Horrible walk.

4 posters

Go down

Horrible walk. Empty Horrible walk.

Post by Mistys Mum Mon May 18 2015, 20:54

Well it had to happen, my first argument with a dog walker. Just took Misty to a local park. We went there Friday night and yesterday and both times were great. We had her on the training lead and were playing in the center of the park, no other dogs bothered us and we had a lovely time. Misty had been a star recently not barking or growling at anyone or any dogs.Well tonight we invited my mum to meet us down there as she adores Misty, she even takes photos into work to show off her granddaughter ha ha. Im sure her work colleagues are bored about hearing about our doggy but Im going off topic. So we get to the park and it's empty so we go to the center and put the long training lead on. We are having a great time letting her run between us. Next thing I know there a some big grey dog running up to us, no owner in sight. He bounded up to Misty and started sniffing her, she was ok when they were sniffing face to face but he kept trying to sniff her lady bits and she hated it. She kept turning away but he wouldn't go away. Now I know that I do overreact in these situations, I just feel sick worrying it's going to kick off. So I'm looking for the owner and throwing my arms up as if to show, where are you get your dog. I eventually see the owner, casually strolling around, making no attempt to call his dog. This dog is still bothering her but he doesn't care. So eventually he strolls up and says to me, i take it that's a moan. Now because I'm so stressed by this dog I can't get the correct phrase out. I wanted to say, look my dogs on a lead, you can see she's in training, you've let your dog run up for ages and its not right, you should control your dog and get him away. However what I simply idioticly said was you dog should be on a lead. (I know this was wrong as it was a park) he smugly replied, no they don't actually, then being sarcastic he said oh i thought this was a dog park. I was too stressed to say anything, he took his dog away. Misty was fine, we went back for a walk around the side of the park and a lab came over to her, again off lead and started trying to sniff her again, she didn't like it and thankfully owner called it away. Then a large husky came up to her, they instantly took a dislike to each other and stood there growling at each other. I had a complete breakdown and tried to run to make Misty follow me. She didn't so my husband just grabbed her harness and took her away before anything happened, again no owner anywhere to be seen. By then I'm just too upset so we are headed out then for the cherry on the top five rat type dogs come running up to her, surround her and start barking. She just looks at them, the owners aren't really bothered. So (and i don't blame her one bit as i would do the same if surrounded)Misty started barking and lunging. Then instead of carrying on walking the make owner comes up to Misty who is still barking and lunging trying to pat her, asking is she friendly?. Really, your five dogs have just barked at her and set her off and now your trying to shove your hand in her face? My mum said maybe leave her alone, she's been attacked by dogs in the past and yours have now upset her. We then left the park and came home. My husband had said how wonderful Misty has dealt with everything
She only barked when surrounded,and the husky was growling at her so it was both of them. She took the other two encounters so well. I'm so proud of her. I was saying to my hubby I don't want to go three again after tonight and he made the valid point all parks are like that, there are always owners who don't care what their dogs do and I need to stop worrying to much. I do know that I overreact if I see a dog near us. Misty is the most precious thing in the world to me, I would hate her ever to be hurt by a dog or hurt a dog. Hubby just says most dogs would never try it on with her and to calm down. He's right but it's so hard. She is amazing with it all. I think i might just have to calm down when dogs approach, I always let hubby have the lead in these cases as i know my worry can transfer to her. Moan over.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Horrible walk. Empty Re: Horrible walk.

Post by Mia05 Mon May 18 2015, 21:04

Even tho it is a dog park owners should still be responsible and have their dog on a lead regardless of breed misty done very well and any decent owner should never let their dog.approach unless you say so. It is hard and very frustrating at irresponsible owners and the owners of the wee yappys jack russells think their dogs are wee cute and manageable angry the next time this happens explain very politely you are trying to train your dog and upon approaching any dog your dog should be on a lead at all times Smile it is hard but try and stay calm as the dog picks up on anxiety through the lead and can sense your mood i wouldnt avoid the park altogether either .

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Horrible walk. B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Mon May 18 2015, 21:09

Thanks Crystal. It is hard to remain calm especially when like you say I really believe you shouldn't let your dog run up to a dog without asking. You are right, we should hold our heads up high and go back there tomorrow. I'll just breathe calmly when dogs approach and try not to get stressed. Thanks for that

Horrible walk. B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon May 18 2015, 21:16

It is as i haave been in the situation emma and you don't know how to react

Horrible walk. B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Mon May 18 2015, 23:25

Keeping calm is important because she will definitely pick up on your nerves.
When we first got Suki I was a bit like this as well. We don't have dogs running around off lead here but people are very friendly and I was worried that Suki might overreact to a barking and lunging dog.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 19 2015, 08:01

Ditto the advice on your nerves, Emma. You can actually create a long term problem for Misty by transmitting to her that there is a problem with other dogs. Whenever you see another dog, especially one coming up to you, remember to breathe. Have treats with you and say to Misty, 'wow, look at that lovely dog, here have a treat'. Even if Misty doesn't really need it (it sounds like she's a very good girl), it'll give you something positive to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Tue May 19 2015, 09:52

Thanks everyone, yes you are right I do need to calm down. I think it's just because she used to bark at every dog she met while walking and when I did let her meet them she would end up having a sniff then barking. I need to relax and like you say Liz I'm concerned that I could cause a long term problem and I would hate that to be the case. I did use to do the whole, oh Misty look what a lovely doggy thing but last night I just froze. I need to relax and remember she is such a good girl and I should let her meet dogs as it must be a bit rubbish if you want to meet friends and you aren't allowed to. Just always scared of a bad situation happening but I can't live always being scared. Thanks for the advice, the next time at the park I will be confident and calm

Horrible walk. B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue May 19 2015, 23:12

I agree with the others Emma. My OH Was always nervous until I showed her that if you trust your dog they will surprise you with how well they react in situations like you had. It takes time to build confidence but my OH is pretty much there these days and if she isn't sure she will distract Flo and manage the situation.

Horrible walk. B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down