dog attacks...

2 posters

Go down

dog attacks... Empty dog attacks...

Post by Anon Fri Feb 20 2015, 23:45

I have had my staffy spayed bitch since she was 6 weeks old. She's 9 years old this year. She's started to attack my other dog which is a 2 year old neutered male Pug!

I also have another male Pug who is 8 months old, but she doesn't do anything aggressive towards him. Recently our 11 year old LabX was put to sleep due to old age (last Oct) and she used to attack him when ever food was about. So obviously we would make sure they were separated whenever food was about. Problem solved for a year. But since the death of the LabX, she has started her attacks on the eldest pug and I have studied and watched and done everything I can to find the trigger, but there are none.

She attacks him while he's sleeping and vulnerable. I have contacted local behaviourists and their response has not been great. I was going to rehome the pugs, but someone I know went through a similar thing and when they removed the victim, the dog turned on them.

I have a 4 year old daughter who is autistic and explosive in her tantrums and screaming (but attacks never happen at these times), so this is new to all of us and putting a lot of stress on the family. Now it's impossible to explain to my staffy, why what's happening, is happening.

My autistic daughter will not understand the stress she is causing can affect the dog. It certainly wont stop her being autistic. I feel like I have no where to turn as I don't want my staffy falling into the "System", as I call it (dog rescue centres).

As I know how many Staffys are put down every day. But I feel I cant keep her in this situation any more.....HELP!!! What do I do?

Anon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

dog attacks... Empty Re: dog attacks...

Post by -Ian- Sat Feb 21 2015, 19:49

Oh dear this sounds like it has you in a real mix of emotions. You seem to think that your daughters behaviour is affecting your Staff, have you only noticed this recently ?. The reason I ask is that obviously your daughter has grown up with your Staff so would have thought she would be used to your daughter.

Turning to the attacks, you've watched and can see no pattern so perhaps there just isn't one but it does sound odd that she strikes when the Pug is asleep. Do the Pugs get more attention than your Staff, being younger ?

As for turning on humans should the victim be removed, I very much doubt this would happen especially if there has been nothing in her past to suggest it might happen in the future.

Now comes what to do. I can't offer a ready made solution unfortunately. If the dogs are fighting then they cannot be left alone together so your only options are to rehome or keep them but keep them separated. Do they fight all the time ? Or is it just when the Pug is asleep. If it's the latter make them sleep in seperate rooms.

I'm not sure if any of what Ive said has helped but there might be some things there to consider.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

dog attacks... B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down