Crates - for home and travel

4 posters

Go down

Crates - for home and travel Empty Crates - for home and travel

Post by Nifty staffy Sat May 27 2017, 18:46

So I've already been thinking about a crate but am stuck on size, which also depends on use from what I understand.

I already have plastic travel case to fetch little'un which measures L60xW40xH40 cms.
I was intending on using this for her "safe sleeping place" at first, case put within pen (panels H80cms).
Then I was going to invest in a larger version for sleep and travel when current case outgrown
BUT
I realise that the size required for crate training is somewhat larger than required for car travel.

So first question would be, how do you travel your (adult) dogs ?
Loose in car ? Loose in boot of car ? Tied via harness ? In crate or equivalent ?
If I wanted a plastic crate for travel to ensure her safety and comfort whilst conserving a maximum of space in the car, what size would I need ?

Breeder recommended L90xW60xH65cm but I think this is for crate house use, and this is the size for a german shepherd. I cannot imagine putting this in the car, especially as I need space for the horses' stuff too.

Is a compromise between house crate and travel crate possible ? For the investment, it was a nice idea to be able to use for both.
I appreciate that foldable "cage-type" crates are more affordable but I'm not very keen on travelling with this in the car.

Thoughs and advice please ? Thanks
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Crates - for home and travel Empty Re: Crates - for home and travel

Post by Guest Sun May 28 2017, 07:40

I'd start off with asking what you need a crate for. I don't use them at all. The only time I have in the past has been for a specific purpose - Millie was crate trained as a puppy as we didn't know if she'd be strong enough to join in the rough and tumble games of the others.

In the car, my guys are in the boot which has a dog guard to restrict their movement and make sure that, in the event of an accident, they can't fly forwards. When we've had issues with a dog not initially being happy to travel in the boot, I've used harness + seatbelt clips. It's not safe to have a dog completely loose in the car but seatbelt clips are a great compromise.

In the home, I can understand why some people might want their dogs crate trained but for me they are vastly over-used on a day to day basis, especially as a replacement for training. I hate to hear of dogs locked in crates (i.e. door closed) unless it's following an operation or something, and even then there are alternatives.

So that would be my starting point - do you actually need one at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun May 28 2017, 09:29

im sorry im not a fan of crates either. you could get a seatbelt for the car and a harness this way the dog won't feel trapped . with your dog being a rescue ad being put in a cage most of the time they may not be happy with a crate . i looked on amazon and heres a seatbelt clip
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetGear-Happy-Pet-Seat-Belt/dp/B00422L57Y/ref=sr_1_2/258-9627963-2573615?ie=UTF8&qid=1495959947&sr=8-2&keywords=seatbelt+pet
here is also a harness
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-TEC-RACPB13-RAC-Harness-Medium/dp/B000AYYOSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495960125&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+harness+for+the+car.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Crates - for home and travel B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun May 28 2017, 14:14

crates, used properly, can be lifesavers. I understand why some people don't like them because used wrongly they are a prison.

if they are used as a safe place to leave a dog for short periods (or overnight) then they're very useful. once a dog feels comfortable & safe in a crate it can be left with the door open so that the dog can go in and out when he wants to sleep or just 'get away' from the hustle & bustle of life!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by GRAHAM.C Sun May 28 2017, 22:23

gillybrent wrote:crates,  used properly,  can be lifesavers. I understand why some people don't like them because used wrongly they are a prison.

if they are used as a safe place to leave a dog for short periods (or overnight) then they're very useful. once a dog feels comfortable & safe in a crate it can be left with the door open so that the dog can go in and out when he wants to sleep or just 'get away' from the hustle & bustle of life!

Yes,i'm in agreement with you on that one gilly.May not be so important for an adult dog,but for a young pup used in the correct manner are very useful.I have always trained my pups to use one,and they seem to love them,Use it as a cave and not a prison.
GRAHAM.C
GRAHAM.C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : TESS
Dog(s) Ages : DOB JUNE 2016
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down