Crates

4 posters

Go down

Crates Empty Crates

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16 2013, 23:08

Of course, I have seen many posts lauding the advantage of crates, especially when covered on 3 sides like a den.

I've never felt I had the need of a crate before, even when I was working 8 hours a day, as my Dobes were perfectly happy with the run of the house, and my second Dobe slept with me at night.

However, now I am retired and have Kuchar (a Staffy, nearly 14 months old) and I'm wondering if a crate would be good idea for him and would welcome your advice. The reasons I am considering a crate are:-

1) Kuchar doesn't have a bed of his own. From day 1 (at 3 months old) he slept at night firstly with my son, and now with me now that he's bigger (big son + single bed doesn't give Kuchar enough room to sleep comfortably).
We gave Kuchar a lovely little day bed at first (like you get at PAH) but that soon disappeared in a flurry of puppy teeth! Now, when Kuchar is in need of a doze during the day, he sleeps on the floor or on the sofa.

2) Because both I and my son are around the house virtually 24/7, Kuchar has difficulty coping with when we are both out of the house at the same time, although he is never left alone for more than about 10 minutes. He used to wail when I popped to the local shops (of course, he didn't know how long I'd be gone); he's getting better about that now, but for instance if I have to take my son to the doctor (an hour or so, generally) we have to take Kuchar with us in the car, which he hates (but that's another story).

3) My son and I have a somewhat volatile relationship upon occasion, and Kuchar gets distressed and hides under my bed (which is quite den-like) which breaks my heart.

I am really thinking that a crate, with 3 sides covered as suggested, might help Kuchar a lot, but would value your opinions. But finally, if I get a crate, how big does it need to be? I saw todays photo from Vikki with the crate that she got for Knox and I'm glad that it is working for her, but would I need such a big one?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone could give me.

Back to top Go down

Crates Empty Re: Crates

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16 2013, 23:34

It's nice for them to have their own place to retreat to for whatever reason, so I like them, but it depends. If you think Kuchar is doing well without one, then there wouldn't be any need, it's your choice. As for the size, enough for them to comfortably stretch out lying down is good, I think. I got Loki the biggest I could find, but he's 21" in height, and wasn't sure if he was done growing. Have a look around online and see what you think.

The last one I got for Loki is 42" x 28" x 31", and he can easily stretch about in there, so I reckon a smaller one would be fine Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sun Feb 17 2013, 00:10

Cassie loves her crate it is covered on 3 sides with a drape over the door so it is basically a closed den, Even though someone is home the majority of the time she prefers her space and has filled it with toys and hides her stag bar under her quilt lol. Cassie's crate is not that big really it's 36"x24"x24" tall and it's plenty of space she quite often sits up and stretches out of the door, she has room to lie,sit,stand and as I said she spends lots of time there by choice
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 02:01

Thank you for your advice.

The old stuffy housewife in me is not keen on having a big cage draped in old curtains in my living room, but I want Kuchar to be happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 02:05

The boys love their crates i have a 36" for harv and 48" for chance they also have a cover over them too.

They used to go in them every time we went out and happily did, they have a bed and their kongs in there.

They are left loose in the house now if we are out, but they have the option of using them should they wish too

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 17 2013, 11:47

If you are to get a crate get the biggest to fit in the space where it will go, if that makes sense.

Rocky has his crate in the hall of our flat which he sometimes go in but usually goes on our bed during the day or if we go out. it has his blankets in there which he usually drags out. It is also very handy there so Rocky can jump into it when anyone comes to our front door, which opens out straight onto a communal green area for the street.

Crates are a good idea to give your dog someone to retreat to should he need to feel safe and secure and can be made very cosy.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Sun Feb 17 2013, 11:53

i dnt personally use a crate now with tyke been older. but from what you said it would be worth a try to see how he takes to it. keep us updated with what you decide x
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:01

Suki loves her crate. Well, it's not really a crate more of a plush dog house but she goes in there anytime she wants to be alone. I think they are great and every dog needs a place to go and feel safe if they want to be by themselves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 19:45

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I would like a nice cosy den to crawl into when things get a bit much, so as I'm going to PAH tomorrow anyway, I'll look at what they've got and take it from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sun Feb 17 2013, 19:51

Take Kuchar with you to sit him in and see how he looks in it, i took Cassie to try them all then bought cheaper on line once i got the sizes i was happy with Blushing
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 19:52

Lynda wrote:Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I would like a nice cosy den to crawl into when things get a bit much, so as I'm going to PAH tomorrow anyway, I'll look at what they've got and take it from there.

crates are alot LOT cheaper online and especially ebay, they cost a small fortune at p@h!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 19:55

Thanks Ella, I suspected as much! Not sure I can face the hassle of ebay, but I'll look there too. Oh, if I do buy a "used" crate, should I disinfect it before I use it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 20:45

Lynda wrote:Thanks Ella, I suspected as much! Not sure I can face the hassle of ebay, but I'll look there too. Oh, if I do buy a "used" crate, should I disinfect it before I use it?

ebay is the best thing ever!

I have 3 crates off ebay, 2 brand new and chances 48" crate cost me £10. It was like it hadn't been used but i gave it a good wash with soapy water and a wipe with a disinfective wipe Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 20:55

Thanks Ella! £10 sounds good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 21:07

I was very very happy that day Big Grin i love a bargain

This is harvs crate the 36" one and it comes with a little bed and the lint roller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110753818339?var=410052334824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 21:31

You're a star Ella, thank you. I was wondering what to do about the bed, and this has one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17 2013, 22:19

Lynda wrote:You're a star Ella, thank you. I was wondering what to do about the bed, and this has one!

your welcome Smile don't forget they do bigger sizes if you can fit a bigger crate Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Mon Feb 18 2013, 08:40

Hiya

I got Knox the massive crate as he loves to scrabble his bedding (as in he stands on it and then digs with his front legs, kicks with his back legs and headbutts it to make it comfy).

So far so good. He likes to go in it to sleep at nite and when he's fed up at home he goes into his crate and falls asleep or has a chew on his Wubba. We did put him in it for like half hour yesterday whilst at Asda and when we got back he had scrabbled all his bedding and was sitting waiting for us. He wasn't crying so that's a good sign I guess.

Anyway - you don't have to get a massive one like I did (£63.99 from Argos), but we wanted a massive one to give him room to scrabble.
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down