Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice.

2 posters

Go down

Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice. Empty Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice.

Post by lesley1802 Tue Oct 15 2013, 15:48

HI

So, Cooper has been on the home cooked food diet for one week - due to allergies we have to strip everything back for 6-8 weeks then start to re-introduce foods to find out what he is allergic to. He gets white fish, potatoes and carrots each meal. Boring I know but weve been told lamb, venison and white fish only.. Ill introduce lamb next week.

Before this, we had him down to 2 meals (nature diet and wainwrights kibble) a day with a snack lunchtime of an egg.

Now, he wants 3 large meals per day - Im assuming its because there is no kibble and hes getting hungrier quicker? not as filling for as long?

Anyway, thats not the main concern, I have noticed a difference in his weight, only a few pounds (lost) and Im worried that if it continues, what weight he will be after the 6-8 weeks.

So, what I am looking for is some ideas on what he can eat that will be A) more filling and B) give him the right amount to maintain his weight - ie stop losing weight.

For snacks we've got re-hydrated duck and the fish skin bites.

Hope there is help out there Smile

L
lesley1802
lesley1802
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice. Empty Re: Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 17:08

Have you thought about giving him raw meat instead of cooked? Very often a home cooked diet for dogs actually destroys many of the nutrients they need, hence the reason for so many vitamin/mineral additives to commercial kibble!

Back to top Go down

Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice. Empty Re: Allergies. Home food diet. Losing weight. Need food advice.

Post by lesley1802 Tue Oct 15 2013, 17:13

HI Caryll

I considered raw at the start when we knew we were getting Cooper but we chose not to. Just not something I want to pursue for us.

I am thinking of getting a fish4dogs puppy salmon kibble and mixing through with home cooked - might that help fill his belly and give the nutrients he needs? I dont want to do dry only you see.

Thanks

lesley

lesley1802
lesley1802

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:08

Any reason you wouldn't feed a raw diet, it's what i would always recommend?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:18

By all means use kibble & add a small amount of something else to make it more tasty, but don't add too much or you'll upset the protein balance. Any excess protein will be stored as fat.

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:19

It's a personal choice :)considered it and decided not for us.

And thanks Caryll that's what I'll do then Smile

L
lesley1802
lesley1802

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:21

fair enough but it has proven time and time again to help with allergies Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:27

Raw feeding has been known to really help with allergies, especially severe ones. I understand that you're not keen, but please do read up a bit more about it and see if it grows on you!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Wed Oct 16 2013, 09:58

Raw food was something i really tried to do and consider for long term but due to reasons it wasnt possible,in 'your case' however i think raw diet could be your best option
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down