Play fighting

5 posters

Go down

Play fighting Empty Play fighting

Post by Angiedoll84 Tue Aug 11 2015, 22:30

Hi all, its been a long time since I first owned two dogs and I'm having issues with what appears to be play fighting. I keep getting told that play fighting is natural and its just my male establishing a pecking order over our new 1 year old female. I don't remember my other two fighting like this. They cuddle up, kiss, sleep side by side, eat side by side and generally get on very well. Tyler (almost 4) does let Roxy (just turned 1) know when he isn't in the mood by a light snarl. But Roxy likes to play rough. He's a very big lad and much stronger, she herself is quiet big and I think still to grow staffy bull mastiff cross. I feel it needs stopping and trying to tell everyone round me i'm right in this.
There are lots of little dogs in my compound, which has a large shared open space, yorkie and a Maltese and a puppy jack Russell I don't want my two thinking this behaviour is acceptable with other dogs by ignore this behaviour.
Before we had Roxy Tyler was very laid back such a softie, I just don't want this new found desire to rough play to come out when with one of the neighbours dogs.

Do I stop it? At what point? and is this normal behaviour?
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Tyler and Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : One of each
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Play fighting Empty Re: Play fighting

Post by -Ian- Tue Aug 11 2015, 22:43

I think this is an issue that lots of us have, it can be quiet scary for people that don't know what Staffies are like.

I would try separating when it gets too rough to be comfortable and work on a time out command like "Enough" which when obeyed can be rewarded. It might take some time for the penny to drop but well worth it if you can be consistent and achieve it Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Play fighting B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Tue Aug 11 2015, 22:48

They do response to me when I ask them to stop so I.m good in that area. Just shocked how often they do fight. My first two staffs never really fought. I do remember them having one or two in there lives but my two now are crackers.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Aug 11 2015, 22:57

I guess you've also got to remember that Roxy is still very young and full of life so you might have this boisterousness for a while yet Rolling Eyes Laughing

Play fighting B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Tue Aug 11 2015, 23:06

Yes, most definitely... Early bird too, rareing to go at 5am (fortunately so am I) loves everything, she's a real joy to have around. Just worry Tyler will hurt her. He's her total opposite so laid back and will sleep in till 9 if he can.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Aug 11 2015, 23:13

Tyler's old enough to tell Roxy off and it sounds like she responds (For a while anyway). I'm sure they will be the best of buddies but for your own sanity work on that "Enough" thing Smile

Play fighting B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Tue Aug 11 2015, 23:37

Thank you for the advice. I try not be so stressed about it. She's learning very quickly. Doesn't look like she had much training at all from previous owners. My son (9) is dedicating his school holiday to teaching her new things. She's got sit and lie down covered. Doing very well on lead and off. Used a splitter lead first few times so when we shouted Tyler back she would have to come back. She didn't even respond to her name at first. Worried she was deaf until I asked my son to sneak out and ring the door bell, she's either ignorant or didn't know her name.
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Aug 12 2015, 08:41

This is pretty common, a lot of staffies are very playful by nature and when they play, they play rough! I feel that you need to teach a settle down cue (personally I use "enough") and seperate if they won't settle on their own (put in seperate rooms if needs be initially). It's not really a pecking order deal, they just like to play. My last foster lived with me for 6 months and him and Bug both played as much as I would let them. Only in house/garden, however, I don't allow crazy play in public as it can get out of hand/look awful. I allow running together etc but no wrestling when out and about..

Personally, I don't allow Bug to play off lead with much smaller dogs that she doesn't know because of the risk of accidental injury. However, some dogs will adapt their play style to suit the dog in question. My girl for example is very gentle with puppies and smaller dogs, and will just lie down and play very gently, but she is an ex breeder and very used to pups. This will take time, training and socialization however, and some dogs just "don't get it" and play as they would with bigger dogs.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Aug 12 2015, 22:37

Rachel33 wrote:This is pretty common, a lot of staffies are very playful by nature and when they play, they play rough! I feel that you need to teach a settle down cue (personally I use "enough") and seperate if they won't settle on their own (put in seperate rooms if needs be initially). It's not really a pecking order deal, they just like to play. My last foster lived with me for 6 months and him and Bug both played as much as I would let them. Only in house/garden, however, I don't allow crazy play in public as it can get out of hand/look awful. I allow running together etc but no wrestling when out and about..

Personally, I don't allow Bug to play off lead with much smaller dogs that she doesn't know because of the risk of accidental injury. However, some dogs will adapt their play style to suit the dog in question. My girl for example is very gentle with puppies and smaller dogs, and will just lie down and play very gently, but she is an ex breeder and very used to pups. This will take time, training and socialization however, and some dogs just "don't get it" and play as they would with bigger dogs.

I agree
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Aug 12 2015, 22:46

hello i believe the enough command should be worked on and seperate rooms if at all necessary sounds like your younger dogs needs telling more than the older one in that case. what are they like with regards to eating meals etc id seperate them in that case too until the younger dog learns whats acceptable Smile

Play fighting B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Angiedoll84 Wed Aug 12 2015, 23:22

They eat side by side without bother. I can take food off both of them too. I actually don't think it's aggressive it rough play. I do worry Tyler will put his foot down and possibly hurt her. But more the fact there is a few little dogs they come into contact with a couple times a day. Don't get me wrong each of them are great with little dogs. But I want them to know that it's not OK to play fight with neighbours dogs
Angiedoll84
Angiedoll84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 13 2015, 20:27

If Tyler puts his foot down, it will probably be a snap that Roxy will understand and that will be that. Our three play rough and there are times that Nola, who is 8, will not feel like it. She will give a bark that's completely different to play barking, and the others leave her alone. There have been a couple of occasions that Chaos has given Millie a 'no' and it's fascinating to watch. Short, sharp and clear, usually directed at the head but with no contact. And he really could flatten her if he wanted to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down