My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do

5 posters

Go down

My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do Empty My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Jun 05 2016, 20:59

My Staffy likes most dogs but is not so keen on uncastrated ones. However the only dog we come across that he really loathes is this uncastrated young dalmation. I want him to be sensitised to this dog as he lives nearby and both dogs are frequently off lead in areas where they may "bump" into each other. I tried walking first behind and then in front of the owner with my own dog, but Rupert was so tense he wasn't going to relax even after two or three minutes. I am going to give it some more goes. Maybe try and go for walks with Dalmation people with both dogs on lead but for longer periods of time. Any advice?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do Empty Re: My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do

Post by ClareGilby Sun Jun 05 2016, 21:58

I think dogs are like humans, there are people we don't like either. It's the same for them too. My girl is really dog friendly but there are dogs I can't let her off lead with, I wouldn't worry too much.
ClareGilby
ClareGilby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do Empty Re: My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do

Post by -Ian- Tue Jun 07 2016, 20:32

If it's just the one Dog do you think the owner would be up for you all walking together on lead. Simply so that they get used to each other, they may not end up as best buddies but may well simply get along.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My Staffy HATES dalmation uncastrated dogs and I'm not sure what to do B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Jun 07 2016, 21:38

Yes this is what I was thinking might help. Yes the owner would be up for it. Rupert will run yo to this dog and growl at him / it is very intimidating and he doesn't do this other dogs. I don't even want to say the word attack but I have to be honest and face my fears scout this and try and sort it out. We live near a large park and Dalmatian moved in nearby maybe five months ago. It's inevitable that they will meet off lead again
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Jun 09 2016, 21:21

Must be worth a try, let us know how you get on

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Thu Jun 09 2016, 21:37

Vinnie is also good with most dogs but again as Claire says there are a few that he doesnt get a good vibe for,,,,,,,usually huskies oh and 1 black lab cross who ran out the gate across the road at him rather nastily when he was a pup,,,,,,, he hasnt forgotten and tenses everytime we walk by,,,,,,guess a suggested walk would be an idea Smile

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Lesco Thu Jul 14 2016, 08:57

My boy Zaz is the gentlest dog you can meet when it comes to humans, but if he sees another animal, even cartoon ones on the tv he growling, the hair on his back stands up and he starts barking, he just does not get on with other dogs or animals in general, hes been like it since we got him as a puppy, dont know why.............................
Lesco
Lesco
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tegan and Zazoo
Dog(s) Ages : 5 and 4
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch and Dog
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down