What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight?

5 posters

Go down

What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight? Empty What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight?

Post by Richard_b Sat Jan 09 2016, 13:58

Hello everyone,

Right Moose has put on a few too many pounds, mainly because of my parents giving too many little treats!

Moose doesn't go off lead unfortunately, but this is something I'm working on to try to change. This doesn't help at all with her waistline.

Basically my question is what are some good ways for dogs to lose weight apart from the obvious running around off lead? Is there anything with Staffies in particular which I can do to help her lose weight?

Thanks!

Richard_b
Richard_b
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Moose
Dog(s) Ages : 6-7
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight? Empty Re: What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight?

Post by Rachel33 Sat Jan 09 2016, 15:14

Different types of exercise are always useful, is there a reason that she can't be off lead? Bug is quite a nervous girl and I can't let her off completely either but I do have a long line that I attach to her harness, allowing her to run about whilst I still have control.

Bug plays with her flirt pole, swims, hikes, lead walks, runs.. etc etc for exercise. This keeps her trim, though she has definitely put on weight this winter and I'm wondering if her age may be a factor as she's a little older now.

Does Moose have daily walks? What is her general diet like? I'm planning on cutting Bug's main meals down a little, but substituting with veg so that she's not hungry. Obviously would recommend cutting down on treats etc also.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight? Empty Re: What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight?

Post by -Ian- Sat Jan 09 2016, 19:39

I think Rachel has it pretty much spot on Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

What are some effective ways for our Staffies to lose weight? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard_b Mon Jan 11 2016, 10:59

Thanks for your reply Rachel.

She can't be let off lead because she has one or two issues with local dogs and I don't really trust her recall if she saw one of these dogs.

It's really frustrating because her interactions with dogs have improved immeasurably over the past year or so and she very rarely shows aggression to other dogs now (unless they do to her).

Other little terrier types have run up to her barking and being aggressive whilst she is on lead on numerous occasions which makes it even more frustrating because Moose is far, far less aggressive than these dogs. As these dogs are smaller though they are let off lead despite the aggression, and I can't do the same with Moose!

The thing is I don't want to take the risk of her seeing one of the dogs she doesn't get on with because of the inevitable consequences! I have considered muzzles etc but in all honesty I just haven't got round to it with one thing and another...

Moose has a daily long walk on lead, at least for an hour. She could do with going out during the day too really but there is nobody to take her and my mum can't really control her anyway if she is free.

Her diet is one feed in the morning and one in the early evening and the food we use is dry Autarky food. She gets a couple of handfuls with each feed.

The problem really is all the little bits she gets throughout the day and the fact that she isn't let off lead to run off some of those calories...

I have considered taking Moose for jogs before work, but she is very stubborn in the mornings, particularly during the winter months, and just plain out refuses to go out if it is cold and windy or wet! By the time I get home from work I don't really have the energy to go on a jog with her so the long walk is what I do.

Your suggestions are really good and I think I'll have to consider some way of jogging with her and using a very long lead. A funny side story is that one time when I put her on a long lead on a football field, she saw something and sprinted towards it and with the force she hit the end of the lead with, I literally flew off my feet and fell with a large thud back first onto the grass haha!
Richard_b
Richard_b

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Moose
Dog(s) Ages : 6-7
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by kattie Tue Jan 12 2016, 21:19

I set up a springpole in my garden for millie, it's great exercise. I condition millie for sports like athletics which we compete in and agility. and she walks about 10 miles a day as I'm a dog walker Smile
but the springpole is so effective for conditioning and stripping weight off. You could also get a backpack for her to carry whilst walking not only is that great for adding bit of extra weight while walking it also gives them a job to do Smile
my customers got one for there beagle as she was over weight and it worked wonders Smile
kattie
kattie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie Jasper
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years, 8 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 82

https://www.facebook.com/CanineCoachingCareDogWalkingServices?re

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Tue Jan 12 2016, 22:55

Even with a decrease in food my lot put on a little weight through the winter although some of it is normal but it was hard getting the extra off, so i invested a small treadmill, got my lot to accept it, after a short toilet walk on horrible winter days, we came back for a few minutes on the treadmill. training from 2 minute walks to 10 minute jogs.
A long line, mine is around 50m. for my boy and he loved fetching and aflirt pole and he also has a spring pole down my allotments.
Also diet is a big deal, cheaper the food the more fillers and fatteners are in it. Anything under £25-£30 for 10-12kg is pretty crappy. If they've not had an active day they don't get their daily requirement.

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down