stig
Sazzle
janey
densil
9 posters

Go down

Densil escaped! Empty Densil escaped!

Post by densil Wed Apr 10 2013, 15:27

So annoyed at the dustmen - they emptied our bin and then left it in the gateway with the gate open. We opened the front door and Densil just ran between our legs out of the gate and was gone. I called him back and whistled, but nothing. Panic stricken I went inside and loaded my pockets up with treats and got his lead. Opened the door just in time to see him come running back in the gate. What a relief! I think he must have got going up the road and realised something was missing - ME.

So glad he came back - this happened when we only had him a couple of weeks and we both had to go out looking for him and he just wouldn't come back when we saw him. My husband had to corner him and grab hold of him in the end. Think he realises he is in a nice place now and it's worth coming back, lol. nail biting
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Densil escaped! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Densil escaped! Empty Re: Densil escaped!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 15:29

Alfie did this the other day, I opened the door to someone and he's usually pretty good he will just sit behind me but he shot out to say hello to the guy, I panicked thinking he would run off but he came back in as soon as i told him to.

It really is a heart stopping moment though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 15:31

scary at least he came back!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 15:34

Scary! Glad he came back quickly though Smile I keep the doors closed at all times when the front door is open just in case.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:15

At least he came back! He has settled with you but just be carefull I have heard of some horrific accidents >Big Grin<
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:17

Terrifying but glad he came back to his happy place!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:38

Glad he's okay! >Big Grin< Must have been frightening!

You may want to consider putting a sign on the gate to let people know that it should be kept shut, as a dog lives there. Also, you could try putting a puppy/baby gate up just before the front door to ensure that he can't get through Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:56

We had a scarey moment whjen Tilly was quite young, Sunday afternoon had family round and went out to say goodbye , didn't notice Tilly had sneaked out behind us , came back in settled on the couch to watch TV and after 15 mins realised something was missing , my heart sank , she would be 6 months old tops.
Daughter was upstairs looking for her , I checked downstairs and then realised what must have happened , looked out the front window and poor Tilly was sat in the front garden staring up to the window with her ears down waiting to be let back in Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 10 2013, 18:09

Very scary, glad it was ok Big Grin

Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 18:13

Glad he came back for you, when Stig has escaped in the past(about 3 timea) I've had to go hedgehopping and get him back. He's a bugger at times. What worries me is not so much him not coming back but knowing that if someone found him round here I'd probably never see him again
stig
stig
Densil escaped! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 18:29

My heart would have stopped tbh. Glad it turned out ok though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Apr 10 2013, 19:26

This one of the great fears I have, thankfully we only have a rear lockable gate not a front one. Our front door open straight onto a pathway so have to put Rocky in his crate whenever the front door is opened. I'm sure my heart would have been in my mouth too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 19:36

I've got a 3-fold gate across our front door now, after Kuchar proved that he was a Houdini (woo - way out to the main road, play with the traffic, what fun) and promptly went deaf, which aged me by twenty years in 10 minutes. Anyone coming to the front door has to speak to us over this gate now, and are not let in until Kuchar is securely grabbed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 21:46

Oh no I couldn't imagine how you were feeling! Glad he realized you were missing though Laughing well done Densil for coming back this time! Big Grin dustmen are terrible around here too, one of my friends huskies got out because of a similar situation!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Apr 10 2013, 22:35

I came home one lunch time to find marley knackerd on the driveway. i thought he must have stayed local and let him in with releif and he polished off a whole bowl of food in seconds.
Next night claire took him to the park as I was taking laska to puppy parties and she text me to say that several people has sighted him the day before running through town and then chasing squirelles in the park some 2 miles away and over a duel carrageway and two main roads... retrospective panic set in and to this day I dont know how he got out! needless to say I watch him like a hawk in the garden now and his free roaming is none existant the lil bugger
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 23:55

Thank god he came back worried It must have been a horrid few minutes for you though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 06:20

That must have been very scary and glad to hear it turned out okay

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Apr 11 2013, 07:09

Eleanor wrote:Glad he's okay! >Big Grin< Must have been frightening!

