new dog (a male collie) who has a go at Harry as soon as he set eyes on him. My boy is no angel, he can be a little selective aggressive to other male dogs though not all, and not to bitches. Initially he didn't respond to the collie, just sort of looked at him as if to say don't be so blooming stupid. But now he's got fed up with it and will give as good as he gets, and sometimes will even kick off first.

There is no way I can avoid meeting this other dog, and his owner and me would love to resolve the issue. We appreciate they will never be friends but would like to be able to walk down the lane or across the fields without the worry of bumping in to each other and the two dogs 'having a go'.

The Collie is a rescue, 4 years of age and has been castrated, and my boy was castrated for health reasons 3 weeks ago today. Harrys first experience of a dog being aggressive towards him was with a collie who had a pop at him when he was 2 years old. Harry is always on lead and the collie walks off lead to heel with his new owner who now puts him on the lead as soon as he sees us. He was told by the previous owner that the dog was friendly to all other dogs.

Not sure what I can do when its another dog starting the trouble but would appreciate any advice from anyone, especially if you have experienced this. I always have the fear of my boy getting the blame if a fight started just because hes a staffie. Sad

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Advice re DA towards my boy please. Empty Re: Advice re DA towards my boy please.

Post by Steve Fri Jul 08 2011, 21:12

it's a hard problem to fix, have you thought about have a long lead?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Advice re DA towards my boy please. Empty Re: Advice re DA towards my boy please.

Post by gem Fri Jul 08 2011, 22:51

I think once your boy has a dislike to a certain dog then it will always be the same way . If I was you I would one day talk with the other owner and arrange to walk the dogs together it may be difficult at first but getting used to each other the more you do it, obviously dont let them close enough so that they can start aggresion with each other but so they are in each others presence Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 01:20

gem wrote:I think once your boy has a dislike to a certain dog then it will always be the same way . If I was you I would one day talk with the other owner and arrange to walk the dogs together it may be difficult at first but getting used to each other the more you do it, obviously dont let them close enough so that they can start aggresion with each other but so they are in each others presence Smile

This is my thought as well. You also may want to both take your dogs for a good long walk by yourselves before you try putting the two together for a walk. This way they don't have all that stored up energy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 02:38

Yes I have heard the best way for dogs to meet and accept each other is to go for lots of long walks where the 2 dogs walk side by side ( but not to close that they can get to each other of course..)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 04:16

When walking and you guys accidentally bump into each other try not to allow a face few/eye contact in the dogs, one of you turn around and walk the oposite way so the other will be following, they can then slow down and let you pass side by side. Try and get both dogs as tired as possible a run/play/training etc, When you attept to walk together one of you follow the other fist until things get a little calmer then slowly approach and walk side by side, both owners walk side by side not both dogs, if they happen to start up, just tug them forward and keep on walking one following the other until things are calm once again then approach again. Hope this helps, Its never easy having a selective dog aggressive dog I know, if you ask me its worse than just a standard dog aggression with the standard you know to keep them away from all dog end of but with a selective one, you never know their so unpredictable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 09 2011, 10:31

Can't add any more, very good advice from gem, jstaff & MissRogue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ti Amo Edinburgh Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:27

Lizzie wrote:Need help please. Harry who is just 3 years old regularly has to meet a neighbours new dog (a male collie) who has a go at Harry as soon as he set eyes on him.

Sorry, was tired, and not read all the responses, however, would it perhaps be possible to walk the two dogs together, so that they gradually grow to welcome their meetings in the area you describe?

You could walk them on lead so that you both had total control at all times, and if both owners gave lots of praise for when they walked closer together without any bother, then I think they may gradually accept one another, and the problem would be no more.

But as with all things, it takes that wee bit of work.

Steve
Ti Amo Edinburgh
Ti Amo Edinburgh
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ti Amo
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Sat Jul 09 2011, 22:53

Thanks for your advice everyone. Going to suggest this to my neighbour as we would both like our dogs to be able to at least tolerate each other.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Ti Amo Edinburgh Mon Jul 11 2011, 20:16

Lizzie wrote:Thanks for your advice everyone. Going to suggest this to my neighbour as we would both like our dogs to be able to at least tolerate each other.

If they go along with it, repetition will be the key, and lots of patience.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

x
Ti Amo Edinburgh
Ti Amo Edinburgh

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ti Amo
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down