Mia05
Kathy
Mitchell
Debs01
8 posters

Go down

dogs and cats Empty dogs and cats

Post by Debs01 Fri Nov 28 2014, 07:06

I was just pondering on why a lot of dogs hate cats so much. If axl sees one he goes loopy and I'm sure he's not the only one. Nobody taught him cats are for munchies it's so strange why the aversion to cats? Is it an inbuilt thing in dogs to chase cats? Same with foxes why the hate for foxes? Very interesting!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

dogs and cats Empty Re: dogs and cats

Post by Mitchell Fri Nov 28 2014, 09:54

I'm not sure why they are so loopy about cats specifically. Maybe they do it for the chase as they know they will run?

The worst is when you get a cat that stands its ground on the pavement and you have to cross the road to avoid it haha. Makes you feel a bit of a prat.
Mitchell
Mitchell
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Nov 28 2014, 10:11

The worst is when you get a cat that stands its ground on the pavement and you have to cross the road to avoid it haha. Makes you feel a bit of a prat.

lol that's what I had to do the other night, the cat wouldn't move, it sat down even though Axl was going loopy at it! I've also had to turn around and walk the other way because a cat was sitting in an alley way. I swear they laugh when they do it as well Laughing Laughing
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Nov 28 2014, 12:42

I'm not entirely sure why this is. A cat would usually be boss over a dog. It could be that the dog may see the cat as a challenger over his territory so therefore would not want it to be around ??? sorry don't know for sure, never had a cat, I'm more a dog person.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Nov 28 2014, 20:06

Me neighbours cat used to chase the neighbours dog down the car park so funny the cat was fearless

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

dogs and cats B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah&Michael UK Fri Nov 28 2014, 21:17

Its just the chase, a big game to them, if my staffy catches a squirrel etc she always lets go after shes caught it, as my springer spaniels would chase then kill,

Hannah&Michael UK
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dogs and cats Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Nov 29 2014, 19:13

Hannah&Michael UK wrote:Its just the chase,  a big game to them, if my staffy catches a squirrel etc she always lets go after shes caught it, as my springer spaniels would chase then kill,

That's interesting. The only dog I've seen is a Springer catch a Squirrel in Flo's big park and the woman owner was very embarrassed. Now my Flo loves chasing them and has managed to get up right behind one but never tried to actually catch it confused

As for Cats, Flo will go hell for leather after one if she can but fortunately she's always been on a lead when we've seen one out. Foxes are another adversary but the ones round here just sit and stare.. They think they are Ninja foxes or something raised eyebrows

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

dogs and cats B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah&Michael UK Sat Nov 29 2014, 20:06

My 6 yearold staffy caught a baby squirrel that I believe had fell out of the tree, she caught it but then let go thankfully, I hate it when my springers catch squirrels as they eat them, and yeah the foxes near me only seem to come out at night so not a big problem with them but the springers seem to roll in there poo which isnt the nicest smell haha

Hannah&Michael UK
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dogs and cats Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Nov 29 2014, 22:43

i think cats excite the prey drive in the way they act while foxes do the same with scent but act as preditory competition which dogs hate . my two have sadley dispatched both, in the case of the fox it was pure agression and over in seconds before i could even step in, no blood or wounds just crush bites. the poor cat excited the sibe side of them and was seen as a toy, i saw a couple of play bows before they followed it through the hedge and marley gave it a shake. not proud and im only sharing as a warning to owners with dogs that high prey drive which most terriers do. and dont get complacent with dogs accepting family cats, they will pack with them but anything outside the family home can be fair game.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Dec 01 2014, 21:45

Bane has met my parents cats a few times and was absolutely fine with them at the start. With one he would sniff and let her rub herself around his legs, then would just walk off not bothered.
But just lately, something has changed and all he wants to do is go for any cat he sees. The last meeting they had I watched as he sniffed at her, all was fine then he started jumping and lunging at her, snapping and barking, which I am pretty certain if I left him to continue he would bite her.

We were walking past a cat the other day too, and he just lunged at it and had a bit of a scuffle. Not really sure why his behaviour has changed? Unless it is just a hardwired thing as they are prey? Not much help sorry as I am just as confused! Big Grin
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Dec 01 2014, 22:35

Bane wrote:Bane has met my parents cats a few times and was absolutely fine with them at the start. With one he would sniff and let her rub herself around his legs, then would just walk off not bothered.
But just lately, something has changed and all he wants to do is go for any cat he sees. The last meeting they had I watched as he sniffed at her, all was fine then he started jumping and lunging at her, snapping and barking, which I am pretty certain if I left him to continue he would bite her.

We were walking past a cat the other day too, and he just lunged at it and had a bit of a scuffle. Not really sure why his behaviour has changed? Unless it is just a hardwired thing as they are prey? Not much help sorry as I am just as confused! Big Grin
its strange mate, my brothers dobe will bark and play bow a cat in the garden but will never approach it yet out on the street he will go in full on hunting mode as do mine. for me the risk is to unpredictable so i do a sweep of the garden now to make sure no cats about before i let them out. Marleys brother lives with a cat that sleeps on top of him and he has the same prey drive, my ex also has a staffy cross mastiff that lives with two chinchillas who nibble his toes yet he hates cats. think the moral of the story is prey drive is unpredictable and best er onthe side of caution
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Dec 02 2014, 21:37

Yeah strange is one word for it Nathan! We have our garden fenced off from Bane otherwise we would have to do a sweep for cats too! Don't think I fancy that conversation with the neighbours even if they do poop in my veg patch Laughing
That's funny about the chinchillas! I can just imagine it Big Grin I always hoped we could get a cat one day and they would be best of friends and all goofy with each other but I'm not tempting fate! :/
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Dec 02 2014, 22:13

here is riley, lol 42kg of staffy cross mastiff cutness bless him. love this boy so much he is a real sweetheart Love Struck Love Struck Love Struck
dogs and cats 1609983_10152376345861663_602701797_n_zpsb3ac0511
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Dec 02 2014, 22:24

That is a fab pic Big Grin What a cutey! I never thought I would ever see a chinchilla chilling on a dogs back!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down