Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!!

+3
Mia05
gillybrent
Dtookey90
7 posters

Go down

Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!! Empty Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!!

Post by Dtookey90 Wed Mar 09 2016, 09:27

Hi guys my new princess comes home in a few short weeks and was wondering what the best worming, flea and tick treatment would be best? Heard very bad things about Bob martin, does anyone recomend good brands
Tia
Dtookey90
Dtookey90
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 07/02/2016
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!! Empty Re: Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!!

Post by gillybrent Wed Mar 09 2016, 11:29

i wouldn't used a flea treatment unless there is a flea problem - i don't like the idea of such strong chemicals being used for no purpose, especially for a puppy.

if you still want to use one then get something like advocate - never use the off the shelf ones like bob martins, they don't work & they can be quite dangerous.

worming is a different matter. i would personally worm a dog twice a year maximum with a good quality wormer like milbemax (which also helps to prevent lungworm). I think worming is far more important than de-fleaing because the worm toxocara canis can cause blindness in children if they get it on their hands & rub their eyes.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!! Empty Re: Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!!

Post by Mia05 Wed Mar 09 2016, 16:06

I use drontal for mia worming wise I dnt use flea treatment she doesnt get near other dogs id also only use flea treatment in summer otherwise the fleas become immune to the treatment only use the treatment if your dog gets walked near long grass and comes into contact regularly with other dogs imo Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenny k Wed Mar 09 2016, 18:06

I use Drontal for Arthur he picks up all kinds of unmentionable rubbish.I don't like using flea treatments either.Having said that I do my cats on a regular basis as they mix with other cats.I think there are some awful strong chemicals in the treatments.

Jenny k
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Wed Mar 09 2016, 19:31

I use advocate because it does a bunch of other, way more serious beasties as well as fleas. Also, the one time Gizmo got fleas he got a wicked rash afterwards as a reaction to the flea muck.

It's less pricey if you can get a prescription off of your vets and then buy it off the internet. My vets charges about £10 for the prescription and then I bought it from here http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-prescription-only-advocate-for-dogs-c-21_701 When I bought advocate from the vets it was about 3-4 times more expensive.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocco's mum Thu Mar 17 2016, 18:49

gillybrent wrote:i wouldn't used a flea treatment unless there is a flea problem - i don't like the idea of such strong chemicals being used for no purpose, especially for a puppy.

This worries me also. I've been given Advocet and Drontal by the vet and told to use Advocet every 2 months but I feel this is too much. I've read articles online saying overuse of these treatments can cause cancer. There are homemade treatments for fleas and worms if you google but not sure how effective they are. Its hard sometimes trying to do the best for our babies i dont know
Rocco's mum
Rocco's mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Rocco
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 11/10/15
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Mar 17 2016, 20:00

We use Advocate but not every month, I feel that's too often. Milbemax is the wormer we use also. I think it's personal choice but I would always er on the side of caution.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Wormer, flea and tick treatment help!! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down