Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo???

+6
Nosipho
goldie87
mickgill
Kathy
Bella'sDaddy
Tiny
10 posters

Go down

Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo??? Empty Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo???

Post by Tiny Sun Jan 06 2013, 09:31

I have just seen my dog have a poo, sniff at it and then eat it!!! eeeewwwww I dont want to s and am not sure why he does this, the other day we noticed him sniffing on a walk and he ended up eating another dogs/cats!

I have read this could be due to nutrient deficiencies but not sure why that is...the food he is currently on is the supadog with pedigree (wet) food mixed in. I have also heard that pineapple will stop him eating his own so might give that a try.

We do clean up straight away but on the odd occasion if we cant get to him straight away he is at it....any ideas would be welcomed please. I apologies if this has been asked before.
Tiny
Tiny
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog(s) Ages : 17 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo??? Empty Re: Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo???

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 09:33

The pineapple should help. When they are pups they eat the feces to keep the den clean and not have to wander from mom. Not sure why they eat the cat poo though

Back to top Go down

Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo??? Empty Re: Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo???

Post by Bella'sDaddy Sun Jan 06 2013, 11:27

Bella was always eating her poo when I first got her. I asked the vet about it and he asked me what I was feeding her. At the point I was still feeding her the Asda Hero Puppy Food (yes I know it's rubbish) as that is what she had been fed on / her mother had been fed on. He recommended that I swap her to a better quality food, and touch wood she hasn't eaten her poo since. He said that the cheap foods contains lots of additives and flavourings so the poo comes out smelling similar to how it went it. Might just be a coincidence but it worked for her.

Bella'sDaddy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jan 06 2013, 11:43

Getting to it before the dog does is of course the best way to deal with this, however a very good Leave command would also work.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny Sun Jan 06 2013, 17:34

Thanks he responds well to leave its just as he has a sniff and then chop eats it!! I will have a look at changing his food see if that helps!
Tiny
Tiny

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:25

Bella is really bad for that. Not her own but she seems to think the cat litter tray is a treat box and I caught her sitting behind Millie waiting while she pooped. The leave command works quite well with her. Millie finds the whole thing completely disgusting sick Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 22:59

I haven't experienced a dog eating its own poo, although I know it happens. Other dog's poo and even cat's poo - yes. I've always put it down to that poo contains some smell of a food that my dog finds intriguing and when I can I give a stong "leave it" command and drag him away if necessary. Generally I think it must be a natural response - waste not, want not.

But as I say, eating their OWN poo I haven't thankfully come across although I've heard of it - but Bella'sDaddy's advice above sounds very feasible.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny Sun Jan 06 2013, 23:08

so why does pineapple stop this happening lol x
Tiny
Tiny

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Jan 07 2013, 10:08

Duke was doing it but he isn't now, i stood over him when he pooped he would turn and go to eat it i would shout a loud NO and Away, he soon picked the command up and now he just walks away from it .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:44

Tiny wrote:so why does pineapple stop this happening lol x

No idea - I would have thought that if the dog eats the pineapple first time round, he'll eat it second time round as well. Jstaff?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:37

In Zeus's case, yes, it's normal.

When I got him at 8 weeks old, he'd do nothing but go straight for his poo. I read up all sorts of stuff that might work to get him to stop doing it (pineapple chunks, charcoal biscuits, stool repel tablets from pets at home) and none of them worked.

As said previously in the thread, the only thing that will work is that you keep telling your pup off when he goes for it.

A few people with dogs + vet told me to pick the poo up as soon as possible so Zeus doesnt see it, but I actually done the opposite. I left his poo out there, waiting for him to go for it, once he did, I told him off (a firm NO). He has to make the mistake first to realise it is actually a mistake!

He's now 11 months old and has only stopped eating his poo since he was around 7/8 months.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:43

What is your pup currently fed on? I would try changing his food as sounds nutritional.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jan 08 2013, 11:51

Nosipho wrote:What is your pup currently fed on? I would try changing his food as sounds nutritional.

That's another thing that everyone kept saying - that pups eat their poo because they are lacking something nutrionally. I don't really believe that to be honest, as Zeus has been on 4/5 different foods and would always have the problem. I spoke to an independant pet shop owner when I got Zeus and he explained that the theory of them lacking something nutritional hasn't been proved.

Sure, try changing the food, but this didn't stop Zeus.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08 2013, 16:09

Loki's just started doing this, but other dogs', not his own. He's on Wainwright's though, so I don't see how it's nutritional. Ugh, they're so annoying sometimes Laughing. I think if changing the food doesnt work, simply being around to tell him to leave it will have to be tried.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:48

goldie87 - it has never been proven completely why they do this and its a difficult habit to break. I tihkn there is more than one reason why dogs can be prone to doing this, one cure which may work for one dog might not work for another. worth a try though.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jan 09 2013, 15:58

Nosipho wrote:goldie87 - it has never been proven completely why they do this and its a difficult habit to break. I tihkn there is more than one reason why dogs can be prone to doing this, one cure which may work for one dog might not work for another. worth a try though.

Yep, totally agree with you. Another theory that I had was that Zeus may have seen his Mother cleaning up after him (eating his poo), and he may have thought that's acceptable or that's the way things should be and followed suit.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Mon Jan 14 2013, 17:43

I watched a lurcher drop one the other day and then watched his mate gobble it down as quickly as possible.

Then it tried to lick me. sick
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Mani Mon Jan 14 2013, 20:37

Mine will only eat horse poo... yuck!
Mani
Mani
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is it normal for dogs to eat their own and other dogs/cats poo??? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mani
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male - neutered
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:13

Bacchus likes nothing better than a quick raid on the cat litter tray if we're not quick enough in cleaning it out. He also likes a snack of rabbit poo when out for a walk.
On a serious note, our veterinary nurse recommended worming him monthly because of this.
Opinions please.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Jan 15 2013, 12:25

I can't recall Bailey ever doing this Surprised and Sierra doesn't either unless its the occasional rabbit plop!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down