You may want to consider putting a sign on the gate to let people know that it should be kept shut, as a dog lives there. Also, you could try putting a puppy/baby gate up just before the front door to ensure that he can't get through Smile

I had been thinking about a sign for the gate and will have a look into that, although we had been planning to get new gates at the front and put one of those self-closing mechanisms on it. The dustman had wedged the bin in the gateway but he managed to get through the gap. Normally when we both go out the door we tell him to "stay" and he does. He obviously saw there was a way out and went for it. Regards the gate, we have a tall savic dog gate in the kitchen and he has leapt over this from a standing position, so not going to trust using one of those.
densil
densil
Densil escaped! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Thu Apr 11 2013, 07:48

I'm not overly keen on signs for gates/windows due to the rumours of these pikeys stealing dogs. If they are true, it's just an invitation IMO. I can imagine how sick u felt. Not a nice feeling.
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 08:02

So glad he came straight home. Smile I would have been terrified.

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Thu Apr 11 2013, 17:32

This was a fear of mine since day one. We live on a cul-de-sac so it's not as bad as it could be, but we don't have any fences so once out the door, she's free.

With this in mind, I've been intentionally letting Mia off the lead when we're out the front of the house specifically so that if she does go out the front door, she doesn't think of it as being exciting or interesting.

It seems to have done the trick as she'll happily trot out the front but never tries to get away. I was even out fixing the car the other day and she was out with me off the lead for a while. I made sure I called her when she looked like straying from the boundaries of the house but she didn't look like she was interested in clearing off.

Trying to work on the car, keep one eye on her, and avoid the violent licking every time I lay on the ground to go under the car got a bit much so I put her back in. Smile

Of course this may not be down to my cunning training techniques, but simply because there's no way she'll stray more than 30 feet from her food bowl.
durbster
durbster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mia

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:59

durbster wrote:This was a fear of mine since day one. We live on a cul-de-sac so it's not as bad as it could be, but we don't have any fences so once out the door, she's free.

With this in mind, I've been intentionally letting Mia off the lead when we're out the front of the house specifically so that if she does go out the front door, she doesn't think of it as being exciting or interesting.

It seems to have done the trick as she'll happily trot out the front but never tries to get away. I was even out fixing the car the other day and she was out with me off the lead for a while. I made sure I called her when she looked like straying from the boundaries of the house but she didn't look like she was interested in clearing off.

Trying to work on the car, keep one eye on her, and avoid the violent licking every time I lay on the ground to go under the car got a bit much so I put her back in. Smile

Of course this may not be down to my cunning training techniques, but simply because there's no way she'll stray more than 30 feet from her food bowl.

We have been doing this with Densil as well. If I go out the front to put the bins out I will let him come out with me, although I keep an eye on him as I am worried he will jump the gate - another reason why we want to replace them. We had been out there earlier yesterday when somebody walked by across the road with 3 small yappie dogs who were making a hell of a racket. He answered back but I held onto his collar in case he thought about jumping over going after them. Also, when we come back from walks I close the gate and then him run to the front door and take his lead/harness off outside - he is always eager to get inside. I think this may have helped when he got out yesterday.
densil
densil
Densil escaped! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Apr 11 2013, 19:41

My hubby took Diesel for a walk in the evening a few weeks bk. It was dark, Diesel hadn't been out in the dark for a walk before.

Anyway, they had been walking a few mins, made it a cpl of roads away when she apparently froze, wouldn't move and wriggled out of her collar !
She bolted off, hubby freaking out behind her, he lost sight of her .., luckily she had run straight home, she woulda had to cross 2 roads.

I was annoyed and relieved all at once !

She now has collar and harness on when going out !

These silly staffys eh !
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Fri Apr 12 2013, 20:07

densil wrote:We have been doing this with Densil as well.
Ah OK, that's good to know. It's best we don't get too cocky about something like this!
durbster
durbster

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down