You may or may not agree. But it worked for me!

5 posters

Go down

You may or may not agree. But it worked for me! Empty You may or may not agree. But it worked for me!

Post by LisaAlfie Sun Nov 16 2014, 20:41

Hi
My Alfie is by no means an aggressive dog, but can sometimes be unpredictable with strange dogs. So today I tried a different tact....I muzzled him! Some may not agree with this, but I felt so much more relaxed knowing he couldn't make a mistake, I think this had a huge impact on Alfie. We were on a very popular dog walk and rather than keep him on a short lead when we passed other dogs I encouraged him to approach each and every dog we came across (owners permitting). I did explain to every person (with dog or not) that he's not as scary as he looked and although some took a wide berth others were very understanding and allowed their dogs to approach. Alfie never put a foot wrong! Unfortunately it was the parents with children that stayed away, which I completely understand, but Alf loves ALL humans and was a little confused by this.
Just wanted to share my day, as this could possibly help others. I COMPLETELY enjoyed our walk, we were out for hours! Just goes to show how your emotions effect your dog.

Proud mummy tonight Love Struck
LisaAlfie
LisaAlfie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

You may or may not agree. But it worked for me! Empty Re: You may or may not agree. But it worked for me!

Post by -Ian- Sun Nov 16 2014, 20:56

I have no problem with this, if it works for you and makes walking better for both of you that's great. I wonder weather he will become more sociable knowing that your not worrying too Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

You may or may not agree. But it worked for me! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

You may or may not agree. But it worked for me! Empty Re: You may or may not agree. But it worked for me!

Post by LisaAlfie Sun Nov 16 2014, 21:02

Thanks Ian. That's the plan. Relaxed mummy relaxed Alfie Big Grin
LisaAlfie
LisaAlfie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Nov 16 2014, 21:42

if it works keep at it,you enjoyed your walk and so did alfie,main thing thumbs up
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaAlfie Sun Nov 16 2014, 21:46

Thanks Stella, I was worried I'd get negative comments for muzzling him, but I think if it gets a positive response then it's got to be a good thing Smile
LisaAlfie
LisaAlfie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Nov 16 2014, 22:48

If it works for you then thumbs up if Alfie is more controlled and content then that's another thumbs up. I don't think anyone would say it's a bad thing if it enhances behaviour and walking experience Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

You may or may not agree. But it worked for me! B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Nov 17 2014, 08:33

I don't have a problem with muzzles - they're literally a life saver for some. Glad you both enjoyed your walk.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:05

I'm with the others. If Alfie doesn't have a problem with the muzzle, then go for it. Yes, you may get some looks from others but so what. The other thing you'll probably find is that those who usually let their dogs bound up to others with a cry of 'it's ok, he's only being friendly' will call their dogs away from a muzzled dog, and so give Alfie a bit more space.

It's good that you managed some low key interactions at the same time, and hopefully with time you'll find some people to give him a cuddle too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 17 2014, 09:55

Nothing wrong with it if it works for you. Do you keep him on the lead when muzzled ?

My hubby was walking Rocky the other day and came across a little yappy dog that was off lead and muzzled which kept trying to get hold of Rocky. Good job Rocky didn't react as this loose dog would not have been able to defend herself though. This is my only concern with muzzling a dog.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaAlfie Mon Nov 17 2014, 14:06

Hi,
Yes I keep Alfie on a long line. I'm very conscious that if he goes trotting over to someone looking like hanibal lecter he may frighten the life out of them.Surprised I only let him off when there is no one around, or when he is paying with his regular chums(but the muzzle is off then anyway).
LisaAlfie
LisaAlfie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down