Chewing! Help!

+2
KITA90
CarolT
6 posters

Go down

Sad Chewing! Help!

Post by CarolT Wed Feb 04 2015, 19:59

I'm really at the end of my tether. My pup is 9 months and chewing everything!
Tea towels,bedding,blankets, coats, shoes, socks..you name it..he chews it.

I got home today and his crate was a mess of foam ripped out of his new bed.I managed to sew it back together but now he has ripped it apart again. I can't even buy a plastic bed to replace it with because he chews the blankets i would put in there.
The majority of my tea towels have corners torn and his blankets are full of holes!

Please help me!
CarolT
CarolT
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Chewing! Help!

Post by KITA90 Wed Feb 04 2015, 20:06

Hi Carol....

Tommy is still a puppy, and like any baby is exploring with his mouth. Teaching him that this behaviour is wrong takes patience and persistence. Every time Tommy picks something up that isn't his, simply remove from him and replace with something he can have. Does he have enough toys and enrichment? Stuffed kongs are a winner, frozen kongs are even better for when he's left in his crate. Toy boxes are useful, everything that belong to Tommy belongs in there...that way he will learn to go to the box for something to play with rather than sniffing out something that he shouldn't.

It does get annoying after a while but its just part of growing up and he doesn't know any better. Hope this helps Smile
KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Feb 04 2015, 20:07

Ok first off how much exercise does he get on a daily basis? what is he fed on? and do you leave anything such as a filled kon when you leave him alone? when you have time pop along and say hi in the intro section Big Grin
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Chewing! Help! B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by CarolT Wed Feb 04 2015, 20:22

He has rubber toys and hard toys, as he has destroyed all his softer toys,he pulls balls apart in minutes. He does have a Kong which he has food in when we're out, and he's not left for long periods.

He goes for 2-3 good walks a day. He's on dry Royal Canin food, he has to have a special diet for his sensitive belly.

I understand he is testing everything, I just can't get him to stop chewing his bed , and I don't want him just sleeping on bare floors but that's where it's headed.We've already had him staying overnight at the vets because of things he has been eating, and i worry he is going to come to harm.
CarolT
CarolT

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Feb 04 2015, 21:57

it does get better you will look back on this one day and say "remember when he did this" distracting him with his own toys when he goes for something he shouldn't and high praise when he ignores the item he has chewed eventually he will get the message.

Chewing! Help! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Feb 05 2015, 00:11

Oh nightmare times. For his bedding, if he's ripping it up don't go out and buy expensive stuff, buy cheep blankets etc and put that in his cage. He will soon work out that this is comfy in one piece. Let him get on with it. Ensure that there is nothing that he can get hold of that could result in a repeat visit to the vet.

He is still young and hasn't quiet worked out what's good and what isn't, these are going to be trying times for you and many an eye roll I should think. Stick with firm rules, you're going to appreciate that going forward.

Keep the faith, it will get better Smile

Chewing! Help! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Feb 05 2015, 21:30

Bane used to be a bed destroyer. We would come back to his bed upside down, blankets ripped up, water bowl knocked over and a very sad looking puppy trying to curl up on a corner of what's left of a soggy blanket.

We found that he grew out of it. I guess he learnt that a comfy bed was better than 2 minutes of madness!
As for everything else, it took consistent reinforcement.

Have you tried maybe some sort of bed training? So when he goes into his crate and lays down nicely and calmy, praise him and treat him. Or bring his bed out of the crate and practice him laying on it nicely. Treat when he is calm and not trying to pull it apart or play with it.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06 2015, 08:59

-Ian- wrote:Oh nightmare times. For his bedding, if he's ripping it up don't go out and buy expensive stuff, buy cheep blankets etc and put that in his cage. He will soon work out that this is comfy in one piece. Let him get on with it. Ensure that there is nothing that he can get hold of that could result in a repeat visit to the vet.

He is still young and hasn't quiet worked out what's good and what isn't, these are going to be trying times for you and many an eye roll I should think. Stick with firm rules, you're going to appreciate that going forward.

Keep the faith, it will get better Smile

Echo this. When you can get the 'it doesn't matter' thing going, your life becomes much less stressful. Hide or at least put out of reach anything that you do mind about, and fill his life with cheap stuff you don't care about.

One thing I've come across recently is the picture framer's. People take pictures in cardboard tubes which the framer has no use for so he lets people help themselves. They make brilliant disposable toys - you can fill them with treats and squidge the ends closed for more fun, and then just throw them away (in the recycling bin, of course!). Plus it doesn't matter if they eat any, it's only cardboard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down