Dog attacks wheels

3 posters

Go down

Dog attacks wheels Empty Dog attacks wheels

Post by rphl_lxndr Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:25

Hi, I just got a Staffie yesterday despite my wife's trepidation about the breed. The dog is everything you could ever imagine. Quiet as a mouse, sweet, affectionate, well-behaved, respectful... we couldn't believe our luck.

Then today a terrifying incident. My wife was mowing the lawn and the dog attacked the wheel, picking the lawnmower up. After I removed her with difficulty, we had to try another wheeled object to see what was the matter.

We brought out our children's wagon and stroller. She attacked both very viciously. As I'm sure you're aware these dogs are impressive when they're in attack mode.

My heart is heavy because my wife wants to return the dog. Is it a lost cause? We have children, so we can't have the dog attacking strollers.

rphl_lxndr
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog attacks wheels Empty Re: Dog attacks wheels

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:35

I think perhaps she was trained to got for the tires, I know alot of people hang them from tree's encouraging the dogs to jump and grip and tear at the tire,
I allow my boy taz to play with his tire but never to this extent i always calm him down but it looks as if they didn't bother, Other than keep her on a leash and correct her every time she shows a "wanting" for the tires/wheels there isn't much else to do,
you can try shaking a can of pennies near her when she tries to attack it, verbal commands such as leave and give a lead correction.
You can also use a repellant spray so she hates the taste and smell of the wheel, though with this you would have to spray all the wheels around your home and other ones she goes for.

Back to top Go down

Post by rphl_lxndr Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:39

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, we 're not so much worried about our own things as we are other people. If she sees a stroller or wagon on the street and attacks the wheels or tries to get at it, it's going to look like she's trying to attack children!

She's a rescue dog so we don't know what her history is like. Sad

rphl_lxndr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:39

No its not a lost cause you have only just got the dog so start as you mean to go on correction is now needed you have to show the puppy whats acceptable and whats not. they are very resilient and want to please there owners but if they think thats a good game then they will play it rough.
Tell the pup no and mean what you say you will find as you as a family bond together just your change in voice will assert her to listen to you.
You will have a good faithful dog there if you put time and effort into training her and you will not regret giving her a home Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:44

I'm not saying it going to be easy, practice on your own wheelsat home, using these techniques, plently or training and effort especially the a good strong leave command that way when you see a stroller down the road you can tell her leave it and she will, have yourself holding her on the lead and your wife perhaps walking past with a stroller. Its going to take a lot of work these dogs are very head strong, but like Gem said all they want is to please you, so let her know what you accept and what you do not.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:50

Its the movement that attracks your girl to the wheel and also lots of toys that shes had in the past are made of the same rubber texture they have a very accute smell she probably things its familiar so okay. Leave her on the lead if she goes to attack the wheels a slight pull on the lead and no or leave get someone else to walk past with the mower and pushchairs and bikes while you correct the behavior . It may not happen over night and you will need to keep a check but if your consistent she will learn. Dont give up on her you havent given her a chance to prove herself and she will Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:53

MissRogue wrote:I'm not saying it going to be easy, practice on your own wheelsat home, using these techniques, plently or training and effort especially the a good strong leave command that way when you see a stroller down the road you can tell her leave it and she will, have yourself holding her on the lead and your wife perhaps walking past with a stroller. Its going to take a lot of work these dogs are very head strong, but like Gem said all they want is to please you, so let her know what you accept and what you do not.
Im so slow at typing clair you post while im typing and agree with you didnt mean to copy we think alike Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 00:59

Lol its quite alright i'm pretty very fast at typing, we probablly started replying arund the same time lol

Back to top Go down

Post by rphl_lxndr Mon Jul 11 2011, 01:10

Thanks for the advice, I'll try your recommendations!

rphl_lxndr

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:14

When u take on a rescue they really have to be treated as a pup for a while......They may need to re visit toilet training and will probably need to be re trained. Remember its up 2 u to show her what she should and shouldnt be doing, she doesnt know shes not supposed to attack tyres, u have to teach her the leave it command and praise her when she does it right x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:21

Hi there.

Just wondering if your new Staffy is a pup or dog? What age is she?

And if she is not a pup, what is her history????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:24

Not sure of the age of the dog lisa but they say they dont no the history as its a rescue x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11 2011, 14:25

blaze wrote:Not sure of the age of the dog lisa but they say they dont no the history as its a rescue x

oops, I must've missed that bit Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Mon Jul 11 2011, 15:38

My blaze had a thing for wheels and I don't know where she got it from. You literally have to train it out of her, all the above advice is good advice and should work if you stick at it and be consistent.

Good luck with it, and ,et us know how it goes x

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content