Which food /dry,raw or both

5 posters

Go down

Which food /dry,raw or both  Empty Which food /dry,raw or both

Post by Giddyaunt Sat Mar 21 2015, 16:20

Hi all. Looking forward to being part of the group. I'm collecting my new staffy on Wed. He will be 9 weeks old. In the past have always had bitches. gsd and they have always had dried food and all 4 of them have lived to a good old age between 16 / 18 years. So sad when they died . It's been 4 years and not had a dog since. But now I've decided to get a male Staffy ( Wilson ) and I can wait. However I'm undecided about feeding him. Either dry dog food. Or raw fresh meat. Or can I combine the 2. Raw and dried. Looking for advice , is one better than the other ? Any help about feeding would be much appreciated x Smile

Giddyaunt
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Which food /dry,raw or both  Empty Re: Which food /dry,raw or both

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21 2015, 17:07

You'll get fans of both raw and complete on here, but one golden rule is that you don't combine the both. The two types of feed digest differently.

I'm a raw feeder and have been for years - starting with a dog we used to have who had more allergies than you'd think possible! The more I looked into dog food, the more raw made sense to me. The dogs love it, do very well and we never have fussy eating problems. I also like to know exactly what they're getting, but then that's how I view our own food too - we eat very little processed food.

There are downsides to raw feeding though. It's more time consuming, you need plenty of freezer space, you need to plan ahead a bit more and (veggie, here), it takes some getting used to from a yuck point of view! Once you get going, though, it's just 2nd nature.

Cost wise, there's probably not a massive difference between raw and good quality dry food. If you have any specific questions about raw, have a look at the section here that might answer your questions already, or ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Mar 21 2015, 17:20

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f125-staffordshire-bull-terrier-raw-food-diets here people have posted what and how much they feed their dogs Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Which food /dry,raw or both  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sat Mar 21 2015, 22:34

I prefer raw as it is much healthier, closer to the diet they would naturally eat, and has no artifical additives.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 22 2015, 22:46

pick one or the other but dont feed raw and kibble at the same time. kibble mixed with raw will lead to a longer digestion time for both. that can mean that the gastric transit for raw being slowed to a level that can cause the squits or worse. raw need to pass through fast. I use kibble most of the time with a raw/fish mix the night before a race as it passes through real quick leaving an empty tum for the race. Its swings and roundabout for both but high fat high protien kibble means I can weigh out each feed with a consistance i couldnt achieve with raw as easily. my bro feads his dobe exclusivley raw and he is doing well on it.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Mar 25 2015, 21:19

We also feed raw and love it!
We fed Bane on kibble as a pup and since switching to raw, he beefed out a bit, he looks really healthy and most importantly we know exactly what he is eating.

It can be time consuming if you go down the DIY route which often works out cheaper. But it can also be just as easy as kibble as you can buy ready made mince nuggets that you just weigh out and feed straight off.

If you're interested in it make sure you do your research and just give it a go! You'll soon see if it works for you and Wilson or not Smile (adorable name btw!)
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down