+2
Rachel33
JStaff
6 posters

Go down

jumping up and nipping Empty jumping up and nipping

Post by SueP Tue Jul 21 2015, 23:08

Hi all

I've had my 2 year old staffy cross for about 5 months now. His behaviour in general is very good and most of the time he is a lovely natured dog, however, I have had several occurrences where, always in the back garden, he will suddenly become really over excited and start racing around barking and jumping up and nipping. He's done this to my mum and my friend and this evening to me when I was trying to clear up tonnes of stuffing from a swing chair cushion he'd ravaged (won't be leaving them around any more). My mum was ignoring him when he wanted to play and my friend was babysitting and had gone outside to use her mobile phone.

Is this a common problem with Staffies? I don't know much about his history and am new to dogs so could do with some help as I'm not sure what's normal dog behaviour and what isn't. I don't want to give up on him as he's had several owners already in his short life but this behaviour is concerning me a little.

Sue

SueP
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

jumping up and nipping Empty Re: jumping up and nipping

Post by -Ian- Tue Jul 21 2015, 23:18

Ok... Deep breathe Smile

You don't have a devil dog, you have an over excited dog as you've said. Training is the key here, you need to set some boundaries with him and call time out when he gets over excited. Make him sit and stay and reward by all means but don't let him get straight in to this excited phase again. You might even need to give time out in a separate room away from distractions.

They do learn quickly so be consistent and you should come good. He is of course in that teenage phase too so will need to learn what he can and cannot do. This behaviour isn't unusual, however, it's not confined to Staffies alone many other breeds go through this phase.

This will pass rest assured Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

jumping up and nipping B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Jul 21 2015, 23:21

Here are some links that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_stop_your_staffie_jumping_up

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_calm_a_hyperactive_dog
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Jul 22 2015, 08:06

As others have mentioned - this is pretty normal behaviour from an over excited dog that doesn't know their boundaries in play. My will have zoomies at random points still and she's middle aged now, she has knocked me flying a few times and because my partner will play rough with her (!!) she will nip him in excitement and occasionally hump his leg... This may have been how his previous humans played with him or just his reaction to being really excited - I would redirect him onto play with something suitable - a raggy toy for example providing that you haven't found that those overstimulate him more? If this doesn't work and you noticed him getting zoomie I would exit and give him a bit of a time out to settle before he gets OTT. Does he get a chance to run around/play on his walks?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22 2015, 08:17

They 'hyperactive dog' link in particular has great advice. I'd add one main thing. It can be helpful to teach an on/off switch, so that you have more control over when high energy play is ok and when to stop. I do this using a tuggy toy and 'leave it', which is taught beforehand. You teach 'leave it' very simply by giving him something to hold then putting a treat under his nose while saying 'leave it'.

From there you build up to being able to have a rough, tough tuggy game, with you saying 'leave it' from time to time and giving him back the toy for another tug as a reward. But then you decide when it's enough and you put the toy away.

It sounds like he needs plenty of play time - very typical of a staffie of his age - but as Ian says you need boundaries.

You'll be fine. Staffie zoomies and ripping things to shreds can be testing but it is normal and, in a warped kind of way, are part of their charm (did I really just say that???). Make sure there are things for him to rip up - my guys LOVE cardboard and their rope toys - and try to keep important things safe. And for the rest you'll learn to shrug your shoulders and say 'hey, what the heck. It's only another shoe/book/mobile phone/pair of glasses...'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jul 22 2015, 08:45

All good advice can't add to above

jumping up and nipping B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Thu Jul 23 2015, 22:27

Yup Milo does this too. I find if I yell at him it makes him bomb round even faster but is I stay calm and tell him its okay, slow down, thats enough etc in a nice calm voice he stops and sits next to me - albeit shaking - but I tickle his chest etc and he stops. He does get very excited very easily though and I think this is because he doesn't get get much off lead exercise Sad
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by SueP Thu Jul 23 2015, 23:00

Thank you all for your advice, which made me feel a lot better. I've always had cats up to now so whereas there is practically nothing a cat could do that would phase me, dogs are a different matter as it's all new. I have done a lot of training with Scoobs in all areas with help from a dog savvy friend and he is much better than he was when I first got him. He does actually sit and leave nicely on command now when playing now but I am a bit flummoxed and alarmed when he goes into "mad turbo mode" as there seems to be no way of calming him down other than to throw a jug of water over him/fire a water pistol at him.

From all your advice it sounds like keeping going with the training and not panicking at this behaviour is the key,along with lots of exercise and play.

Thank you all

Sue

SueP

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by SueP Thu Jul 23 2015, 23:09

Hi Niffer

Yes, I agree that the amount of off lead exercise plays a part as Rachel mentioned. Thinking back over the last few days I realised that he hadn't had much of this and I'm sure it's a factor. I do let him off when I walk him in our local forest, if I can, and usually I play with him in the garden with a boomer ball and tuggie every evening. Realising now that this obviously makes a big difference! Smile Does Milo have a boomer ball? They r good.

SueP

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by SueP Thu Jul 23 2015, 23:16

Your post did make me chuckle Liz! In Scooby's case it would b "what the heck it's only a swing chair cushion". This has taken me 2 days to clear up and involved hoovering the lawn to pick up half a ton of stuffing. I dread to think what my neighbours thought!

Sue

SueP

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Jul 24 2015, 00:13

SueP wrote:Your post did make me chuckle Liz! In Scooby's case it would b "what the heck it's only a swing chair cushion". This has taken me 2 days to clear up and involved hoovering the lawn to pick up half a ton of stuffing. I dread to think what my neighbours thought!

Sue  

Now that made me laugh Laughing

jumping up and nipping B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down