Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks

3 posters

Go down

Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks Empty Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks

Post by densil Mon Feb 09 2015, 10:23

We have had Densil for nearly 3 yrs now and he is 6yrs old. When we first got him he used to love his walks - first thing in the morning he would get a nice long walk and then another shorter one in the afternoon. The only time he will not go out is if it is raining or even looking like it. However, just lately he has become reluctant to go out in the mornings. Take today for example. It is a fine, dry, day and the sun is shining. He is just lazing in the sun and when I get his lead and say "walkies" he looks at me gone out. i have tried putting my coat on and getting my walking shoes but no use. Eventually he might decide he wants to go out around lunchtime. I know it isn't anything to do with health problems as he has recently had his annual jabs and check up at the vets. Is it just that as they get older they don't need so many walks?
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks Empty Re: Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks

Post by densil Mon Feb 09 2015, 11:36

I would add that I thought it might have been the cold weather and he does have a coat for that, but even if I don't get his coat he is still not interested. I also try varying the routes we take although I am limited as we don't have a car, so I try and walk different routes every day but of course he knows all these now, but I try and make sure we go where there is grass and bushes so he can have a good sniff. I can't take him on busy roads as he still gets anxious with heavy lorries/tractors etc. I walk him on a lead all the time, although some days I take him to a small park area and if there are no other dogs around I put him on a long training line which gives him a bit more freedom.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks Empty Re: Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 09 2015, 11:46

Have you tried taking along a special toy ?, maybe a squeaky toy would help. Do you take him out for walkies at the same time each day ? maybe vary the times a little if you can. Are you able to go with a friend of yours to make the walks a bit different for him ?

It could be that he feels the cold a bit maybe in his joints ? have you discussed this with the vet ? He may need a joint supplement ??
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:01

Thanks Kathy - I don't have anyone else who can join us, although we did walk to the bus stop with my husband the other day and I notice he pulls a lot more than usual when there are 2 of us. and yes I do vary the times as I am now waiting until he is ready for a walk, although we do not go out in the dark. We finally went out today at 10.45 and he was fine, but I did notice the pavements were still frosty where the sun hadn't been so it may just be the cold weather he doesn't like.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Feb 09 2015, 14:51

This isn't so unusual. My Flo will do this and it becomes a battle of wills. I have tried different ways out of the house etc but like you say they get wise to this. If there are two of us or we take the car then all is fine.

She resolutely refuses to go with my youngest son (14) simply because she knows he will give in. I have even resorted to picking her up and carrying her down the road. Once at the park she loves it, the problem was simply getting her there !

I simply didn't give in to her and She now knows that if we are going for a walk then that is exactly what is going to happen and will trot down the road quiet happily Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Densil has become reluctant to go on morning walks B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down